Ninja Turtles

Langsta

I think the Turtles need a revamp, or like a quality series. I was thinking today, what if Frank Miller did a Turtles revamp. I kept picturing the Turtles as drawn by Miller in black and white, with the color of their masks being the only color showing on the page. But anyway, if they actually did do a new series, what origin should they go with? Should Splinter be the pet of Hamato Yoshi, who kills Oroku Nagi for killing his love, prompting him to flee to NYC only to be slain by Nagi's brother Saki, who has become the Splinter, leading Splinter to go to the sewers, which was the original comic book origin, or should it be Splinter and Shredder being rivals because Shredder killed their master?

Are you taking about revamping the original comic series? You do realize that the orginal comics were a parody/homage to Miller's DD (ex: Stick=Splinter, The Hand=The Foot, etc) So it was already in a Miller style from the get go. The orginal comic was in black and white and featured characters who acted like samurai instead of heroes, willing to kill their enmies (they killed numerous Foot Ninja for example.)

Plus putting aside some of the goofier concepts (mutants, Utroms, etc) the TMNT were fairly realsitic in certain cocnepts: The shredder was killed, cameback as a clone and was beheaded. For the past 20 years Shredder remains dead. Plus the series has occured in real time, I think the TMNT are in their 30s now and Splinter died of heart attack.

Exactly what do you want to change, the TMNT have a pretty small rogues gallery (Shredder/Foot, Baxter Stockman, Rat King (kinda), Triceraton republic/Federation and a bunch of one shot characters that die at the end of the issue.) For the most part they have either killed or made peace with most of their enemies in the comic.

Last edited:
Are you taking about revamping the original comic series? You do realize that the orginal comics were a parody/homage to Miller's DD (ex: Stick=Splinter, The Hand=The Foot, etc) So it was already in a Miller style from the get go. The orginal comic was in black and white and featured characters who acted like samurai instead of heroes, willing to kill their enmies (they killed numerous Foot Ninja for example.)

Plus putting aside some of the goofier concepts (mutants, Utroms, etc) the TMNT were fairly realsitic in certain cocnepts: The shredder was killed, cameback as a clone and was beheaded. For the past 20 years Shredder remains dead. Plus the series has occured in real time, I think the TMNT are in their 30s now and Splinter died of heart attack.

Exactly what do you want to change, the TMNT have a pretty small rogues gallery (Shredder/Foot, Baxter Stockman, Rat King (kinda), Triceraton republic/Federation and a bunch of one shot characters that die at the end of the issue.) For the most part they have either killed or made peace with most of their enemies in the comic.

....A reboot was what I had in mind....a darker, more realistic take....and yeah, I know TMNT was kind of inspired by DD and Ronin and stuff....

....A reboot was what I had in mind....a darker, more realistic take....and yeah, I know TMNT was kind of inspired by DD and Ronin and stuff....

More realstic? You do realze we are talking about mutant turtles who know material arts, right? The concpet was a parody, it invites a certain amount of goofiness. as for makng it darker, what, Shredder getting head cut off wasn't dark enough for ya? Sure you can recon some of the bad stuff they did in Vol. 4 (what they did to April was a crime), they already editted out Vol.3, but what would you change about Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 to make it more "Realstic and darker"?

Last edited:
More realstic? You do realze we are talking about mutant turtles who know material arts, right? The concpet was a parody, it invites a certain amount of goofiness. as for makng it darker, what, Shredder getting head cut off wasn't dark enough for ya? Sure you can recon some of the bad stuff they did in Vol. 4 (what they did to April was a crime), they already editted out Vol.3, but what would you change about Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 to make it more "Realstic and darker"?

You're the one who said it was realistic already.
"Plus putting aside some of the goofier concepts (mutants, Utroms, etc) the TMNT were fairly realsitic in certain cocnepts: The shredder was killed, cameback as a clone and was beheaded. For the past 20 years Shredder remains dead. Plus the series has occured in real time, I think the TMNT are in their 30s now and Splinter died of heart attack."

Also, just because it was inspired by Frank Miller, doesn't mean it can't be written by him. Al Pacino parodied himself, the gangster type, in Dick Tracy.

Last edited:
You're the one who said it was realistic already.
"Plus putting aside some of the goofier concepts (mutants, Utroms, etc) the TMNT were fairly realsitic in certain cocnepts: The shredder was killed, cameback as a clone and was beheaded. For the past 20 years Shredder remains dead. Plus the series has occured in real time, I think the TMNT are in their 30s now and Splinter died of heart attack."

I said putting aside the goofier elements, which clearly means there are elements that are kinda goofy (like the outer space stuff) which part of the TMNT concept which combines martial arts violence with off the wall sci fi elements. I'm just not sure what you are asking for, how do you think TMNT should be changed, why don't you start off with your example?

Edit: you what could be cool though, a new version of Slash. Either created by the Foot or the government, Slash would be a clone that combnes the dNA of all 4 turtles. the clone would then be programed with 4 fighting styles of the turtles, but programed to be loyal to the Foot/or government.

Last edited:
The new series was great. It was a different darker take from the comics. About as dark as you would expect from a Saturday morning cartoon.

Well I can't stop drawing Sin City-style Ninja Turtles now. Super-detailed, super-angry, mutant turtles with forehead wrinkles and whatnot.

Last edited:
I really don't like the TMNT comics. I prefer the Turtles to be fun, light-hearted crimefighters in the spirit of Spider-Man, Zorro and Robin Hood. In the comics, they're brutal, ruthless, cold-hearted vigilantes and that just doesn't sit well with me. I think the recent movie has shown that you can have serious Ninja action as well as goofiness. I think that's the direction the franchise needs to take.

There was a good Usagi Yojimbo episode though.

Latest posts

Back