PopCultureShock previews Ultimate X-Men #76, more

Damnit.

I am officially dissapointed in this issue and its not even out yet.

How the hell did wolverine grow taller?

I'm still looking forward to it. I'm half expecting Bishop to come in and tell Wolverine that Cable is some crazy nutter from the future who believes he is Wolverine and is on a mission to kill Xavier.

Could you tell me again why some of you even bother to read the ultimate stories? Wow. The negativity here is oftentimes depressing...

If you say it sucks, I want to hear about what might be an alternative that is an improvement. Just saying it sucks is lazy and lame...

It looks like an interesting take on Days of Future Past (the Uncanny X-men issues where we get a glimpse of the future... and wolverine gets killed in a very similar way to what happened recently in his current wolverine on-going no less...). I'm curious about where this is going and am enjoying the stories. They are still a whole hell of a lot fresher than what's going on in the regular X-men titles...

I do admit that I'm not sold on the idea of Wolverine coming back from the future but it still looks like a fun story with some interesting ramificiations. I'm eager to see where this leads our merry band of mutants...

Last edited:
Could you tell me again why some of you even bother to read the ultimate stories?
To piss you off.
Wow. The negativity here is oftentimes depressing...
Then go someplace else.
If you say it sucks, I want to hear about what might be an alternative that is an improvement. Just saying it sucks is lazy and lame...
Alright here's an alternative. Take an entertaining character with an admittedly ridiculously complex history and streamline said history into a conducive story. Don't throw everything about the character away by turning him into the future version of the most overused character in comics. Did you read that dialogue? Cable is supposed to be a smart character. Wolverine is anything but smart and I can't take anyone seriously who ends every sentence with bub.
It looks like an interesting take on Days of Future Past (the Uncanny X-men issues where we get a glimpse of the future... and wolverine gets killed in a very similar way to what happened recently in his current wolverine on-going no less...). I'm curious about where this is going and am enjoying the stories. They are still a whole hell of a lot fresher than what's going on in the regular X-men titles...
Actually the 616 X-men titles are really good right now.

I do admit that I'm not sold on the idea of Wolverine coming back from the future but it still looks like a fun story with some interesting ramificiations. I'm eager to see where this leads our merry band of mutants...
"Our merry band of mutants"? Do you do solicitations for Marvel or something? Oh and you don't have to end every paragraph with...

Last edited:
Alright here's an alternative. Take an entertaining character with an admittedly ridiculously complex history and streamline said history into a conducive story. Don't throw everything about the character away by turning him into the future version of the most overused character in comics. Did you read that dialogue? Cable is supposed to be a smart character. Wolverine is anything but smart and I can't take anyone seriously who ends every sentence with bub.
Actually the 616 X-men titles are really good right now.

That's actually pretty close to what I was going to say. Thanks for typing it for me, McCheese.

But, for a smidgen of my opinion through my own words;

Living Large said:
Could you tell me again why some of you even bother to read the ultimate stories? Wow. The negativity here is oftentimes depressing...

I read them to see contemporary versions of classic tales. I don't mind some altering of characters (Thor, Green Goblin, Mojo), but to completely change who a character is, like say, Iron Man, Demogoblin or Deadpool? Cable is Nathan Summers, but an Ultimate Cable could have been Nathan Dayspring, eliminating the mess of him being Scott and Madelyn Pryor's son. Now we have a potential mess of him being a future Wolverine, which is a character we honestly don't need to see more of. He looks like Cable and has his name. . .that's it. In my opinion, its a poor way to ultimitize an established and popular character.

EDIT: To add to this, actually, I also read them so I don't have to deal with overwhelming continuity. Time travel, especially when something like this happens, creates a mess of continuity problems and the coming of the dreaded alternate timelines.

Last edited:
For me it looks like an take of Age of Apocalypse and Days of Future Past combined.

Instead of Professor X dieing and creates a horrible future this time he is alive and creates a horrible future.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the revelation that Xavier IS Apocalypse.

Where are the damn time spiders by the way?

If Cable is wolverine, the time spiders should be eating him already.

That was before Millar came up with the Spiders though.

I thought the spiders only ate people that touched their earlier selves?

Like they don't go nuts over every violation of the timeline, just major stuff. Like old wolverine fighitng young wolverine.

Latest posts

Back