Newsarama reveals new "gold standard" for Ultimate cover styles - and more

Fuzzy Birds

Newsarama updates with more Ultimate Marvel news, reavealing new cover styles, and more.

"MARVEL GOES FOR THE GOLD, WITH NEW COVER TREATMENT ON BLOCKBUSTING 'ULTIMATE' LINE"

Marvel Entertainment's Ultimate line of comics has proven to be the "Gold Standard" in all areas of its production: characters, stories, art, writing, and sales. Now, the House of Ideas is determined to go the ultimate distance by adding a gold color treatment to the signature cover borders of key Ultimate books.

"This unique signature look to represent the "Gold Standard" will allow fans to quickly identify new number 1's and the beginnings of story arcs in the Ultimate line" says Marvel Publisher Dan Buckley. "The next twelve months will be like no other in the Ultimate world and we don't want our loyal readers to miss a thing".

The new look of the Ultimate books will be timed to coincide with the special ULTIMATE VISION backup story produced by writer Mark Millar and artist John Romita JR.. This story is a prelude to the ULTIMATE EXTINCTION limited series which concludes the Gah Lak Tus Trilogy. The Ultimate Vision backup will have six connected parts of four pages each and will appear in the following titles. (There are no current plans to make the Ultimate Vision backup story available in trade)

NOVEMBER 2005
1. ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #86
2. ULTIMATE X-MEN #65
3. ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #25

DECEMBER 2005
4. ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #87
5. ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #88
6. ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #26

Vision_color.jpg

For more information, click at the link above.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Ultimates V3 in October of 06".....

Eeeeeeeeeee.

PLEASE tell me that there will be a 6 month layover between V2 and V3, not that V2 will run that late....

Ultimate Secret finishes in October, Ultimate Galactus starts in January, that's not too bad. Maybe this time they'll have all the issues DONE before they start. Nahhhhhhhhhh.

ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR will bring us "President Thor" in May, with Mark Millar and Greg Land. The duo's last story for the title, "Frightful" will start in May 06. The new creative team begins their soon-to-be-historic run in August.

I'm guessing theres some typos in regards to the dates, particularly with the President Thor arc. Should be February right? Although.... then don't we miss a month?

Namor is October, November, December

Thor is January, February, March

Frightful must then be April, May, June right?

Unless one month we have no UFF. And who's this new 'soon to be historic' team eh? Who the hell could generate more interest than Millar and Land!?!

Fuzzy Birds said:
Unless one month we have no UFF. And who's this new 'soon to be historic' team eh? Who the hell could generate more interest than Millar and Land!?!
Maybe this has something to do with that UXM/UFF Crossover?

Last edited:
Fuzzy Birds said:

Lol, Land is one of the main reasons I am not reading this arc (I may pick it up in trades, if I hear enough that's good about the plots) - I really dislike his art, especially the way all the women looked posed, as though they are there to lead a cheer for the home team or advertise product in the book, rather than, ya know, be a part of the story. Does he drawn "sexy" characters? Yeah, probably, but it's like there is no life or movement in them. Ick.

Was that MAD image related to the Ultimates in any way?

And Extinction seems to be shaping up nicely too. Starts in Jan and with Brandon Peterson on the art. W00t.

And I'm very curious about this Vision thing. Obviously it's just a silly sale s tactic, but i wonder if the story is actually really worth the telling too. We'll see.

Hey, since U3 doesn't start until late next year, that's plenty of time to get Loeb and MAD injured.

And I think I need to write a stern letter to Marvel about their typo when referring to Card. They did miss the 'un' right?

Rhyo said:
Lol, Land is one of the main reasons I am not reading this arc (I may pick it up in trades, if I hear enough that's good about the plots) - I really dislike his art, especially the way all the women looked posed, as though they are there to lead a cheer for the home team or advertise product in the book, rather than, ya know, be a part of the story. Does he drawn "sexy" characters? Yeah, probably, but it's like there is no life or movement in them. Ick.
I totally agree. I'm not a fan of Land's art for the same reason.

So. . .no Ultimates 3 until October. That sucks.

Ultimate X-men is some pretty cool news. Kirkman is a good writer (I have a friend that will flip out about this. Walking Dead is his favorite comic) and I hope he has some good stories for us. Raney was nice on the Annual and Dillon is cool too. Still, this begs the question "Does Singer's arc start at the end of summer?"

Ultimate Spidey is more of the same. I still can't believe he's doing the Clone Saga. At least it'll only be 4 issues instead of 200.

UFF better not be delayed. And, honestly, who would constitute a "historic team"? Unless they got Morrison like originally planned. . .I'd pee myself. :lol:

I'm glad Extinction isnt going to get pushed back farther. I re-read the Tempest arc recently and I adore Peterson's art. Should definetly be a good read.

As for Vision. . .at first, I thought this was Vision II, but it's a lead-in to Ultimate Extinction??? Does that means this is Vision I with a new look? To be honest, this story'd would make much more sense if this is the re-designed body of Vision I by Falcon ('Cause then, Wanda wouldn't be a lesbian), and I think I would really enjoy it. This also means that there's a good possibility Extinction takes place before Ultimates 2, and why Hank would name his robot Vision II (A tribute to the robot that saved the world, but got destroyed trying maybe?). The more I think about it, the more I get used to Extinction taking place before Ultimates 2.

Last edited:
The last line of that article made me laugh out loud.

I like most of the news.

Things I don't like...

Vision's look. I still am confused as to why it's gonna be a chick.
Still don't like the UXM/UFF concept but like everything else about it.
And Card still on Iron Man.

No really I thought that when presenting Card they should've been more like "And unfortunately Orson Scott Card is still Ultimate Iron Man" Instead they stress novelist so we think, "ok, it's not his fault he SUCKS!"
Um everything else is cool.

When they talk about Millar/Land and the UFF I think they mean that their run is going to be one to remember.

* Popular novelist and unpopular comic writer Orson Scott Card will continue his story of the Ultimate Tony Stark in ULTIMATE IRON MAN 2, with art by Pasqual Ferry.

Ha!

Ok, so we now know that the Vision story is a prelude to Galactus. That would lead us to believe that the Vision we are going to be seeing and following is the one from Tunguska. The one that had been stripped to little more than a head and a pair of shoulders by the soviets. The one that said it had self automated repair features. Has the idea that the Vision CHOOSES to become a female not occured to anyone yet? You know, the concepts of human biology and conception are explained and it chooses to become a bearer of life in opposition to the bringer of death? Its one of the first idea's that popped in my head when I read this, but I'm also crazy so I don't know. I think its cool they actually decided to follow up on and continue the Ellis ultimization because it was one of the most interesting and inventive ones they have done yet.

Anyways, some cool stuff, killer to hear that Kirkman is going to handle X-Men reigns, I think he'll be well suited to it.

I'm leaning to the idea that this Vision is Vision II. Although whatever gives Ultron consciousness might give Vision II the consciousness of a women. I'm at a lose as to why they would want to have Vision as female robot with huge METAL tits. I'm confused as to why she would be a woman at all, yet alone the tits. I can only assume that it's for male attention. I'm offended by their opinion of our maturity, but at the same time I'm impressed by their observational skills.

If that happens to be VISION 2 and not a rebuilt Vision from Russia (which I really like the idea of, by the way), it then makes me wonder which one of the two robots Wanda was flirting with in U2...

*runs before MWoF goes off*

She-Vision is silly. Its a robot, why does it need boobs?

Bah. Its been said.

The cover thing...I dunno if this is a good idea. It kind of smacks of the special House of M labelling, and look how well that worked out.

Rhyo said:
Ultimate Secret finishes in October, Ultimate Galactus starts in January, that's not too bad. Maybe this time they'll have all the issues DONE before they start. Nahhhhhhhhhh.

Rhyo. you can take it to the bank that there will be at least ONE 2-3 month delay for final series of Ultimate Galactus minis. in fact, if Marvel keeps to their usual shameful standard for this series, I predict it won't finish until around this time next year.

Fuzzy Birds said:

Nick Fury: Okay Sam, how's the Vision thing coming... What the hell is that?
Sam: It's Vision.
Vision: Hello.
Nick Fury: What did you do to Vision?
Sam: Well, you told me to study and fix her...
Nick Fury: When did it become a her?
Sam: About 30 minutes after you left me alone with it. I had this idea you see...
Nick Fury: Why are there scented candles and a drawn bath here? Why are you naked?
Sam: Well, I felt the best way to download the information from Vision would be to physically integrate with it. Unfortunately, my memory stick was too flaccid to fit into any of her memory ports. I upgraded Vision to look like this, and now, my memory stick is hard enough to retain its consistency when fitting into the special port I created.
Vision: The only problem is that I seem incabaple of delivering the information into Sam, because the only port in his memory stick seems to discharge information in a liquid state into my memory port. Obviously your technology is of a different system to my own and I am unable yet to adapt fully and accept the data. However, I am adamant that with enough constant practice...
Nick Fury: And Gah Lak Tus?
Vision: It is strange, General Fury, but despite the impending apocalypse and our continuous failure to share information, Mr Wilson seems unbelivably calm and mellow at all times.
Sam: Shush, honey. Y'see Nick, I thought, if this Gah Lak Tus fella is going to anti-create us or whatever, I thought, why not do the things I've always wanted?
Nick Fury: So you've had this machine for weeks, a machine with information that may save the human race from a celestial predator, and all you did was turn it into a fully functioning robot woman?
Sam: Yes.
Nick Fury: You know you've doomed the entire human race, don't you?
Sam: Yes. Yes I do.
Nick Fury: Sam, you're the reason why there's war in the Middle East.

if that doesn't become post of the day, i'll laugh at he shoots his own head.

Latest posts

Back