New Canadian comic prices.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Marvel Comics has announced the following adjustments to the Canadian cover prices of its titles, effective with books scheduled to ship on August 2:

U.S. / ADJUSTED CANADIAN COVER PRICE:

$2.99 / $3.75
$3.50 / $4.25
$3.99 / $4.75
$4.99 / $6.00
What I dont get is why it was changed. I mean, isn't supposed to be whatever $2.99, etc., is over there? So how come it was changed to this? Was it wrong before? And if so, why was it wrong for so long?

Answers, please.

The American-Canadian exchange rate changed, and effectively Marvel was charging canadians too much money, as their dollar is getting stronger.

Canadians have been getting the short stick on the USD-->CAD exchange rate for a long time now. This really does make me very happy to see as I can now afford a few more titles now...

Essentially, the original prices are figured at 60 cents to your 1USD. It's more like 85 cents to your 1USD now. We've been paying at the inflated rate for a long time and that puts money right into Marvel's pocket. The reason that the Canadian prices are dropping has got to be related to Canadian sales... Bet they saw a large dip when they increased the prices and didn't account for the current CAD exchange rate. A big enough dip for them to reconsider it.

to put this into perspective, here's my order for August:

9 titles @ 2.99/4.25
4 titles @ 3.99/5.75
2 titles @ 3.50/5.00
Totals: 49.87 / 71.25 estimated to 70-75 cents on the dollar

9 titles @ 2.99/3.75
4 titles @ 3.99/4.75
2 titles @ 3.50/4.25
Totals: 49.87 / 61.25 estimated to 80-85 cents on the dollar.

Exchange right now is about 80-85 cents on the dollar, fluctuating and we may be on par with the US within 5 years...

Last edited:
Living Large said:
Exchange right now is about 80-85 cents on the dollar, fluctuating and we may be on par with the US within 5 years...

I heard it's currently above 90 cents on the US dollar.

I have half a mind to cross the border and buy $1000 US dollars. In case the rate plummets again.

Last edited:
Living Large said:
Canadians have been getting the short stick on the USD-->CAD exchange rate for a long time now.

They deserve it.

No offense.

:p

(I also think people from Ohio should have to pay more)

Damn cheap *** northern hermisphere bastards. Be strong, in the face of your $2-3 comics.

Caduceus said:
Damn cheap *** northern hermisphere bastards. Be strong, in the face of your $2-3 comics.

I'd say.

It's close to 90 cents on the dollar. Expect Canada to be on par with the US within 5 years. This is all to the good. We are still paying more than our US counterparts but it's definitely much more of a fair price.

Why is it that i'm sensing some unfriendly eyes pointing at Canada? Or is that said tongue-in-cheek?

It was 3.25 when your price was 2.50. When the 2.50 price went up to 2.99, we jumped to 4.25 which is off-base with the exchange rate. So now we have been brought back in line with the current exchange rate conversion.

Living Large said:
Why is it that i'm sensing some unfriendly eyes pointing at Canada? Or is that said tongue-in-cheek?

It's tongue-in-cheek. No offense intended.

It's tongue-in-cheek. No offense intended.

Figured. That's how I decided to take it. So hard to tell online sometimes... but getting all heated about such things online is also pointless and usually misguided.

This is more about the US economy than the Canadian one, I think.

The US debt grows and grows. And since the debt is owned mostly by foreign interests (obviously, since the UC can't borrow from itself and the national bankings system can't absorb a few trillions worth of debt*), that means the amount of USD available on the monetary market keep growing.

Too much offer drives the prices down. I haven't bothered to check in a while but I'm guessing if you look closely at the numbers you'll find that that US$ is losing value against most major currencies, including CAD$, whereas the CAN$ isn't probably gaining that much ground against other currencies than the US$, like euro for example.

Anyway, great news. I've been bugging my comic book shop about that for a while. The previous gap was especially galling since the purchasing power of the canadian dollar within Canada has always been on par with the US$ for years. It's just the exchange rate that was skewed. Which incidently the exporting firms in Canada loved. They have been experiencing trouble of late which shows that a strong canadian dollar isn't to everyone advantage. But me I'm happy.

*For the record, the big bad chinese government is the main holder of US treasury bill. Were they to miss a new emission in these days of deficit and the american economy would take a dive. Just in case you were wondering why Bush isn't nearly as tough with China as he is with Iran. It ain't just the nuclear weapons.

Last edited:
if your worried about the canadian dollar cataching up to the US, then watch out for the creeper.....BRIZAL!!!!!

nigma said:
if your worried about the canadian dollar cataching up to the US, then watch out for the creeper.....BRIZAL!!!!!

Hum, do you mean Brazil?

'Cause I never heard of the dreaded Brizal Creeper. Perhaps a cousin of the Yeti and Bigfoot.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
Hum, do you mean Brazil?

'Cause I never heard of the dreaded Brizal Creeper. Perhaps a cousin of the Yeti and Bigfoot.

so sue me, spell check is my homiee...(he just went out to lunch is all)

Living Large said:
Proj and I (and, I suppose, Shihad and Nur) have collective southern hemisphere bitterness. I don't think I've ever bought a comic for less than $6.

Caduceus said:
Proj and I (and, I suppose, Shihad and Nur) have collective southern hemisphere bitterness. I don't think I've ever bought a comic for less than $6.

Same here.

ProjectX2 said:
Same here.

And then they wonder why people download comics.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying when you make it prohibitively expensive, yeah, people are going to steal them if they can.

And that goes for domestic (US) prices as well. $2.99 for a comic is just this side of ridiculous. They keep raising prices and then are shocked that people are downloading. Here comes the clue train!

I download single issues, and then buy around two-three trades a month. The average trade is around $30, which is why it's quite annoying.

I can understand the US-NZ exchange rate, but then when the shop adds on a hefty fee for themselves, it gets a little bit overwhelming.

Latest posts

Back