Newsarama interviews Mike Carey on Ultimate Fantastic Four.

Ultimate Houde

UC's Resident Genetic Recombinator
[IMGL]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/icycleman/mikecarey.jpg[/IMGL] Newsarama takes their turn in interviewing Mike Carey (Ultimate X4) as he takes his return to the the title, but this time as the regular writer for the series, also bringing over the artist he worked previously in the Ultimate X4 mini, Pasqual Ferry.

Coming out of New York Comic-Con's Ultimate Marvel panel, Mike Carey and Pasqual Ferry were named as the new creative team on Ultimate Fantastic Four. We caught up with the writer for some insight on team, as well as where he's planning on taking them in the immediate future.

"I'm on board with issue #33, immediately after Mark finishes his last arc," Carey said of his beginning on the series. "It's an indefinite run insofar as no specific limit has been mentioned. I love the characters, and if everything pans out well I'd like to stick around for a while and explore a lot of different aspects of the book."

Of course, taking the reigns of the ongoing won't be the first time Carey is working with the Four. Prior to joining the ongoing series, the writer has handled the Ultimate team in issues #19-#20 of the series, the Ultimate X-Men/Fantastic Four miniseries, as well as the adaptation of the Fantastic Four movie, and last December's What If?...Fantastic Four one shot.

Click the link above to read the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rule

I must say, the concept sounds interesting. If there was a universe with hardly any energy, then there is the opposite must be true and there is a universe filled with energy. That explains how the characters look, they seem to be made from energy.

What I think would be awesome is if Reed kept exploring his theory on other lives within the galaxy that he was talking about in the first issue of Ultimate Secret.

Ultimate Houde said:
I must say, the concept sounds interesting. If there was a universe with hardly any energy, then there is the opposite must be true and there is a universe filled with energy. That explains how the characters look, they seem to be made from energy.
That IS a pretty cool theory. And if we assume that pretty much all the universes below the UU are dying/dead (though that's not likely) then all of the universes above the UU must be filled with endless potential for evolution and who knows what else.
I'm glad Carey's decided to explore things based on threads from past stories rather than just churn out something "brand new" because he's the new guy (like, say, Bendis did on UXM).
And we've already seen his work on UFF (I didn't get UX4) and his characterization was pretty darn good.
Also glad that he didn't get saddled with Jae Lee for this. Nothing against Jae (love his work, in fact); but I feel that the style he used most recently (in the annual) wasn't that cool. His flamed-on Johnny looked stupid (all misty and hazey).

icemastertron said:
What I think would be awesome is if Reed kept exploring his theory on other lives within the galaxy that he was talking about in the first issue of Ultimate Secret.
That would be cool, ice. Wonder if we can convince him to do that on, like, his message board or something? But wasn't that somebody else's theory that Reed was just 'checking out'?

Looks/Sounds cool. Glad to see the FF go cosmic...at least for a while. Hope I'm overjoyed with the results. Or at least mildly appeased.

Wait, Carey was responsible for that train wreck of a Mini!!! He can't be trust with an on going!

Lynx said:
I like the "Positive Zone" concept. It really makes sense.

Agreed. Should be interesting.

Maxwellsmart said:
Wait, Carey was responsible for that train wreck of a Mini!!! He can't be trusted with an ongoing!

He can be good too. I dunno. I'm worried.

In other news...

The other thing about the "dreamcatcher" chick being there that's confusing me is that she made contact with Charles Xavier first. Doubt there will be any involvement with the X-Men but what are your thoughts on that?

damn, looks like im dropping my first Ultimate book :cry:
never was a huge FF fan and stuck with it coz of the writers (the stories have been great).
picked up both of carey's ult. elektra and x-men/ff minis and they were not awe-inspiring....

Jackie Estacado said:
damn, looks like im dropping my first Ultimate book :cry:
never was a huge FF fan and stuck with it coz of the writers (the stories have been great).
picked up both of carey's ult. elektra and x-men/ff minis and they were not awe-inspiring....
But his UFF #19-20 were great. If he can write like that, it will be great. So we shall see.

forgot about that icemasterton...
was ok but don't think i can carry on getting it on the strength of this writer. to me, 'Ultimate' means my fave writers tackling the characters or having an interest in the characters (hell, I almost never bought Ultimates until i realised Millar was writing - oh how uninformed i was in those days lol)

Mike Carey will do fine. I can't base my opinion off of what I've heard for about X4, but I've read the two issues of his on UFF and I like what I saw.

Goodwill said:
Mike Carey will do fine. I can't base my opinion off of what I've heard for about X4, but I've read the two issues of his on UFF and I like what I saw.

Quality-wise it was totally different.

I think the X4 bit was just an off-the-wall idea that Marvel decided to stick into continuity for no legitimate reason. The X-Men "needed" to interact with the Fantastic Four and Kirkman needed time to play catch up between Vaughan's run and his on UXM. Filler. I think we'll get something totally different out of Carey's run on the title... Dare I say better than his two issues on the title already?

Latest posts

Back