Need some help

-beardoms-

Iv'e never had much interest in the 616 Universe, as i have always been an Ultimate fan at heart. However i want to start to branch out. Ive started to purchase Avengers and Secret Avengers, but would like to start getting some over titles. I might start with Amazing Spider-Man but would also like to get some of the X-Men series. My main problem is that there are tooooo many. Where do i go? What's the difference between them? etc etc

Iv'e never had much interest in the 616 Universe, as i have always been an Ultimate fan at heart. However i want to start to branch out. Ive started to purchase Avengers and Secret Avengers, but would like to start getting some over titles. I might start with Amazing Spider-Man but would also like to get some of the X-Men series. My main problem is that there are tooooo many. Where do i go? What's the difference between them? etc etc

You may want to wait until the event ends in a couple weeks, because right now the books are all tangled up together, and the details of where the books are going to be after are kind of foggy.

Last edited:
If you really want to branch out only into the original Marvel universe, I recommend FANTASTIC FOUR which Hickman took over with #570 (if I remember right). The first trade is out, and it shouldn't be hard to pick up the rest. It's terrific.

Garth Ennis' PUNISHER MAX (if you're okay with swearing and lots of violence) is just outstanding, and it's currently been re-numbered with a new #1 (it's up to #8 now). It's written by Jason Aaron and while it's really quite good, it's just not as good as Ennis'.

I enjoyed what I've read of Brubaker's DAREDEVIL (the first three trades, I think). AMAZING SPIDER-MAN is somewhat fun, though it's a bit hit and miss.

EARTH X is a great read (and the first part of a trilogy, followed up by UNIVERSE X and PARADISE X) and while it's not set in the regular Marvel universe it probably should be canon as it's just the best Marvel crossover ever.

Grant Morrison's run on NEW X-MEN and Joss Whedon's 'sequel' to it in ASTONISHING X-MEN are really worth getting and are completely collected.

NEXTWAVE is wonderful and only 12 issues.

RUNAWAYS was a lot of fun too, as was SPIDER-MAN LOVES MARY JANE (which was a cute girly comic).

Marvel also puts out CRIMINAL which is terrific, but it's not a superhero title. Which is where I now say, "If you want to branch out, don't buy superhero comics. There's lots of great comics in many genres that work great; HELLBOY, THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY, FABLES, THE GREEN MANOR, TINTIN, ASTERIX, THE BELLYBUTTONS, GARTH ENNIS' WAR STORIES, PARKER: THE HUNTER, 100 BULLETS, SCOTT PILGRIM, Self Made Hero's SHERLOCK HOLMES adaptations, BONE, and anything from the ABC line; TOM STRONG, TOP TEN, PROMETHEA, and THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN."

If you give me a list of your favourite movies, I could probably find something fun for you.

Last edited:
Actually Hickman's run started with the Fantastic Four: Dark Reign mini, which basically sets up the Solve Everything arc.

Latest posts

Back