Powerful but stupid villains

The Overlord

It occurs to me there a lot of villains who are powerful villains who keep on losing because they are really stupid (Sandman, Electro, Rhino, Absorbing Man, etc.)

It occurs to me, that perhaps some minor brainiac villain (maybe the wizard, give him something to do besides form more Frightful Fours) can create a business where he gives advice to powerful, but stupid villains in exchange for favors.

But the nature/origin of those characters are to be petty, ignorant thugs who happened upon powers.

Just because I can now manipulate my body like sand doesn't mean I'm any smarter. And I would assume that they're not that bright and can't get a decent paying job due to the fact that they've turned to a life of petty crime.

So it's not really their fault that they're thwarted time and time again by brilliant tacticians, scientists and demi-gods.

But the idea you posed, that a villain with the higher mental capacity would/could exchange his brilliance for these small-time players is pretty feasible. Although I doubt it would be for favors as you put. Instead probably a set percentage of the take.

But the nature/origin of those characters are to be petty, ignorant thugs who happened upon powers.

Just because I can now manipulate my body like sand doesn't mean I'm any smarter. And I would assume that they're not that bright and can't get a decent paying job due to the fact that they've turned to a life of petty crime.

So it's not really their fault that they're thwarted time and time again by brilliant tacticians, scientists and demi-gods.

But the idea you posed, that a villain with the higher mental capacity would/could exchange his brilliance for these small-time players is pretty feasible. Although I doubt it would be for favors as you put. Instead probably a set percentage of the take.

I know that and makes sense from a story perspective (gives a reason why Spidey beats Electro all the time.)

I just think it would interesting if these stupid villains became more dangerous if someone who wasn't a total moron gave them some advice. it make those characters some what more dangerous for an arc.

I said favors, because not all brainiac villains are interested in money, it depends on the brainiac villain in question (Wizard is more concerned with his ego and was already rich before becomming a villain.) Besides getting a cut and favors could work as well. Perhaps the Answer could fit this bill, it would fit his MO. It could make for an interesting Spider-Man arc.

Last edited:
I know that and makes sense from a story perspective (gives a reason why Spidey beats Electro all the time.)

I just think it would interesting if these stupid villains became more dangerous if someone who wasn't a total moron gave them some advice. it make those characters some what more dangerous for an arc.

I suppose. But at what point does the partnership end and the brains and hired gun/muscle relationship come to play? Why would a genius play mental lackey to some random super-powered thug?

I suppose. But at what point does the partnership end and the brains and hired gun/muscle relationship come to play? Why would a genius play mental lackey to some random super-powered thug?

Its like consulting service for villains, some minor brainiac villain who hasn't been used to good effect in quite well (Answer, Wizard, etc) contacts a bunch of stupid but powerful villains and offers them a deal in exchange for a cut of their takes and possibely some favors down the road, they get lessons on how to use their powers more effective and a ear piece set up, so he can give advice while they are comitting crimes.

The genius would "mental lackey" becaue it would an easy way to make money and he can some super powered goons indebted to him for a later scheme. He gets all of the rewards and none of the risk involved.

It would an inverse of the usual brainiac/dumb thug relationship, here the dumb thugs are hiring a braniac to help them out, instead of vice versa.

Last edited:
I see what you're saying, but IMO it doesn't really make sense.

It's just not logical.

Plus, the more I think about it---it just seems like an off-shoot idea of what the Hood did in New Avengers.

I see what you're saying, but IMO it doesn't really make sense.

It's just not logical.

Plus, the more I think about it---it just seems like an off-shoot idea of what the Hood did in New Avengers.

Hood wasn't that bright either, he didn't make uses of lot of the villains when fighting the Avengers, he isn't much of tactican. At least half the villains in seige on strange's place weren't used well, Purple Man mind controls people, but hood just give him some guns and let him charge in with the rest of the bricks.

As for it being illogical, that's debatable, the thing is wouldn't these stupid villains get tired of losing all the time and try and change their sitution, just because their stupid doesn't mean their masochists.

Heck people in real life career coachs and life coachs, etc. Morons line up for the latest self help book and pay tons of money so other people can run their lives for him. Are telling me a smart criminal wouldn't think of something similar?

Last edited:
I completely disagree with Doom. Supervillain Consultant sounds like an awesome idea for an arc. It wouldn't work at all in a super serious book, but a Spider-Man arc where his villains are suddenly pulling jobs and fighting in ways that they could never have thought of on their own. That's a really interesting idea for a story.

Good one, Overlord.

I agree.

I tend to think of them as dumb people who happen to be gifted. Sean Connery may be a moron, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good actor. Similarly, there are lots of great musicians and athletes who can't sign a non-screwing endorsement contract or record deal to save their life.

It occurs to me there a lot of villains who are powerful villains who keep on losing because they are really stupid (Sandman, Electro, Rhino, Absorbing Man, etc.)

It occurs to me, that perhaps some minor brainiac villain (maybe the wizard, give him something to do besides form more Frightful Fours) can create a business where he gives advice to powerful, but stupid villains in exchange for favors.

...sorta a pyramid scheme with a "self help" villain?

I love it!

Latest posts

Back