Avengers Post-Siege Avengers news

Re: Who should write the New Avengers after Bendis leaves?

I think recently DC has done a much better job of giving their characters distinct personalities then Marvel has.

I think the problem is with the Avengers, is the plot is dull. The Avengers seem to just to fight the Hood and his gang and they are not compelling in the slightest, Bendis got rid of their personalities, including the hood who went from a sympathetic character to a generic crime boss.

So the weak villains make the plot seem pretty weak, but another problem is the fight scenes are bad, which really takes out the energy in this title.

Except that was Hood always wanted to be. He was a super villain fanboy and he looked up to his father who worked under Kingpin. He's still sympathetic too considering he still did it for his wife and Dormmamu gave him his mother back.(though i wonder if that still stands now).

I completely agree. Actually this is the case with every book he's ever written, not just Avengers. He's terrible at giving differing "voices" in his characters, even on his great books (Alias and Daredevil, namely).

But for all its faults, it's been entertaining in a mindless fun kind of way.

I think he did a great job in differing voices in Alias and Daredevil.

Now I can see your statement having major validity with Avengers. Not all the Avengers need to be "quippy".

I think the problem is with the Avengers, is the plot is dull. The Avengers seem to just to fight the Hood and his gang and they are not compelling in the slightest, Bendis got rid of their personalities, including the hood who went from a sympathetic character to a generic crime boss.

So the weak villains make the plot seem pretty weak, but another problem is the fight scenes are bad, which really takes out the energy in this title.

So faulting Bendis for trying to take a C-rate villain and make him a major threat rather than have them fight Galactus or Loki or Dr.Doom again? I think he did alright with Hood. Instead of some kinda grand "rule the world or destroy the cosmos" scheme...he stayed true to the general character and portrayed The Hood for just what he is.....a lowly thug who dreams of becoming the new Kingpin. Hood gets some powerful gear and sets out to do just that...become a crime boss. And has some moderate success too!

If anything I commend Bendis for stick with this and having the Hood act like "a hood". Normal supervillains battle a hero and when they lose, they go home and plot to take over the world again. Hood loses and he retreats...grabs some more goons and attacks you in your home while you sleep. Normal villains have huge speeches and want to defeat their enemies in a certain matter. Hood doesn't care....a bullet from a .45 will win the game just the same. He comes at the Avengers like an actual gangster.

And now, Bendis tries to develop the character even more by not only inserting Hood into the standard Avengers-level villains....but a threat on Mavel's mystic-level too. I think Bendis has done a pretty decent job with Hood.

As far as fight scenes being bad....I have no idea what you're talking about. Bad how? Like as in dull? Cluttered to the point of confusion?

I think recently DC has done a much better job of giving their characters distinct personalities then Marvel has.

that's b/c Geoff Johns is writing the entire DC line and Bendis is writing almost the entire Marvel line (or at least it seems that way sometimes). I generally really like Bendis, but I have to admit every character is written as either Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, or Aunt May.

Well, and then there's the villain voices: scheming businessman/crime boss, psychotic villain, bumbling thug, and Flash Thompson.

Here's Marvel's announcement of the same.

Why in the world would they have a New Avengers Finale if they were just relaunching the title?

Oh Marvel :roll:

Because it's a BOLD NEW DIRECTION!

(with the same writer, who's only capable of writing in a single style)

I am finding it so hard to care about the Avengers.

Bendis/Immonen/Luke Cage/New Avengers.

I'm already reading this?

All snark aside, I'd guess the New Avengers gets a decent sized roster change at least, what with Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Captain America, Clint Barton, and Wolverine leaving for the other Avengers.

Last edited:

Seeing as the 3 Avengers title a month has been selling pretty well, i'm not surprise they kept it.

I'm just Glad Cage is still in on the team.

Seeing as the 3 Avengers title a month has been selling pretty well, i'm not surprise they kept it.

I'm just Glad Cage is still in on the team.

There's also one more book awaiting announcement and the rumor seems to be that it's going to be Christos Gage's Avengers Academy.

There's also one more book awaiting announcement and the rumor seems to be that it's going to be Christos Gage's Avengers Academy.

That's the one that ment to replace the initiative, right?

That's the one that ment to replace the initiative, right?

Yessir.

It's kind of amusing that this shift in direction so closely resembles the lineup before this "Heroic Age". New Avengers has the same creative team, same name, and same lead. Avengers Academy has the same writer and sounds like it will be a quite similar book. Avengers sounds quite similar to Bendis' earlier Mighty Avengers and at least shares a lot in common with Dark Avengers in that it's just the marquis book with headline characters fighting big event-level threats. Secret Avengers is the only cipher of the bunch.

Because it's a BOLD NEW DIRECTION!

(with the same writer, who's only capable of writing in a single style)

Post of the Day.

All snark aside, I'd guess the New Avengers gets a decent sized roster change at least, what with Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Captain America, Clint Barton, and Wolverine leaving for the other Avengers.

So "New Avengers" is continuing, and there's a new "Avengers" book starting up that's more like the old Avengers, even though it's a new title and is starting with a new number one.

The "New Avengers" and the new old "Avengers"

It sounds like an update of Avengers/Avengers West Coast.

So we've got Luke Cage and Spider-Man.

Sounds like New Avengers are the street team and the regular Avengers are the government sponsored, loved-by-the-public good guys. Interesting. I guess. At least that makes more sense than the New/Mighty Avengers.

Actually it sounds like what Bendis was doing in USM with Spider-Man, Daredevil, Moon Knight, etc.

Sounds like New Avengers are the street team and the regular Avengers are the government sponsored, loved-by-the-public good guys. Interesting. I guess. At least that makes more sense than the New/Mighty Avengers.

Eh? It sounds exactly like the difference between New vs. Mighty Avengers, right after Civil War.

Except now Spidey's on both teams.

Latest posts

Back