Pinkerton

Frapalino

Well-Known Member
i just bought UFF vol. 1 and it's pretty kick butt. i was reading it at the laudrymat and a kid was reading over my shoulder the whole time. it definately is a book that works for the younger kids and older folk. i've bought and read all the vol. 1 tpb's and i think UFF is my fav so far with Spidey coming in a close second.

i'm trying to catch up so i can post in some current and relevant discussions
 

Patriot Mk2

The poster formerly known as Johnny Bravo
Yeah its pretty good.Have you tried Ultimates?Thats aimed at an older audience and soars above the rest of the line in terms of quality.Vol's 2+3 would read better in trade so its a pretty good format to collect that title in.
 

Caduceus

The Original Muffins Man
Can I ask....Why is this thread called Pinkerton? For that matter, whats a Pinkerton?
 

Patriot Mk2

The poster formerly known as Johnny Bravo
Caduceus said:
Can I ask....Why is this thread called Pinkerton? For that matter, whats a Pinkerton?

Dunno.Think Pinkerton is some form of fish food....
 

ultimatedjf

Well-Known Member
Frapalino said:
i just bought UFF vol. 1 and it's pretty kick butt. i was reading it at the laudrymat and a kid was reading over my shoulder the whole time. it definately is a book that works for the younger kids and older folk. i've bought and read all the vol. 1 tpb's and i think UFF is my fav so far with Spidey coming in a close second.

i'm trying to catch up so i can post in some current and relevant discussions


I'm glad to see you like volume one. I know quite a few people who think tho title doesn't heat up until issue seven, so I just hope you love the next issue's, too! :D
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Patriot said:
Dunno.Think Pinkerton is some form of fish food....

It's is also an album by Weezer as well as the name of a security company here in the US.
 

compound

Well-Known Member
I believe Pinkerton is also the name of the protagonist of Puccini's Madame Butterfly, a sailor aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, who marries Cio-Cio-San, or Madame Butterfly, a fifteen year old Japanese girl, during a stop in Nagasaki, Japan.

I assume the Weezer album title is a deliberate nod to the opera, since the lyrics to "El Scorcho" refer to Cio-Cio-San and "half-Japanese girls".

How any of this relates to UFF is still beyond me, though...
 

Patriot Mk2

The poster formerly known as Johnny Bravo
compound said:
How any of this relates to UFF is still beyond me, though...

Ditto.Fraps could just be a strange little man.......
Also,when I thought of fish food the thing I was thinking of was plankton,not
pinkerton.
 

Frapalino

Well-Known Member
i guess i am a weird little man. altough i'm six foot three so i don't know if that qualifies as little. i was just listening to the Weezer album at the time. and i have read first ultimates tpb, it was the first one i bought and read and i didn't like it at first but after a reread i definately liked it. Thor and Cap are pretty slick.
 

Friday

Well-Known Member
Well, The Pinkerton detectives were anything from lawmen to thugs starting in the 1800s. They were traditionaly seen as advisaries to outlaws in the wild west, and if you know your union history they were commonly called in to break up strikes and rallies. I do belive that Pinkerton Securities is a decendent of the classic Pinkerton agency.

Can't say I know why Wheezer called thier new album that, but I'm loving that Beverly Hills song they've got out as a single.
 

Patriot Mk2

The poster formerly known as Johnny Bravo
Frapalino said:
i guess i am a weird little man. altough i'm six foot three so i don't know if that qualifies as little. i was just listening to the Weezer album at the time. and i have read first ultimates tpb, it was the first one i bought and read and i didn't like it at first but after a reread i definately liked it. Thor and Cap are pretty slick.

.......whoopsie.Tony?
 

compound

Well-Known Member
Baxter said:
Well, The Pinkerton detectives were anything from lawmen to thugs starting in the 1800s. They were traditionaly seen as advisaries to outlaws in the wild west, and if you know your union history they were commonly called in to break up strikes and rallies. I do belive that Pinkerton Securities is a decendent of the classic Pinkerton agency.
Maybe I'm just a geek, but that actually sounds like a great set-up for a speculative historical comic saga. Something along the same lines as Howard Chaykin's American Century, or Judd Winnick's supremely under-rated Caper. It could elaborate on the changing roles of the Pinkertons, over time, and how individual Pinkertons' lives reflect the evolving social circumstances... how the "Pinkerton ideals" mark them as progressives in one era, and rigid traditionalists, in another.

At this point, I really think the Pinkerton-related posts ought to be moved to a separate thread in the Lounge, though, especially if the discussion continues...
 

Hibiki

Really is pretentious, no matter what she says. Do
It's is also an album by Weezer as well as the name of a security company here in the US.

I was just gonna freakin say that. aweee i love me some weezer.
 

Hibiki

Really is pretentious, no matter what she says. Do
I love how you were "just going to say that" TWO YEARS after the post you quote.

i know, i was just waiting for someone to bring that up. I felt like an ******* for posting but i don't care, i needed the laugh.
 

Latest posts

Top