New arc?

Heard great things. May well give that a go. Worthwhile?

Last edited:
Heard great things. May well give that a go. Worthwhile?

It's the definition of epic. If you like a darker and grittier (and sometimes downright lunatic) Batman, Miller's version is the way to go.

Chronologically, the Miller Batman goes (it's technically a separate universe from the main DC titles):

Batman - Year One (Batman #404-407)
All-Star Batman & Robin, the Boy Wonder (#1-10)
Spawn/Batman #1
The Dark Knight Returns (#1-4)
The Dark Knight Strikes Again (#1-3)
The Dark Knight III - The Master Race (#1-8)

All are available in TPB. Be sure to check out the Absolute All-Star Batman & Robin, the Boy Wonder Hardcover so you can read all ten issues (the first AS Batman & Robin HC/TPB collection only collected issues #1-9 due to the delay with #10).

Spawn/Batman isn't an essential read and it's never been collected in trade, though it's easy to find online or even at a local comic shop's back issue bins, and for pretty cheap. Like I said, not essential to that Batman mythology, but it is a part of the Miller Batman canon, along with everything else listed above.

Why the **** would you EVER recommend All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder and The Dark Knight Strikes Again? That's like someone asking for good Avengers stories and you giving them Ultimatum and Heroes Reborn.

Last edited:
Why the **** would you EVER recommend All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder and The Dark Knight Strikes Again? That's like someone asking for good Avengers stories and you giving them Ultimatum and Heroes Reborn.

They do suck, but for completion's sake they should be read.

Maybe in your opinion. While I don't think either ASB&R or TDKSA hold up in terms of overall quality next to TDKR or even Year One, I was merely offering the complete chronological list of the Miller Batman timeline in relation to his direct question about TDKR.

They do suck, but for completion's sake they should be read.

I wouldn't say they suck, but they're certainly disappointing.

But as you said, in terms of the completion approach, especially in regards should he (or others) choose to check out TDK3 - The Master Race series, it's probably better to read ASB&R and TDKSA.

Yeah, he also wrote Batman/The Spirit, your point? You shouldn't recommend bad comics, it's mean.

Yeah, he also wrote Batman/The Spirit, your point? You shouldn't recommend bad comics, it's mean.

I'm not recommending bad comics. I'm recommending comics that, while they don't hold up as well as The Dark Knight Returns, are still fun reads. I know a lot of people who actually like ASB&R, and who think TDKSA is underrated, myself among them.

Not as good as TDKR, but fun stories in their own right, and still a necessary part of the Miller Batman mythos/continuity.

Stop trying to make it something it isn't, wyo.

but I thought you liked Ultimatum. Or was it just Ultimates 3?

I do. Love them, still bad comics that I wouldn't recommend to people.

Well, that's progress...

Last edited:
1. All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder IS a bad comic. It's prefectly fun and enjoyable.
2. I've always admitted that The Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum were bad. Just like ASBARTBW they're enjoyable. Bad =/= unenjoyable.

I do. Love them, still bad comics that I wouldn't recommend to people.

1. All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder IS a bad comic. It's prefectly fun and enjoyable.
2. I've always admitted that The Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum were bad. Just like ASBARTBW they're enjoyable. Bad =/= unenjoyable.

I don't remember you ever admitting that. I'm not saying you didn't, just that I don't remember it. That changes the conversation a lot.

What makes them bad in your opinion? What makes them enjoyable?

Can something be good and not enjoyable? (I think so)

Thoughts on heart of hush? I'm really enjoying it. Just read final crisis and thought that was a waste of time. Really complicated and uninteresting storyline.

Final Crisis ties into Grant Morrison's DC work. You kind of need to read everything else.

Last edited:
Aaah right ok. It seemed ok but it just seemed a bit all over the shop. Artwork was fantastic

Latest posts

Back