OnLive

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
Will OnLive Change the Future of Gaming?
We offer our impressions and industry insiders speak on the tech that could destroy consoles.

While E3 is generally known for the big, groundbreaking announcements, this year's GDC may have housed the biggest unveiling we've seen in quite some time as OnLive announced its self-titled on-demand gaming service. The cloud computing version of gaming, players need only either a browser plug-in or a cheap device (called the MicroConsole) in order to play high-end PC games. Servers handle the hard work and stream the video output to your device at home, eliminating the need to purchase high-end PC gaming hardware (or perhaps even consoles). For in-depth details on how the service works, you should definitely read our announcement article

more here

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/965/965542p1.html

Cool concept but one I'm not sure if it'll work or not. Find out in the future but still looks promising.

more here

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/965/965542p1.html

Cool concept but one I'm not sure if it'll work or not. Find out in the future but still looks promising.

Interesting, but the biggest problem is, in most countries, and now areas of the US, which are putting caps on monthly bandwidth. I read an article comparing how much play time you'd get in some areas, it averaged at like 4 hours a month, and that is without any other web usage.

I have a 25GB monthly cap which I pretty much use up every month just on comics, music and TV shows. :(

Interesting, but the biggest problem is, in most countries, and now areas of the US, which are putting caps on monthly bandwidth. I read an article comparing how much play time you'd get in some areas, it averaged at like 4 hours a month, and that is without any other web usage.

A good point. Maybe if the a-hole bandwidth cap is about to go national, which would severely limit Onlive's marketability, then they could perhaps cut a deal with cable companies for part of the profits in lieu of the cap?

I'm dreaming, I know. I just HATE HATE HATE the bandwidth cap that's creeping up on us.

I have a 25GB monthly cap which I pretty much use up every month just on comics, music and TV shows. :(

Ugh. Where do you live?

Soon as this hits NY, the awesome streaming Netflix on xbox, and maybe soon even the Wii, will become a lot less awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. Where do you live?

Soon as this hits NY, the awesome streaming Netflix on xbox, and maybe soon even the Wii, will become a lot less awesome.

Australia. New Zealand has it too. :(

Latest posts

Back