never worked for Marvel?

compound

This was inspired by the speculation in the recent "DC to Marvel" thread...

Which DC writers and artists have never done major ongoing work for Marvel?

Among them, which ones would you most want to jump ship to the "House of Ideas"? And what would you like them to do?

Personally, I'm rooting for:

* Gail Simone on Daredevil, Elektra, White Tiger

* Bill Willingham on Namor, Black Panther, Inhumans, UXM, Wolverine(!)

* Brian Azzarello on Daredevil, Iron Fist, Punisher

* Brian Wood on Runaways, Dr. Strange

With regards to artists:

* Becky Cloonan on Runaways, Young Avengers (if it ever returns)

* Dustin Nguyen on UXM, Iron Man

* Cameron Stewart on Fantastic Four

* Riccardo Burchielli on Daredevil

I liked Azzarello's CAGE MAX he would be good on Punisher MAX, but I'd rather see him do something similar with another character - maybe black widow or kingpin or someone...give them a good out of continuity series. THat could maybe feature characters from Punisher MAX, like kingpin vs. barracuda - before he appears in punisher.

sorry i sound like a big fanboy there - I wanna see superman vs. the hulk etc.

Johns hasn't done much Marvel. I think he'd be good on Exiles.

Last edited:
I liked Azzarello's CAGE MAX
Ooh! I never read that. I almost forgot about it (though I recall it got some fairly negative reviews, as it was first being released).

What makes it worth reading?

I honestly thought Azzarello had/has an exclusive DC contract.

Now that you mentioned it, was he the one who also did that Dr. Doom origin miniseries, a few years back?

Oh yeah... One more to the list:

* Jill Thompson on Dr. Strange

Last edited:
I think CAGE MAX is in the same vein as punisher MAX. It's more....street / gang war stuff...but it's like any good punisher arc where you've got like 4 different sides warring and our protagonist caught in the middle. It's got bluffs and manipulation - i think most of the bad reviews were written cuz cage is a bit stereotypical big black man Mr T - with the gold bling bling and all.

Now that you mentioned it, was he the one who also did that Dr. Doom origin miniseries, a few years back?

That be Brubaker.

I would love Nguyen on Iron Man. It would look fantastic.

I could see him on Punisher, but not the other two. His Batman was pretty bad and I don't want to see anything like that happen to Daredevil. As for him on iron Fist I just don't see it as a good fit.

I could see him on Punisher, but not the other two. His Batman was pretty bad and I don't want to see anything like that happen to Daredevil. As for him on iron Fist I just don't see it as a good fit.

I think Bass described his batman well (can't find the exact post)...basically bass said he doesn't work well with superheroes, and in the batman arc, he writes the cape as a trenchcoat and so it would almost read better if it wasn't a batman story. He writes Hellblazer well tho - that's in some ways DCs precursor to Punisher MAX.

But I think ennis has made punisher very much his, I'd rather Azz did something new

I think Bass described his batman well (can't find the exact post)...basically bass said he doesn't work well with superheroes, and in the batman arc, he writes the cape as a trenchcoat and so it would almost read better if it wasn't a batman story. He writes Hellblazer well tho - that's in some ways DCs precursor to Punisher MAX.

But I think ennis has made punisher very much his, I'd rather Azz did something new

His Hellblazer was quite good, but then John Constantine isn't a Superhero. Batman is. And it wasn't even him writing too much of a Noir Batman. He completely rejiggered existing characters into what amounted to new ones to fit into his story. Killer Croc was not Killer Croc. He was Lono with a skin condition and less balls. It just wasn't good Batman.

His Hellblazer was quite good, but then John Constantine isn't a Superhero. Batman is. And it wasn't even him writing too much of a Noir Batman. He completely rejiggered existing characters into what amounted to new ones to fit into his story. Killer Croc was not Killer Croc. He was Lono with a skin condition and less balls. It just wasn't good Batman.

Same problem with his Superman.

Killer Croc was not Killer Croc. He was Lono with a skin condition and less balls. It just wasn't good Batman.

I like the ...he would've had a croc themed name whatever profession he was in...if he was a bowler they'd have called him the Alley gator....yeah and I didn't really get what he was trying to do with the ventriloquist...or the penguin...it's like they were all non-powered...but really really wierd.

Personally, I'm rooting for:

* Gail Simone on Daredevil, Elektra, White Tiger
Flub.

compound said:
* Bill Willingham on Namor, Black Panther, Inhumans, UXM, Wolverine(!)
Sub.

compound said:
Flub. If only because it doesn't seem very interesting.

compound said:
* Brian Wood on Runaways, Dr. Strange
Flub to both. At least until the Runaways become college-age kids.

* Becky Cloonan on Runaways, Young Avengers (if it ever returns)
Flub.

compound said:
* Cameron Stewart on Fantastic Four
Sub. Also, I'd like to see him do a Punisher story or two.

compound said:
* Riccardo Burchielli on Daredevil
Flub. And i say that as someone who absolutely loves his work on DMZ. I'd rather see R.M. Guera of Scalped take on Daredevil.

Latest posts

Back