Out Of Toon (Top 10 Best Animated Films)

It's not the ten best, it's the ten supposedly most appealing to adults instead of kids. HUGE difference. Otherwise the lack of (The Lion King, Toy Story 2, The Incredibles, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Shrek 1, The Iron Giant, etc) wouldn't make any sense.

I can't really comment on the list itself because the only ones I've seen properly from beginning to end were Wall-E and Waking Life, and I don't think any of them are that phenomenal. I did see Yellow Submarine too and really liked it but that was 12 years ago and I'd have to see it again.

Last edited:
It's not the ten best, it's the ten supposedly most appealing to adults instead of kids. HUGE difference. Otherwise the lack of (The Lion King, Toy Story 2, The Incredibles, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Shrek 1, The Iron Giant, etc) wouldn't make any sense.

I can't really comment on the list itself because the only ones I've seen properly from beginning to end were Wall-E and Waking Life, and I don't think any of them are that phenomenal. I did see Yellow Submarine too and really liked it but that was 12 years ago and I'd have to see it again.

well no ****. the article explains it all.

Would you criticize a list of live-action films because it didn't include films that catered to children? Animation is not necessarily a kids genre, just because it has often been used and mistreated as one certainly doesn't relegate it off to the corner.

That being said, Fantasia is a brilliant concept, but if you're going for groundbreaking Animation that hit millions and changed the artform, while still being a great film, they ought to have included Bambi (If you go back and look at the animation for that film, its astonishing), or at least Snow White. Fantasia has moments of greatness, but other sections are lacking. That said, its still a brilliant idea.

I was very impressed with the inclusion of Bakshi, though. Fritz the Cat is a brilliant film, though I might prefer Bakshi's next feature animation, "Heavy Traffic", as its a much more personal piece that still deals with the same race issues.

Heavy Metal and Yellow Sub are more landmarks in animation then they are great films.

And I think any Miyazaki film would beat out Akira for a spot in the top ten.

But I agree that Wall-E is the best representative of Pixar's screen work.

Okay now kids, Let's start the inevitable...

What are your Top Ten Animated Films? (It would be fine if you separate Eastern and Western animation and did separate lists, but I am going to try my best to keep them together)

Akira's a given. So is Fantasia. Waking Life, enh....Not so sure it belongs on this list. I don't know what the hell Yellow Submarine and Heavy Metal are doing there. Fritz the Cat could have been left out. Who Framed Roger Rabbit should have been on there. Lupin III could have been included. And maybe the Lord of the Rings cartoon? And definitely all of the Miyazaki films (seriously, any of his movies could be on that list). They could have considered A Nightmare Before Christmas. Metropolis, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Hercules, Mask of the Phantasm....Steamboy. Polar Express. Finding Nemo. Shrek. Lilo & Stitch. Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

My top animated movies, in no particular order:
Akira
Lion King
Iron Giant
Tarzan (Phil Collins!!)
Mulan
The Incredibles

A lot of other classics, like Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Alice in Wonderland, Jungle Book, Aladdin, Robin Hood, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Land Before Time, A Christmas Carol, Fox and the Hound, Balto, Hunchback of Notre Dame, James and the Giant Peach, Prince of Egypt, Toy Story, etc. I haven't seen since preschool, so I can't really judge them.

Akira's a given. So is Fantasia. Waking Life, enh....Not so sure it belongs on this list. I don't know what the hell Yellow Submarine and Heavy Metal are doing there. Fritz the Cat could have been left out. Who Framed Roger Rabbit should have been on there. Lupin III could have been included. And maybe the Lord of the Rings cartoon? And definitely all of the Miyazaki films (seriously, any of his movies could be on that list). They could have considered A Nightmare Before Christmas. Metropolis, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Hercules, Mask of the Phantasm....Steamboy. Polar Express. Finding Nemo. Shrek. Lilo & Stitch. Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

My top animated movies, in no particular order:
Akira
Lion King
Iron Giant
Tarzan (Phil Collins!!)
Mulan
The Incredibles

A lot of other classics, like Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Alice in Wonderland, Jungle Book, Aladdin, Robin Hood, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Land Before Time, A Christmas Carol, Fox and the Hound, Balto, Hunchback of Notre Dame, James and the Giant Peach, Prince of Egypt, Toy Story, etc. I haven't seen since preschool, so I can't really judge them.

It's been mentioned a few times already but keep in mind that the movies on the list are movies geared towards adults (18+), mostly of a mature theme and have many adult themes dealing with drugs and violence to a degree. Anything considered remotely okay for kids is NOT on the list, other than Fantasia. and it's also been said as well, but feel free to post your personal top ten regardless of age restriction.

Latest posts

Back