Obama

so honestly, I don't live in the states any more and I couldn't care less about your politics. The ten years that I lived there made me very glad to be done with the American political system. Not to be rude, but I really appreciate Canada's parliamentary system (we definitely have our issues, no system is perfect).

All that to say, I have nothing against Obama. I don't hate Bush, but i recognize he made a lot of mistakes. I am politically conservative, but I recognize that a political balance is necessary to govern a nation as huge and diverse as the US. And even though I am an evangelical Christian (a Baptist pastor even) I don't think that Obama is the antichrist. I am able to disagree with someone without calling him names.
And I do think that it's cool that the US has overcome a huge stigma and elected an African American. That's a good thing.

However, I don't agree that he deserved to win the Nobel peace prize. I'm sure that Obama has great plans for the US and is working to execute those plans, but he hasn't done anything yet. And by that, I don't mean he hasn't succeeded b/c of some obstacle, I mean he's been in office for less than a year. Nothing has happened b/c there hasn't been enough time for anything to happen. And no one knows where this is going. It is possible that by the time he's out of office he won't have made much progress, but if in that time he's stuck with it and been an example to the world, then okay, give him the prize. But who knows what will happen in the next three years. In three years he might completely drop the ball and the whole country might hate him; Bush had very high approval ratings at first too.

Some misguided 'christians' have made reference to Obama as the antichrist. That's very ignorant of them; but the fact is that very few people take them seriously. On the other hand, a lot of people have set Obama up as a messiah of sorts, "He who will save us all." This is dangerous b/c when push comes to shove, Obama is just a man. I'm sure he takes his responsibilities seriously and honestly wants what's best for the US and for the world, but he's just a man. He will let you down. And that's okay, but before you exalt his name any more, make him earn it.

Okay, firstly, the NPP isn't something you campaign for. He didn't ask for it, he personally doesn't think he deserved it, but he doesn't get a say. The reason why he received it was that he has from the moment he was nominated to today, he's done nothing but rally support for a nuke-free world, a peaceful Israeli/Palestinian region, mending all the fences the previous administration tore down. He's started frank and open talks with Iran, he's gotten Russia on our side in the battle against nuclear proliferation in the Middle East.

But no, he's done nothing to get the Peace Prize.

Nothing at all. </sarcasm>

By the way, since whiney people won't stop *****ing that the world may actually be happier with Obama in office, here's the exact reason why this private organization chose Obama for their prize.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

Obama has as President created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.

Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future. His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population.

For 108 years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has sought to stimulate precisely that international policy and those attitudes for which Obama is now the world's leading spokesman. The Committee endorses Obama's appeal that "Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges."

Oslo, October 9, 2009

Okay, firstly, the NPP isn't something you campaign for. He didn't ask for it, he personally doesn't think he deserved it, but he doesn't get a say. The reason why he received it was that he has from the moment he was nominated to today, he's done nothing but rally support for a nuke-free world, a peaceful Israeli/Palestinian region, mending all the fences the previous administration tore down. He's started frank and open talks with Iran, he's gotten Russia on our side in the battle against nuclear proliferation in the Middle East.

By the way, since whiney people won't stop *****ing that the world may actually be happier with Obama in office, here's the exact reason why this private organization chose Obama for their prize.

Basically what Skotti said, but nicer. While Obama Hasn't accomplished much in office, him opening relationships to all countries in the name of peace Is one BIG ****ing step forward for America, a country that has a lot of sway in the world and has had very poor foreign policy. While the Nobel committee felt it was a bit early, they wanted to throw their support behind this influential method Obama has adopted and follow through with because it can lead to peace and that's the point of the award after all. It may seem insignificant to the naked eye, but it really has done a lot for the interest of peace.

...So I tried really hard to be fair in what I said. I know that Obama didn't campaign for the Nobel prize. I know he said he didn't think he deserves it. And I don't think that Obama is using his celebrity status for personal gain. On the contrary, I think he's using his celebrity status to work for peace and improve the US' relations with other nations. I have nothing against him. I just think it was premature to give him the Nobel peace prize. That's all. Sorry if my opinion upsets you.

Basically what Skotti said, but nicer. While Obama Hasn't accomplished much in office, him opening relationships to all countries in the name of peace Is one BIG ****ing step forward for America, a country that has a lot of sway in the world and has had very poor foreign policy. While the Nobel committee felt it was a bit early, they wanted to throw their support behind this influential method Obama has adopted and follow through with because it can lead to peace and that's the point of the award after all. It may seem insignificant to the naked eye, but it really has done a lot for the interest of peace.

Sure, and good for him for doing that. (I mean that).

I don't know. Maybe there isn't anyone else in the world right now who deserves it more than Obama does. I don't have a list of people I think deserve it more. It just seems to me that the Nobel prize is a really big honour to give to someone who's only spent the past year working on this.

But regardless of what I think, it was awarded to him. I hope his efforts pay off and world benefits from his work.

I'm personally amused by constant misinformation on the president's spending, employment numbers, "broken promises"

I'm still baffled that Obama's spending is slower than any president since Woodrow Wilson, that's an amazing feat that no one mentions.

Latest posts

Back