Orson Scott Card buys Marvel!

Have you guys actually read anything by Card other than Ultimate Iron Man? Assuming he's anti-gay just because he's Mormon?
No one assumes he's anti-gay because he's Mormon. With that logic, every Mormon would be anti-gay (then again, that would explain Tog...).

But he's proven he's anti-gay by all the articles he's quoted saying how he's against it and all.

Have you guys actually read anything by Card other than Ultimate Iron Man? Assuming he's anti-gay just because he's Mormon?

Read his stuff on www.hatrack.com

He's actually a pretty fascinting person.

I can honestly say I haven't, not my fault, brother said I wouldn't like them, and my brother has a good peg on what I like.

does Card carry a backpack and a namebadge at all times?
otherwise hes not a TRUE mormon

Last edited:
Breaking news!

JFK is coming back to life in 2009!

I can't reveal the source (although I can reveal he was pissing on the bar's pinball machine when he told me), but it's 100% true news!!

Last edited:
The man in the stall next to me at an airport men's room indicated to me through a series of foot taps that Card's first move as Glorious Ruler of the Marvels (The new job title he invented for himself.) is to "cure Hulkling and Wiccan of the Young Avengers of their disturbing gayness." It will be revealed that The Gays are infiltrating the Marvel Universe, led by Northstar. This will be the precursor to next year's big event, "Secret Butt Invasion".

The person in the stall who told me this was a homeless black man who claimed to be Alan Moore.

I have no reason to doubt him.

:lol:

Does this mean all the leather costumes will be dropped as well? :(

Read his stuff on www.hatrack.com

He's actually a pretty fascinting person.

He's anti-gay because he often posts blogs and other such nonsense likening homosexuality to a disease and homosexuals as less than human.

The real question is, have you read anything by OSC other than his fiction? If not, do so and have your eyes opened.

I have read lots of his fiction and all of his world-watch and reviews on hatrack.com.

His recent essay on Mamma Mia! and the Dark Knight expresses his disgust when writers decide use a character's homosexuality just as a punchline or a gag. He sees homosexuality as but one aspect of a complicated person's existence and not something to define them.

I quote from the article(Mamma Mia! spoilers): " I had a wonderful time watching it. Except for the appalling moment when Colin Firth's character suddenly reveals himself to be gay. No, it's not because I'm anti-gay. It's because they trivialize and ridicule him and homosexuality. His developing relationship with a gay Greek man is never shown or hinted at -- it is revealed only as a punch line. As a joke. It's a slap in the face to all gay people."

That doesn't sound like someone who sees homosexuals as less than human. In fact, it sounds like someone who would be directly opposed to characterizing homosexuals as less than human.

I'm wondering what in his writing causes makes you think he sees homosexuals as something under than human and homosexuality like a disease? I'd love to read it.

I have read lots of his fiction and all of his world-watch and reviews on hatrack.com.

His recent essay on Mamma Mia! and the Dark Knight expresses his disgust when writers decide use a character's homosexuality just as a punchline or a gag. He sees homosexuality as but one aspect of a complicated person's existence and not something to define them.

I quote from the article(Mamma Mia! spoilers): " I had a wonderful time watching it. Except for the appalling moment when Colin Firth's character suddenly reveals himself to be gay. No, it's not because I'm anti-gay. It's because they trivialize and ridicule him and homosexuality. His developing relationship with a gay Greek man is never shown or hinted at -- it is revealed only as a punch line. As a joke. It's a slap in the face to all gay people."

That doesn't sound like someone who sees homosexuals as less than human. In fact, it sounds like someone who would be directly opposed to characterizing homosexuals as less than human.

I'm wondering what in his writing causes makes you think he sees homosexuals as something under than human and homosexuality like a disease? I'd love to read it.
Well, it's probably because of this giant article where he rambles on about how gay marriage is going to "kill democracy" and that gay people suffer from "sex-role dysfunctions" and are just "tragic genetic mix-ups".

I suppose we've all just misunderstood his position on the issue somehow.

Here's a quote from an article he wrote concerning his views on the legality of gay marriage:

Orson Scott Card said:
That a few individuals suffer from tragic genetic mixups does not affect the differences between genetically distinct males and females.

He calls being gay a tragic genetic mix-up. That doesn't seem to look down on homosexuality to you? Here's the rest of that article.

Besides that quote, his argument for the courts not getting involved in allowing gay marriage are incredibly weak and one-sided (not taking into account that gays deserve the same tax breaks and advantages straight people are entitled to through marriage).

Whats even more mind-blowing to me is Card's insistence that marriage compounds procreation, and that marriage is necessary for the continued survival of the human race. Even if that were true (which it most definitly isn't), considering how quickly we're rushing towards a state of extreme over-population on this planet nullifies whatever crackpot point he was trying to make.

Card needs to stick to writing science fiction novels instead of trying to back up his bigoted beliefs.

Last edited:
Here's a quote from an article he wrote concerning his views on the legality of gay marriage:

He calls being gay a tragic genetic mix-up. That doesn't seem to look down on homosexuality to you? Here's the rest of that article.

Besides that quote, his argument for the courts not getting involved in allowing gay marriage are incredibly weak and one-sided (not taking into account that gays deserve the same tax breaks and advantages straight people are entitled to through marriage).

Okay, so I havn't read that article. Thank you for the link.

Give me a second...

...okay, done.

While I do think that everyone deserves the same protections under the law regardless of marital status--something he doesn't address well one way or another--I don't think this article constitutes a hatred of homosexuality.

Biologically, there is no reason nature would make someone homosexual. Sociologically, with all of the anti-homosexual sentiment the world has, there is no reason anyone would choose to be homosexual.

Possible explanaitions: There is an intelligent creator who thinks it is really funny to make people gay to see how they'll react--possible, but highly unlikely an omnipotent being would bother screwing with us mortals that way.

Option 2: Sometimes nature doesn't follow biological imperatives and things mutate. It's the basis of a large sector of comic book superheroes. If mutation isn't another word for "genetic mix-up" I don't know what is, and if the way that people treat homosexuals isn't tragic, I don't know what is.

I do wish he had addressed the gap between the rights the government protects for heterosexual and homosexual couples. It's tragic and unfair. That said, I don't think he looks down on homosexuals so much as he looks down on homosexuality, the (he admits) small role it plays in the normalization of an anti-marriage culture, and the way that heterosexuals have played in making marriage a largely meaningless term for modern culture.

He's raging against the unconstitutional judicial legislation of an ancient custom that predates the Constitution driven by a philosophical and political viewpoint that undercuts his most fundemental values.

It's a VERY complicated and multi-faceted viewpoint that deserves to not just be boiled down to "OSC hates gays, lol."

Reading this article shows that he recognizes that homosexuals are complicated and real people which deserve to be treated with the respect and seriousness deserving of any human being.

Anyway, thanks for giving me the chance to read more of his stuff, and to better understand his viewpoint.

P.S. I'm not trying to start a big flaming controversy here, I just think that his viewpoints are worth a second look.

That actually makes total sense.
To put on my Houde Hat, there are actually a lot of valid reasons that I've heard for why homosexuality would exist from an evolutionary standpoint.

The key thing to consider is that evolution isn't just about the survival of individuals, but the species as a whole, meaning that even if a gay person never procreates, they are still contributing to the survival of the species. Population control is one obvious thing that people point to. Another would be the integration of the male and female brains: essentially, in a modern world where one's gender means less and less, having characteristics of both sexes could be beneficial. The theory I like the most is that homosexuality stabilizes communities. The more stable relationships there are in a species, be they between people of opposite sexes or the same sex, the more harmony there will be. If gay couples were allowed to marry in the US, it would probably strengthen marriage, and if they were allowed to adopt, millions of children who would otherwise grow up without parents would have a home.

Last edited:
That actually makes total sense.

Except that it doesn't. Nature doesn't have a "reason" for why it does things. It merely has a blueprint. And sometimes the blueprints vary.

If you really want to get into theory, you could argue that a certain probability of homosexuality could be built into human DNA as a defense mechanism against extinction through overpopulation.

Except that it doesn't. Nature doesn't have a "reason" for why it does things. It merely has a blueprint. And sometimes the blueprints vary.

If you really want to get into theory, you could argue that a certain probability of homosexuality could be built into human DNA as a defense mechanism against extinction through overpopulation.
All this evolutionary nonsense offends me. Everyone knows homosexuality is the logical result of intelligent design.

I'm far from an evolutionary expert, but my understanding of the whole thing is that instinct drives organisms to do anything they can to survive. That's WHY they evolve. I've never heard of a species or organism keeping itself in check - that's what other species are for - and it makes no sense whatsoever given the *definition* of evolution.

Nature may not have a reason, but it most definitely has a purpose.

Latest posts

Back