Movies of 2013

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
Blockbuster season is about to start and there isn't a thread for this year's movies yet. So here we go.

Oz the Great and Powerful -- B I went and saw this movie because my brother was having a bad day and I wanted to cheer him up so I took him to the movies. I didn't really think it would be spectacular, but I actually really really liked it. I thought it paid a lot of homage to the original Wizard of Oz and could honestly be a direct prequel to that movie. But, believe it or not, I actually want Sam Raimi to remake the Wizard of Oz now.

42 -- A- This movie was great. Chadwick Boseman was really good in it, Harrison Ford was awesome. I'm sure it was a Hollywood version of the story and probably doesn't do justice to what really happened, but but it was really just a solid and enjoyable movie.

Last edited:
Blockbuster season is about to start and there isn't a thread for this year's movies yet. So here we go.

Oz the Great and Powerful -- B I went and saw this movie because my brother was having a bad day and I wanted to cheer him up so I took him to the movies. I didn't really think it would be spectacular, but I actually really really liked it. I thought it paid a lot of homage to the original Wizard of Oz and could honestly be a direct prequel to that movie. But, believe it or not, I actually want Sam Raimi to remake the Wizard of Oz now.

Despite how enjoyable this seems, am I the only one who was disappointed this wasn't based on Broadway's WICKED?

I also was impressed with Oz. It was also one of the few movies where the 3D worked well. My only issue was Margaret Hamilton's Wicked Witch was so frightening and can never be matched. I give Mila Kunas an E for effort but she didn't come off scary at all.

Didn't we have a thread for Oz? I liked it over all, but Mila Kunis was ridiculous in it. As in bad. She sounded like she was trying too hard to be over the top.

Also, I didn't love how slimy Oz was. In the first movie he was more like a bumbling old guy but this one was just a jerk.

I give Oz a B.

I think the only other movie I've seen this year is Argo, which is an A. Great film.

Didn't we have a thread for Oz?
I couldn't find one.

I also was impressed with Oz. It was also one of the few movies where the 3D worked well. My only issue was Margaret Hamilton's Wicked Witch was so frightening and can never be matched. I give Mila Kunas an E for effort but she didn't come off scary at all.
I liked it over all, but Mila Kunis was ridiculous in it. As in bad. She sounded like she was trying too hard to be over the top.

Yeah,
I liked her at the beginning, but once she turns, she wasn't very good. But I thought the part when she was crying was really inventive.
I also didn't love the way they made her look or her laugh.

I think the only other movie I've seen this year is Argo, which is an A. Great film.

Yeah, I saw that in theatres last year. It was spectacular. Totally deserved best picture.

Last edited:
He was a slimy jerk at first but then he learned his lesson and grew to be a bumbling old guy

Did anyone see The Iceman movie yet? I read the book, got really excited about the flick (Even though they look like they're taking more liberties than they need to), but it seems to have only been released in New York. I can't find any release dates for the rest of the country. I'm sittin' in Philadelphia stirring.

Side Effects - ****
Iron Man 3 - ***

Star Trek Into Darkness next.

James Franco was better in Spring Breakers....

but the slimy to bumbling turn makes sense to me. It's presumably the beginning of a character arc.

Upstream Color - ****
Side Effects - ****
Star Trek Into Darkness - ***1/2
Iron Man 3 - ***

42 -- A- This movie was great. Chadwick Boseman was really good in it, Harrison Ford was awesome. I'm sure it was a Hollywood version of the story and probably doesn't do justice to what really happened, but but it was really just a solid and enjoyable movie.

Iron Man 3 -- B- It was sort of fun over all, but I was disappointed for reasons detailed in the Iron Man 3 thread. I still think it was the worst of the Avengers franchise films.

Last edited:
I saw the Iceman and Mud yesterday.

The Iceman was good enough. They left a lot of the good stuff out but still Michael Shannon, Winona Ryder, and the rest of the cast was pretty great. Read the book, watch the interviews though.

Mud was as good as everyone said it was. Great acting by everyone. Didn't know Shannon was in this too. The story reminded me of a song that Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen would write or sing about. Loved Tye Sheridan pretty much taking a swing at anything bigger than himself. Multiple lessons on love in this. I'll probably watch it again when Oscar season comes around.

Iron Man 3 -- B- It was sort of fun over all, but I was disappointed for reasons detailed in the Iron Man 3 thread. I still think it was the worst of the Avengers franchise films.

Star Trek Into Darkness -- A Best movie I've seen so far this year. Very solidly entertaining.

Last edited:
Gangster Squad - 5/10
Oz: The Great and Powerful - 7/10
Iron Man 3 - 6/10
The Great Gatsby - 8.5/10
Star Trek Into Darkness - 9/10

Star Trek Into Darkness -- A Best movie I've seen so far this year. Very solidly entertaining.

Fast & Furious 6 -- B+ This franchise has become a lot of fun. I didn't particularly love the original, and two was worse, and three was terrible. But 4-6 have been cool, popcorn action films. No substance, but lots of action and fast cars.

Last edited:
Gangster Squad - 5/10
Oz: The Great and Powerful - 7/10
Iron Man 3 - 6/10
The Great Gatsby - 8.5/10
Star Trek Into Darkness - 8.5/10
Hangover III - 5.5/10
Fast & Furious 6 - 7.5/10

Latest posts

Back