New X-Men Series Discussion (Spoilers)

I was so close to giving up this series. The Belasco arc could not have been less interesting to me, but I loved #42. A lot of good character moments here, some funny scenes, and one laugh out loud moment ($#%^ing unicorns!). I don't know if I particularly care to return to the Purifiers or Predator X storylines, but I'm willing to give it a shot now. Couldn't have said that after 41.

I definitely agree... I thought all this Belasco stuff was dragging on and boring, and we weren't getting enough interaction between the kids... This might be one of my favorite issues of the month though.

Hope we continue to get more Anole. Also hope he gets a sexy boyfriend.

I definitely agree... I thought all this Belasco stuff was dragging on and boring, and we weren't getting enough interaction between the kids... This might be one of my favorite issues of the month though.

Anole is gay? i didn't know that, Quest for Magik was my first arc with this series, i thought it was pretty ok if a little confusing.

this issue was great, i wish Young was staying on as the artist for this book, i think this is the right place for him, Ramos should be getting ahead of time for Runaways instead.

It was going to turn into a thing where he would commit suicide, but Marvel nixed that, so instead they're making him a bigger character. Its why he flipped out when Rockslide called him a sissy.

Not to mention all the "Sorry, I didn't know!!"

The whole thing was a big confusing mess of boring weirdness. Glad it's over.
The odds aren't great. The dating pool for gay teenagers at the mansion is pretty limited.
this issue was great, i wish Young was staying on as the artist for this book, i think this is the right place for him, Ramos should be getting ahead of time for Runaways instead.
Ramos has plenty of time. Whedon's arc won't finish up until mid-2010.
It was going to turn into a thing where he would commit suicide, but Marvel nixed that, so instead they're making him a bigger character. Its why he flipped out when Rockslide called him a sissy.

Not to mention all the "Sorry, I didn't know!!"
I learned it from Wikipedia.

Hooray for Wikipedia.

I haven't finished up the Quest for Magik arc yet, is Magik going to stick around?

I was so close to giving up this series. The Belasco arc could not have been less interesting to me, but I loved #42. A lot of good character moments here, some funny scenes, and one laugh out loud moment ($#%^ing unicorns!). I don't know if I particularly care to return to the Purifiers or Predator X storylines, but I'm willing to give it a shot now. Couldn't have said that after 41.

I thought the Magik arc was the first really excellent one.

And this issue is easy the best of the whole series.

I loved X-23 reaction to Surge kissing Hellion.

Young is one my new favorite artist.

I haven't finished up the Quest for Magik arc yet, is Magik going to stick around?

It really wasn't Magik though, it was Belasco's idea of what Magik should be like. So, it was his wish come true during House of M, and when House of M was dues ex machina, he used his own magical powers to keep her around.

That's how I thought about it.

The Magick arc just ended up falling flat to me. It was great while it was going on and it was easy to get excited at the thought of Illyana coming back and being able to be with Colossus, but in the end it just...well....ended.

But it was still great while going on. Plus Young's art helped keep with the "OH **** WTF ITS ALL CRAZY!" vibe of the story.

This latest issue is a real testament to his skill. To be able to vary his look like that and still maintain his signature style like that......awesome. Reminds me of how Immonen can change his style.

But yeah....this book has that rollercoaster pacing to it. One arc will give you nonstop action. Then next few issues slow down and develop the characters further now that they've dealt with all the crazy. Then it throws them back into the deep end with more action.

It took me a while to figure what Yost was doing....but once I recognized that he's making these kids' lives be all about "reaction then cope" instead of the more detailed "be wary then react then cope then plan" pacing that the normal original X-Men do, it made more sense. They are teenagers after all.

And as far as Mutant X and the Purifiers returning----its ok with me. Starting a fresh X team means that they're gonna have to have their own villains. To have Sinister or any other classic X-villian to be their nemisis is just dumb. The kids are too inexperienced to deal with vets like that. So you're gonna need to have several villains keep returning to make them a valid threat in the New X-Men universe.

And this issue is easy the best of the whole series.

I loved X-23 reaction to Surge kissing Hellion.
Josh sitting in the dark emoing out, Santo wanting to cut off Anole's limbs, Hellion and Mercury telling off Frost, the dog faced boy freaking out about being the youngest, and Laura explaining in disturbing detail how David died were all great. This issue was executed very well.
Young is one my new favorite artist.
I dug his stuff in this issue, but his stuff during the last arc wasn't great.
The Magick arc just ended up falling flat to me. It was great while it was going on and it was easy to get excited at the thought of Illyana coming back and being able to be with Colossus, but in the end it just...well....ended.
I liked the ending. It was the best chapter of the arc. That's not saying much though.
But it was still great while going on. Plus Young's art helped keep with the "OH **** WTF ITS ALL CRAZY!" vibe of the story.
I think that vibe may have been part of why I didn't like the arc.
This latest issue is a real testament to his skill. To be able to vary his look like that and still maintain his signature style like that......awesome. Reminds me of how Immonen can change his style.
Indeed.
But yeah....this book has that rollercoaster pacing to it. One arc will give you nonstop action. Then next few issues slow down and develop the characters further now that they've dealt with all the crazy. Then it throws them back into the deep end with more action.

It took me a while to figure what Yost was doing....but once I recognized that he's making these kids' lives be all about "reaction then cope" instead of the more detailed "be wary then react then cope then plan" pacing that the normal original X-Men do, it made more sense. They are teenagers after all.
At least he stopped killing everyone.

...permanantly anyway.
And as far as Mutant X and the Purifiers returning----its ok with me. Starting a fresh X team means that they're gonna have to have their own villains. To have Sinister or any other classic X-villian to be their nemisis is just dumb. The kids are too inexperienced to deal with vets like that. So you're gonna need to have several villains keep returning to make them a valid threat in the New X-Men universe.
The Purifiers, despite their kill count, don't seem very threatening to me. They are just guys with guns and the religious zealotry angle has runs it's course. And Predator X is a killing machine with no personality whatsoever. Neither of them are great villains. I'm all for New X-Men having it's own big bad. Just give me a good one.

Last edited:
A pinup by Bryan Hitch in New X-Men #43:

xgals.jpg

The new issue had great character moments and development.

The art really captured the emotion of Laura cutting herself, and the sinisterness of the Cuckoos, and even David.

Great.

I liked the last issue a lot. The Astonishing team sitting around talking about how ****ed up and depressing these kids lives have become was great. Like TOG said there were a ton of great character moments here. A lot of them have been building up for a while now, but my favorite was the one that came out of nowhere.

"How do you get a teenager to stop being all dark and twisty?"

Great stuff. Excellent lead in to Messiah Complex. 4.5/5

Latest posts

Back