Movies of 2010

Re: Your Favorite Movies of 2010

Damn. I was hoping to make this and just call it The Movies of 2010. Let's be honest with ourselves, we're not just talking about our favorites.

Anyway. Gonna go see Daybreakers later. Will have thoughts when I get out.

Anyway. Gonna go see Daybreakers later. Will have thoughts when I get out.

I was planning on seeing that tonight but my local theater isn't showing it.

They are, however, still showing Nine, which bombed. In fact, they replaced the ENTIRE MARQUEE with a gigantic poster for it. They've never, ever done this before. It's retarded.

Daybreakers B+ a fun movie. It reminded me of Dark City with Vampires. Sam Niel was pretty entertaining, but William Defoe was too cheesey for me. Ethan Hawk was solid too. The opening was probably the best moment. Still, a good start to what's looking like a genre filled start of the year.

Saw it at the giant theater in another part of town, which I remembered I had coupons for from Christmas.

Daybreakers - Really creative, constant tension, stacked cast, damn good film. Really liked what they did with the concept. 8/10

Glad to hear you liked it. I thought it looked interesting as hell... Newsarama canned it though. I'll have to see for myself.

The Book of Eli - B+ Very solid, and I loved all the nods to the post-apocalyptic genre, but I felt like it could have been more. Gary Oldman was fantastic as a villian that easily could have been a hero in another movie. Still, I can't help but think of what might have been.

The Wolfman - 5/10
They had a brilliant cast and a lot of good ideas, I like how they expanded on the story of the original a little bit .... But it just wasn't executed well. I think they took some influence from other werewolf movies like Werewolf of London and An American Werewolf in London. The makeup effects were ok, but they still used too much CGI (they even used CGI for a bear that could have easily been replaced with an actual bear). Also, Gollum is in this freaking movie and I have no idea why. And even though the cast was brilliant, they just weren't that good in this. Hugo Weaving kicked ass though. I mean, it's pretty clear why the movie didn't get great reviews when you see this. And it's also pretty evident that it was a long bumpy road to get this thing into theaters (change of directors just before filming, throwing out Danny Elfman's score even though he's still credited). I don't think I'd want to watch this movie again.

Last edited:

Daybreakers - Really creative, constant tension, stacked cast, damn good film. Really liked what they did with the concept. 8/10

The Wolfman - This really could've been great, but a lot of the usual things went wrong. Insane amount of CGI, jump-heavy blockbuster scares without much atmosphere or showmanship to them, bizarre pacing, etc. I love a lot of Joe Johnston's stuff but I think he's just not a horror director. M. Night Shymalan could've done a great job with this. Every actor does very well though. Hopkins saves the whole film. 5.5/10

I just read that they cut 17 minutes from the final cut of the film for theaters because the studio wanted audiences to get to the first Wolfman transformation sooner. Joe Johnston's putting these back for the DVD, which I want to see.

Last edited:
I should've remembered this thread sooner...

Anyway, the first movie that I got to see in the theaters was Shutter Island. I was anticipating this for a long time -- Scorsese doing a horror/thriller movie sounded awesome. It WAS awesome. Every scene was a new turn and you weren't sure where all of these puzzle pieces would fit together... But they did shockingly well. I definitely will be getting this on DVD. 10/10.

The Wolfman: C-
I was pretty disappointed by this film. The plot was pretty predictable, the Wolfman looked pretty ridiculous and the story was only so-so. Things I did like: Emily Blunt, the CGI transformations, the atmosphere and "look" of the film, all of the stuff in the asylum. After seeing the movie maybe they were smart to focus more on CGI, because the Wolfman that was obviously traditional makeup looked kinda ridiculous.

• Alice in wonderland 4.9/5
  • Planet Hulk 3.7 /5

Last edited:

The Wolfman - This really could've been great, but a lot of the usual things went wrong. Insane amount of CGI, jump-heavy blockbuster scares without much atmosphere or showmanship to them, bizarre pacing, etc. I love a lot of Joe Johnston's stuff but I think he's just not a horror director. M. Night Shymalan could've done a great job with this. Every actor does very well though. Hopkins saves the whole film. 5.5/10

I just read that they cut 17 minutes from the final cut of the film for theaters because the studio wanted audiences to get to the first Wolfman transformation sooner. Joe Johnston's putting these back for the DVD, which I want to see.

Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland - I think as entertainment this is pretty much critic-proof. It has a lot of the same problems with missed showmanship that Burton's Charlie And The Chocolate Factory had, but at the end of the day it's a fun tribute to Carroll's world packed with colourful, captivating visuals, a great cast, and a good old-fashioned fantasy quest element woven through which it's fun to see the well-known characters participate in. Where else are you going to be able to see
a Jokerized Johnny Depp using a garment mannequin to swordfight a one-eyed Crispin Glover?
7/10.

How was Christopher Lee's Jabberwock?

I wanted to see Shutter Island the other night but my friend talked me into seeing The Crazies. It was unoriginal and stupid.

5. The Crazies
Meh. Why are all these small town survivors movies the same?

4. The Wolfman
Exactly what I expected to be. The atmosphere and mood were perfect and it was a just a really entertaining movie.

3. The Book of Eli
Surpising how good it was. I loved the entire tone of the movie. It really suprised me with the whole purpose of the film.

2. Shutter Island
I totally would of done the ending differently. At first I was going to be annoyed if they went that route but they totally made it work. The movie had terrific atmosphere.

1. Alice in Wonderland
I went into thinking mediocre at best. It was quite better then I expected and one of Burton's best. Depp as the Mad Hatter, while on paper sounds awesome, was actually the worse part of the movie. He had some moments but mostly meh. Alice on the otherhand was wonderful.

planet man said:
How was Cristopher Lee's Jabberwock

About two line long. Not really worth it in my opinion.

Daybreakers B+ a fun movie. It reminded me of Dark City with Vampires. Sam Niel was pretty entertaining, but William Defoe was too cheesey for me. Ethan Hawk was solid too. The opening was probably the best moment. Still, a good start to what's looking like a genre filled start of the year.

The Book of Eli - B+ Very solid, and I loved all the nods to the post-apocalyptic genre, but I felt like it could have been more. Gary Oldman was fantastic as a villian that easily could have been a hero in another movie. Still, I can't help but think of what might have been.

Legion D - pretty bad. Everything here was pretty cookie cutter, tho Taye Diggs had some pretty good lines. That doesn't make a movie worth it.

The Wolfman B not nearly as bas as I was expecting. There was obviously some stoyline issues, and I personaly take offense to getting one of the best prostetics guys who have ever lived and then still CGIing everything, but I still had fun.

Shutter Island - C I read the book Shutter Island a few years ago and I feel that it was a hinderance to enjoying the movie. Scorcese was making a specific type of movie here and that isn't the same... tone as the book. The book had this great feeling of everything being subtly off in it without resorting to obvious halucinations. In the book everything feels more organic and natural. I didn't think DiCaprio had the best handle on Teddy either. Now the supporting cast absolutly owns this movie. >ark Ruffalo was perfect, as was Ben Kingsly, Freddy Kruger and Stotlmyer from monk.

Cop Out - C this... this had so much potential. But then we had the opeing scene with some amazingly akward expositionary dialoge then a gag that completly fell apart. Tracy Morgan isn't funny. I think this is the last thing I intentionaly watch with him. And the score. It sounds like it was scored by someone who was learning the synthisizer and only had the score from Escape from New York to teach him. Dispite all my complaints I will say Sean William Scott was great in it.

The Crazies A This is how you do a Zombie Movie people. Yes, they're as much Zombies as the 28 franchise. We've got suspense, creepy ****, and a few good jumps. A decent plot that does exactly what it needs to, and a character that keeps you guessing as to his status. Anyone who wants to see a movie like this should really check it out.

Alice in Wonderland A- Quite entertaining except for one thing. Johnny Depp wandered around playing a mix of sweeny Todd and a rainbow. And that dance at the end... but everything else was good. I really enjoyed it.

I think that's everything I've seen so far. No movie this week as I'm going out of town to Indy, but I might get to see an advanced screening of Repo Men on Tuesday.

I just realized that I haven't gone to the movies yet this year.

But I'm for sure gonna go see Green Zone later this month!

EDIT: Oh, that's not true. I saw Sherlock Holmes in January

And the Princess and the Frog as well

and Avatar

I haven't been to the movies since January.

Last edited:
Alice in Wonderland A- Quite entertaining except for one thing. Johnny Depp wandered around playing a mix of sweeny Todd and a rainbow. And that dance at the end... but everything else was good. I really enjoyed it.

I LOVED that dance, bust that out at the club :p

Latest posts

Back