Newsarama interviews Nick Lowe on Ultimate Iron Man

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Over on Newsarama, they talk with editor, Nick Lowe, about the Ultimate Iron Man mini-series (By Orson Scott Card and Andy Kubert), on the story of what's going down in the mini, its schedule, and much more. Some preview pages are also provided.

The last time we saw the Ultimate version of the young Tony Stark, he was in a bad way. After being infected with an experimental virus that turned body cells into constantly regenerating neural cells, Tony's father had to immediately coat him in an experimental nanotechnology armor to prevent the child from suffering constant pain due to the over stimulation of the nerve cells that make up his skin.

Living his life through his toddler years painted head to toe in sky blue nanotech armor, Tony was kidnapped by a rival of his fathers who was intent on discovering the armor's secrets. When we last saw Tony, the armor had been washed off his head, and he was being fitted with the "lid," a rather nasty device designed to dig for secrets in the brain…literally.

With issue #3 of Ultimate Iron Man due in stores at the end of the month, we cornered editor Nick Lowe to talk about the story, the series, and the coming attractions.

Newsarama: First off, have to ask, can you give us some background as to why the series has been delayed and is their any relief in the future in terms of getting this on schedule?

Nick Lowe: Part of the trouble was that we were a little too optimistic with the March release of the book. The simple truth is that this book, from script to pencils, to inks, to coloring and lettering just takes a lot of time. We're really proud of the quality of the book and didn't want to sacrifice that in any way.

NRAMA: Can you talk about the series being split up into two 5-issue mini-series. That's a pretty significant expansion of the story. How has the story changed from originally conceived to its current form?

NL: The story just got bigger than the original five issues we had planned. The only thing that changed from the original conception is the depth that we're going into. Orson has some amazing ideas that are going to shock and amaze the readers. You won't believe some of the stuff that's coming.

NAMA: What kind of new things will readers be getting in this expanded format?

NL: Aside from another 110 pages? You're going to see Tony Stark grow into the man you see in the Ultimates. You'll see Jarvis for the first time and more of Jim Rhodes - who was revealed in the solicit to #4. You'll also see this series get tied to the Ultimate Universe even tighter.

Read more by clicking on the link above.

Last edited:
Having Rhodes and Jarvis involved seems...forced.

Jarvis better be his hilarious same self that he is in the Ultimates.

Damn vampires.

Trivia: Do any of you guys remember what # USM issue Jim Rhodes was mentioned in? Whoever gets it right gets...... um....... a djfnoprize. The first one ever though! :D

icemastertron said:
Do you think that might 'feel' different when read?

Hmmm...if I had to guess, I'd say no, because I'm betting it will read as well as it already has. But I think after I read the issue and absorb what I've read, it will seem forced.

ultimatedjf said:
Trivia: Do any of you guys remember what # USM issue Jim Rhodes was mentioned in? Whoever gets it right gets...... um....... a djfnoprize. The first one ever though! :D

The first issue of the Carnage arc. He was writing the letter to Connors.

DIrishB said:
Did anyone notice how a piece of Tony's foot came off after he kicked Stane in the nads in the preview pages? Whats up with that? Is the kid literally falling apart?
Holy crap. I looked at that page and didn't even notice that! :shock:

Could it be because maybe he's had the blue armor for too long now, and now its beginning to do that? :?

Nice catch, by the way!

Wow... Just, wow. Art is good. With feet falling off and blue kids in teddy bear pajamas, it's hard to say the story looks interesting, but if I keep at this I'll only start a fight. :) So, here's hoping for sense and more Jim Rhodes in the next eight issues.

USM #60 was the issue where Conners recieved a letter from Ultimate Jim Rhodes. This was the first issue of the Carnage arc.

Goodwill said:
Wow... Just, wow. Art is good. With feet falling off and blue kids in teddy bear pajamas, it's hard to say the story looks interesting, but if I keep at this I'll only start a fight. :) So, here's hoping for sense and more Jim Rhodes in the next eight issues.

USM #60 was the issue where Conners recieved a letter from Ultimate Jim Rhodes. This was the first issue of the Carnage arc.

You win the first djfnoprize!! I couldn't give it to Project cuz he didn't say the issue #. :D

ultimatedjf said:
You win the first djfnoprize!! I couldn't give it to Project cuz he didn't say the issue #. :D

Meh, I didn't need it. I couldn't even say it.

ultimatedjf said:

Awesome, do I get an image for my signature??? I need to wear it to make all of the UC posters jealous. ;)

Goodwill said:
Awesome, do I get an image for my signature??? I need to wear it to make all of the UC posters jealous. ;)

No, but you do get bragging rights for winning the first djfnoprize. :wink:

There will be more to come......

Was anyone else REALLY surprised to find out Tony is an IUGM? In Ultimates Nick Fury references Tony's amazing mental abilities, and we also hear him referred to as a freak in Nightmare, if my memory serves me correctly. That, and the fact that he designed the new Iron Man armor while hiking up Mt. Everest kinda had me thinking they were going to take that tact anyways. I was leaning towards a Forge-like ability, but this fits with the character as well.

When was Tony referred to as a freak in Nightmare? I only remember him briefly mentioned when Fury was rounding up his small team... He couldn't come because he would be a hindrance to an under cover mission. What can you tell me, J?

Goodwill said:
When was Tony referred to as a freak in Nightmare? I only remember him briefly mentioned when Fury was rounding up his small team... He couldn't come because he would be a hindrance to an under cover mission. What can you tell me, J?

That's when Fury referred to him as "our friendly little freak of nature" or something like that. First issue.

Latest posts

Back