"New Mutants" arc

I think what UltimateE is trying to say is that yes theres an amount you can tell an arc in, but the amount can vary. Like remember how the ROTK arc was 7 issues long? And the Silver Surfer "Revelation" arc was 8 issues long.

Did I hit the jackpot or just missed the point?

All I'm saying is that arcs don't have to be fully contained stories. They HAVE to be open ended to a degree so the book can continue. It doesn't make sense to complain about there being too many people on the team to tell ONE story featuring Wolverine and a new mutant. It's not like you have to hurry up and give them their face time.

I don't mind team books focusing on a single character for a storyline, nor do I have a problem with that character being Wolverine. The problem with this during a 6-part arc, however, is that it takes half a year to tell this story. The fact that it was only one story wasn't the problem, but that it took 6 months to tell. Half a year of "Ultimate Wolverine" when the title is supposed to be "Ultimate X-Men" does get quite annoying. It was made worse because Bendis ignored part of the team for the next 6-part arc, also taking half a year, and so we weren't really getting the whole team-thing for a year.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, UltimateE, it's like in a movie when they set it up for a sequel... There are little hints here and there that will eventually add up to something else, right?

Bludd_Rush said:
I don't mind team books focusing on a single character for a storyline, nor do I have a problem with that character being Wolverine. The problem with this during a 6-part arc, however, is that it takes half a year to tell this story. The fact that it was only one story wasn't the problem, but that it took 6 months to tell. Half a year of "Ultimate Wolverine" when the title is supposed to be "Ultimate X-Men" does get quite annoying. It was made worse because Bendis ignored part of the team for the next 6-part arc, also taking half a year, and so we weren't really getting the whole team-thing for a year.

Bludd Rush, that is so true. I never even though of it like that and it's true. Nice thinking there.

Absolutely. Bendis really has a difficult time with the team books. Every writer, as I know, has their own personal cryptonite that they must now and then succumb to. Bendis had to take a fall, as a filler writer on this title, and did something to the best of his ability. He attempted to utilize his strong points and, at the same time, TRY and have the team incorporated in the story, only it didn't work. They were only in one full issue out of six issues in that particular arc.

Goodwill said:
Absolutely. Bendis really has a difficult time with the team books. Every writer, as I know, has their own personal cryptonite that they must now and then succumb to. Bendis had to take a fall, as a filler writer on this title, and did something to the best of his ability. He attempted to utilize his strong points and, at the same time, TRY and have the team incorporated in the story, only it didn't work. They were only in one full issue out of six issues in that particular arc.

The thing with the X-Men is that a writer has that luxury more than any other team book.

What? Have characters take the backseat like that? Well, I would tend to agree, but Bendis DID seem to abuse that priviledge, don't you think?

Goodwill said:
Have characters take the backseat like that?

With Bendis, Iceman was the one who really took the backseat. I mean, in his year-long run, Bendis had Iceman say only 4 words, and that was in the last issue of this arc. Iceman was basically like a cameo character during the arc.

Colossus didn't have any, Rogue barely spoke, and Kitty was a piece of the bacground, too. Sure, here and there, some characters had lines, but, really, it got to the point where we only saw Wolverine, Beast, and Storm.

Latest posts

Back