My theory (Ultimates 2 #7 spoilers)

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Hey all, well we've all read Ultimates 2 #7, and we're all pretty sure Hawkeye has bought it. I was at first, until I really started thinking about it.

Issue #7 opens with Quicksilver rapidly transporting Cap out of the base they're attacking, just in time before he's shot (apparently Quicksilver is faster than a speeding bullet, to steal a line from DC). I think there's more to this than originally thought. Perhaps its an allusion to later on in the issue (keep reading to see what I mean).

Towards the end of the issue, Hawkeye's wife mentions how Scarlet Witch left her purse behind. Then the killers get in and kill Hawkeye's family. We see the gun pointed at him and fired, but we don't see him dead.

I'm thinking Quicksilver returned to Hawkeye's place to pick up the purse since Scarlet was a little too tipsy to do it herself (remember Hawkeye's wife mentioned she was pretty loaded, plus Quicksilver is sort of Scarlet Witch's *****). He arrives, sees whats happening, and manages to get Hawkeye out of the way just in time.

And now, Hawkeye knows who killed his family and tells Fury, prompting him to move against the traitor as is mentioned in the solit for #8. Obviously, Hawkeye's gonna be one pissed off mofo if this is the case, and I'm willing to bet he makes good on his promise of killing the traitor.

What do you think of the likelihood of this happening?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about this but I can totally imagine the way this would look (the issue opens with the traitor firing his gun and the bullets hitting nothing. The traitor looks around and realizes Hawkeye's gone. The next panel is Quicksilver running with Hawkeye in his arms.).

moonmaster said:
I'm not sure about this but I can totally imagine the way this would look (the issue opens with the traitor firing his gun and the bullets hitting nothing. The traitor looks around and realizes Hawkeye's gone. The next panel is Quicksilver running with Hawkeye in his arms.).

Exactly what I was thinking. Then we cut to the Triskelion, where Hawkeye is recieving medical treatment for his wounds, and Fury is talking to Cap about the incident and traitor. The action takes off from there.

Well, depends, are we going by comic book logic or logic logic? 'Cause, 4 or 5 rounds from an assault rifle to the chest -- Hawkeye's dead, even if he doesn't get shot in the head. Okay, let us dispense with logic logic and get to comic book logic.

My basis for saying he isn't dead is that the comic leaves no way that he COULDN'T be dead. But this is a Millar comic, and that was such a coy little fade-away: he's not dead. Plus, given that it was the Scarlet Witch who "killed" Hawkeye over in the Marvel 616, it's sorta rich if she's the one who saves him in The Ultimates.

The problem with this is that Hawkeye KNOWS who the traitor is - or at least knows who his would-be killer is. So there's no dramatic set-up for next issue. If Hawkeye survives, he tells Nick Fury (well, lol, assuming it ISN'T Nick). I guess the traitor and the entire organization the traitor works for (splinter SHIELD group? Terrorist group? Shadowy government group?) could go to ground and hide. The other problem is that Millar went to such trouble at the beginning of the last scene to make Hawkeye look like a nice guy. That leans toward the whole "dead" thing.

I give it 70:30 he's still alive and miraculously healed (or at least moving around) by next issue.

Well, I say he IS alive, cuz how else would Fury find out if he's not the traitor? He's gonna need to find out somehow. How else? By Hawkeye telling him.

Ehm, wouldn't quicksilver just take out the traitor? He could rip out his/hers eyes in 0,3 !

Rhyo said:
Well, depends, are we going by comic book logic or logic logic? 'Cause, 4 or 5 rounds from an assault rifle to the chest -- Hawkeye's dead, even if he doesn't get shot in the head. Okay, let us dispense with logic logic and get to comic book logic.

Using "logic logic" when talking about comic books involving super heroes is kind of silly and pointless. As to the wounds Hawkeye recieved, if Quicksilver is transporting him, he could have him at a medical facility within seconds, more than enough time for him to survive his wounds. After all, he was still able to throw knives and kill the assassins after recieving those wounds. Plus, I figure Hawkeye is a heck of a lot lighter than Cap, so Quicksilver wouldn't have any problem transporting him long distance.

My basis for saying he isn't dead is that the comic leaves no way that he COULDN'T be dead.

Unless of course Quicksilver swooped in and got him out of the way of the fatal head shots.

The problem with this is that Hawkeye KNOWS who the traitor is - or at least knows who his would-be killer is. So there's no dramatic set-up for next issue.

Its already been established that the Ultimates will make their move against the traitor in #8, how can they make a move without knowing, or at least having an idea, who it is?

I give it 70:30 he's still alive and miraculously healed (or at least moving around) by next issue.

I doubt he'll be miraculously healed, but I'm sure by arc's end he'll be well enough to get in on the action (or in his case revenge). After all, SHIELD has some crazy technology, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for them to have advanced medical treatments to greatly accelerate the healing process (see USM #28-32 for more info, in this arc, Wasp shows up and gives Peter a vaccine or some crap which heals his gunshot wound mad quick).

We'll see for sure in September.

(and not saying I'm right about this, but I was right about Harry being Hobgoblin and how he gained his powers, so don't be so quick to shoot this one down)

Last edited:
SeAcoW said:
Ehm, wouldn't quicksilver just take out the traitor? He could rip out his/hers eyes in 0,3 !

If thats the case why didn't he do that to the soldiers about to shoot Cap at the beginning of the issue? And perhaps Quicksilver realizes Hawkeye's injuries are grave enough to warrant him getting him medical treatment over killing the traitor then and there.

icemastertron said:
Well, I say he IS alive, cuz how else would Fury find out if he's not the traitor? He's gonna need to find out somehow. How else? By Hawkeye telling him.

Exactly.

And otherwise, the opening part with Cap and Quicksilver is kinda pointless (just the first page or two I mean, the scene with the possible Loki appearance is obviously important). My point is, rather than Millar just writing this to showcase Quicksilver actually doing something (besides his involvement in bringing down Thor) is a direct clue to how Hawkeye could survive. And what was the point of including Scarlet Witch leaving her purse behind otherwise? Just to throw us off for a panel or two when someone knocks on the front door? I think it goes a little further than that.

Ohhhh scary, this is my 666th post!

Last edited:
You SOB! I haven'ty read the issue yet! I thought this was some House Of M thing. Arragh. I'm so pissed right now you don't even know. :furious: :furious: :arrgh:

thee great one said:
You SOB! I haven'ty read the issue yet! I thought this was some House Of M thing. Arragh. I'm so pissed right now you don't even know. :furious: :furious: :arrgh:
Blame yourself for not looking at the forum it was in. It helps paying attention. :wink:

I look at the new posts list and the forums don't pop out at you. When your going though 3 pages of new posts you don't look at all the threads thier in. All I ask is mark your spoilers in the thread title. So please change that Ice when you notice it. This happen with the Shaw thing in the Hobgoblin arc because of a poll MWoF did that I looked at not even knowing he was in the Hobgoblin arc yet. The same with what happen to Thor in Ultimates #5. Just be more careful guys. It's not my fault I can only get my comics once a month.

This sounds like a stretch, but I can imagine Hawkeye living after getting shot. Think about it, if 50 Cent can, why can't our boy Hawk do it, too? Really, though, just because a gun has been fired, doesn't mean someone's dead. Take Ultimate Northstar for example. He's still kicking. So is Hawkeye.

Goodwill said:
This sounds like a stretch, but I can imagine Hawkeye living after getting shot. Think about it, if 50 Cent can, why can't our boy Hawk do it, too? Really, though, just because a gun has been fired, doesn't mean someone's dead. Take Ultimate Northstar for example. He's still kicking. So is Hawkeye.
Well, Northstar is a different story because he moved as fast as he could to not get shot, but he did, but it didnt hit any internal organs that would've killed him. Hawkeye didnt move, cuz he didnt have the ability to at that moment.

Not saying that Hawkeye's dead, though.

Well, Scarlet Witch's probability powers could probably come into play then... What if she's at the back door or something?

not to mention, he's in the Ultimates Annual. That's what I keep telling myself to give myself hope.

marvelman said:
not to mention, he's in the Ultimates Annual. That's what I keep telling myself to give myself hope.
That doesnt mean much, because that can take place between issue 6 and 7.....

I like this theory. I like the Scarlet Witch magic act one too. Either way, we saw shots fired - we didn't see them hit their target.

As for Hawkeye surviving...Millar is a better writer than that. If Hawkeye truly was shot in the head with three shots (or chest or whatever) - he's dead. But the ending was left extremely ambiguous...it doesn't look like they hit Hawkeye.

Here's my theory, quiksilver grabs hawkeye who has been shot twice. While grabbing hawkeye quiksilver is shot, but manages to get hawkeye a mile or so a way before collapsing himself. The two of them get evacuated a few minutes later. Hawkeye spends the the rest of the issue in intensive care unconscious and unable to give any evidence except for a whisper that Fury hears. Quiksilver is stable, but is out of commission and didn't see who the traitor is. Fury then spends the issue deducing who the traitor is finally culminating with a confrontation between the traitor and Fury. The traitor then disables Fury and is about to kill Fury when wolverine stabs the traitor through the chest...

Latest posts

Back