Need DC recommendations

Dr.Strangefate said:
She has Watchmen.

Compared to that, the Socio-Political statements in Y:The Last Man, and the romanticized "beastiality" (i quote it because Bigby is essentially a demi-god, and if they let kids read their Greek Myths, this is hardly new material) in Fables are nothing.

And they are both fantastic stories that I have recommended to kids ages 12-15 all the time at Borders, and I've never had a customer come back and complain that I gave their child smut.

Preacher is not a kid friendly series by any means.

I would also recommend Hard Time: 50 to Life for young teens. It approaches the idea of consequence and superpowers in a unique way...

And for the Teens+ Crowd, I would highly recommend Strangers in Paradise, especially now that it comes in handy-dandy $10 Pocket books.
Well, for Fables I wasn't really refering to the Bigby relations as I was all of Goldilocks indescresions. And I'd give these books to friends of mine that age, or to friends children. I'm just warning Seldes that putting a few of them in the young adult section could draw some heat and why.

That's quite a range of recommendations. Thanks, everyone. You guys are awesome! :D

I'm going to see what titles are already available in the system and pick them up at my LCS so I can have them on the shelf right away, and then start ordering the rest through my library system.

I also appreciate the warnings on some of the titles. The fact that something is violent or questionable doesn't mean I won't order it, it just means that I need to look for reviews on it and see if the story justifies the purchase despite the controversial elements. (I guess I probably should go actually read Watchmen, right?) If I do order it, I'll tag it so I can read it first when it comes in. Right now, for example, I have WE3 on order. Every review I've seen on it mentions the violence, but also recommends the story for its themes or other good points. So I'm getting it, but I'm also going to read it to see how likely it is that someone will complain.

Nurhachi said:
DC? Why would you do that to the poor kids?
I do a lot of mean things to YA's. :wink: For example, many works of classic literature like Treasure Island and Last of the Mohicans are shelved in the Children's Room. I've been moving some of them out to the YA section. I think they ended up in the Children's Room because there's nothing terribly objectionable in them according to today's standards, but I can't imagine the average eight-year-old is going to read them. Teens might.

By the way, if anyone finds any good DC titles in the future, please feel free to post them here. The recommendations everyone gave me are a great starting point, but keeping up with what's being published is important, too.

I wish you worked at the library I go to. I've probably read every graphic novel AND young adult section book at least three times over. :D

I thought the Batman: Hush TPBs were excellent. If anything, Jim Lee's art is worth the price many times over...

Latest posts

Back