New He-Man movie.

I think that the Rock has been miscast. He should be this generation's Schwarzenegger (and people are trying to make him be) but people forget that Arnie's success was because he played parts that played to his strength. Stoic, calculating, hard, and bombastic.

The Rock is an action star, but of a different kind. He should be Schwarzenegger in terms of iconic success in action films, not neccessarily playing parts Schwarzenegger would play today if he could.
What Arnie did was he played to that unrelenting lack of showmanship. Additionally, he knew how to act WITH and around his accent. Something Jean Claude Van Damme never learned.

That said, you're right. The Rock is not Arnie. The Rock is the unrelenting showman that Arnie could never be. Arnie never knew how to play his expressions to the camera. The Rock does, and he does it without coming across as completely smug.

This is why I am also for The Rock playing Johnny Bravo.

He-Man as a New Gods rip off? Intriguing. I've not heard this before, please elaborate. :D

I'll let Wikipedia do the talking:

Some section of MOTU fandom expresses suspicions as to why, with such a plethora of characters available from the Masters of the Universe toy line, new characters such as Blade were added. The obvious answer is that new characters were created that could be licensed as new toys, which they were. However, a small number of fans controversially believe that the Masters movie is actually derivative of "Jack Kirby's Fourth World", featuring characters now found in the DC Comics Universe: Orion (He-Man), Kalibak (Beast Man), Kanto (Blade), and Darkseid (Skeletor). Cross-dimensional travel from Eternia to Earth is via a concept identical to the classic Boom Tube. There are many additional parallels to be drawn from the Fourth World source material to the characters in the film than from the He-Man material.

This viewpoint is chiefly in response to comments made in issue #497 of Comic Shop News by comic book writer/artist John Byrne who said, "The best New Gods movie, IMHO, is ´Masters of the Universe´. I even corresponded with the director, who told me this was his intent, and that he had tried to get [Jack] Kirby to do the production designs, but the studio nixed it."

"Check it out. It requires some bending and an occasional sex change (Metron becomes an ugly dwarf, The Highfather becomes the Sorceress), but it's an amazingly close analog, otherwise. And Frank Langella's Skeletor is a dandy Darkseid!"

Even though director Gary Goddard provided a commentary track for the film's DVD release that makes no such claim regarding any intent to produce a covert New Gods adaptation, he did send a letter to Byrne in 1994, which was printed in an issue of Next Men (issue #26 specifically). In the letter Goddard indicated that Byrne wasn't far off in his comparison between New Gods and Masters of the Universe movie, and that it was (in Goddard's words) "greatly inspired by the classic Fantastic Four/Doctor Doom epics, The New Gods and a bit of Thor thrown in here and there."

Its less a direct rip-off, but seriously... A Fourth World movie would rock so hard.

Okay. What I have learned:

He-Man is a homosexual nazi rip-off of New Gods.

I hate you guys.

That said, I don't own any of the He-Man stuff, and I've been really thinking about getting them on DVD, and now that the movie is New Gods: The Movie, I really want to see it again. :D

From CBR:

HE-MAN

There's some wild rumormongering going on over at IESB. Their Robert Sanchez wrote, "I was told the current idea is to make Eternia here on Earth, kind of like a modern day Middle Earth. I don't like this man and I am sure that fans of the franchise are not going to care for this either. As a matter of fact, I have been told that you are keeping a very similar template when comparing 'He-Man' to your 'Voltron' script ... I am telling you, this is destined for failure."

Last edited:
From CBR:

HE-MAN

There's some wild rumormongering going on over at IESB. Their Robert Sanchez wrote, "I was told the current idea is to make Eternia here on Earth, kind of like a modern day Middle Earth. I don't like this man and I am sure that fans of the franchise are not going to care for this either. As a matter of fact, I have been told that you are keeping a very similar template when comparing 'He-Man' to your 'Voltron' script ... I am telling you, this is destined for failure."

Huh? Not much hope for this one.

From Comics2Film:

Comics2Film's Rob Worley said:
Video: 'He-Man' promo reel from proposed live-action feature
Here's a cool bit of video, unearthed by Rich Johnston this week: an animatic trailer to promote one of the live-action 'He-Man' movie projects. The artwork featured is largely that of Kaare Andrews. Word is that this animatic is not part of the current development team's efforts, but rather from a past and now-defunct effort
Click the link above to see the video.

That IS pretty cool!

I liked how they had Skeletor say "I have the power" instead of He-Man.

Mainly because the original cartoon's delivery still gives me goosebumps.

By the Power of Grayskull! We've Got a Director
Source:Variety
January 29, 2009

Variety has confirmed Latino Review's scoop that Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver have set Kung Fu Panda co-director John Stevenson to make his live action directing debut on Masters of the Universe, a re-imagining of the signature Mattel toy line.

more http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=8026

Latest posts

Back