Monster House - Frontrunner for the Best Animated Film Oscar. (No, really!)

ultimatedjf

Click here, then, in the "Cream of the Crop" section, click Richard Roeper's "Full Review." It's a sound byte from the Ebert/Roeper show that's about 2 1/2 minutes, but I guarantee that once you listen to it, you'll want to see Monster House.

This is the official thread for the film, and once the movie comes out, it can be talked about here. I'm seeing it in Digital 3-D, hopefully this weekend.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this was the first film I've seen this year to get a **** (A) rating from me. (Took more than half the year.)

This movie is, simply put, AMAZING.

Destined to be a classic.

I reccommend this film to anyone!

I hope it is nominated for best original script.

Gil Kenan, I look forward to your next film.

Oh, and, try to see it in the Digital 3-D. You'll have the time of your life!

A+++

Monster House was the biggest opener at the Box Office this weekend, despite the tracking that Lady in the Water had. MH earned a very good 23 million, good for 2nd place (LitW only made 18 ), and had the 2nd best per-theater average.

Still not sure if you want to see this movie? Well then read this.

Oh and remember to see it in Digital 3-D!!

Fantastic! It was a great movie, with lots of thrills and chills, and I'm really glad I got to go see it. I have a question, though: why in the world wasn't this released on or near Halloween? The film took place on Halloween, and it was certainly scary enough. Anyway, great movie. I give it an A-, just because it wasn't quite as good as Pirates, to which I'd give an A.

Volunteer Fire Detective said:
I have a question, though: why in the world wasn't this released on or near Halloween?

Well, they want you to think that it's because it feels like a "Big Summer Movie", which it pretty much is (to me at least), but it's really just that by releasing it in the Summer, you're guaranteed a bigger Box Office take than in the fall, where Halloween is just one week and kids aren't always ready to rush out to the theater. They're at school, but in July, they have all the time to see all the movies they want. Then the DVD can be released around Halloween, or a little after, to capitalize on the Holidays and their big sales.

Basically, the one word answer: business. (Or money.)

I just saw this tonight. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good voice acting too, by lots of big names that you don't even realize until the credits.

Saw this Monday, and it was way better than Cars! Chowder had me cracking up, like when he pretends to yell at his dad on the phone then asks DJ where he keeps his beer.:lol:

Did anyone else get the impression that the kids seemed to have deep rooted family problems? And that maybe the house, offers them a way to deal with it? Sybolically speaking.

Last edited:
Iceshadow said:
Saw this Monday, and it was way better than Cars! Chowder had me cracking up, like when he pretends to yell at his dad on the phone then asks DJ where he keeps his beer.:lol:

Did anyone else get the impression that the kids seemed to have deep rooted family problems? And that maybe the house, offers them a way to deal with it? Sybolically speaking.

Yeah, I see that. I like that. But the director's main symbol was that of the whole puberty thing and going from boy to man, hating girls then liking girls. And while I like that I also like yours too.

Then again, I guess to have a good first act of a film, everybody's gotta have their flaws to give them some character. But since in this they had to do with... yeah, but what about Jenny? Did she mention her parents or do we know how she became an obnoxious girl scout? 'Cuz I remember she talked to one of her parents over the phone, I just can't remember what was said.

:D

ultimatedjf said:
Yeah, I see that. I like that. But the director's main symbol was that of the whole puberty thing and going from boy to man, hating girls then liking girls. And while I like that I also like yours too.

Then again, I guess to have a good first act of a film, everybody's gotta have their flaws to give them some character. But since in this they had to do with... yeah, but what about Jenny? Did she mention her parents or do we know how she became an obnoxious girl scout? 'Cuz I remember she talked to one of her parents over the phone, I just can't remember what was said.

:D

With Jenny, her problems were more implied. Like when she calls her mom she has to go through a secretary, why wouldn't her mom give her a number where she could be directly reached? Also, because of the way she dresses and where she goes to school, you can assume that her parents are rich; in media its a common theme for rich families to be disconnected from each other, and the childacting more mature than they really are (Jenny is the most mature acting of the three).

Yeah.....so I saw this earlier.

Graphically impressive......but a little meh on the story and stuff. Some smartly written jokes. But a lot of stuff just fell flat for me. Totally ok to take your kid to......but I wouldn't exactly recommend it to anyone over 15.

My advice is to just wait for DVD.

Yeah.....so I saw this earlier.

Graphically impressive......but a little meh on the story and stuff. Some smartly written jokes. But a lot of stuff just fell flat for me. Totally ok to take your kid to......but I wouldn't exactly recommend it to anyone over 15.

My advice is to just wait for DVD.

So I watched this again just to see if there was anything about this that would change my mind about the film. I have this thing where movies are better on DVD in the comfort of your own home. Hated "Gone in 60 Seconds" in the theaters.....but saw it again on DVD and it's like totally one of my favorite popcorn flicks.

But yeah....so I saw Monster House again.......

Yep.....still meh. Now even moreso since I already saw it.

Like I said before.....looks good compared to some of the other crap CGI films out there.....but looks is about all it has to it on the impressive side for anyone over 15.

I purchased the DVD yesterday. Tonight my siblings wanted to watch it; they were only allowed to see the first half because it would have gone too late past their bedtimes.

I watched with them. Usually when I see a movie - one that I LOVED when I first saw it - for a second time, I like it a little less than before.

I'm happy to report that it was the opposite with this. Monster House is still as great as ever.

Latest posts

Back