Pull lists?

Matthew

Can somebody explain what a pull (or is it hold?) list works and how I would go about getting one at my local comic book shop.

Any rules I should be wary of?

Any help is appreciated greatly!

I guess I should clarify. I only just got back into comics about a month or so ago. Back when I used to read I lived 5 minutes away from my local comic book shop and could just waltz in any time and buy what I want off the shelf.

Now I live further away from one and have a more hectice schedule. i can't go in every month. I've heard talk of these "pull/hold" lists and this seems to be what I need, i just need to know what they are, how to get one, and if there are rules/politics I should look out for.

you have to talk to your comic shop, but a 'pull' list is a list of all the comics that you read and pick up. what some do is have box with all your titles that you want set aside for you. so all you have to do is go in and pay for it.

The difference between waltzing in and picking up what you want and having a pull list is that by having a pull list you are guaranteeing yourself the books you want. Without it, you are just hoping that the shop has the books you want. A pull list lets the shop owner know what you want so that he can make sure to save you the books you want out of his weekly delivery.

As for rules - it depends on the shop. Most shops sell memberships which give you a certain percentage off items in exchange for a yearly fee. At my local shop it's $5/year and that gets me 10% off new books (I think). But I'm sure if you just wanted to reserve certain books that a shop would do that for you.

Matthew said:
How long will most shops usually hold a book for you?

Usually until you pick it up.

When you add a book to a pull list you are essentially reserving it and promising to pay for it. As long as they have no reason to believe you will stiff them they usually hold on to them as long as needed. Every shop and shop owner is different though; you really should ask.

UltimateE said:
As for rules - it depends on the shop. Most shops sell memberships which give you a certain percentage off items in exchange for a yearly fee. At my local shop it's $5/year and that gets me 10% off new books (I think). But I'm sure if you just wanted to reserve certain books that a shop would do that for you.
Hehe.

I have a 'file' with my shop that I've had for about 4 years now, and it cost me nothing. But I have a friend from another city who told me to have a box with the store he goes to costs you $10, but dont know for what amount of time, if any.

Yeah the whole paying for a pull list sounds kinda weird to me. I mean I have a pretty decent pull list and it costs me nothing....plus it takes 10% off the books I buy from them......on top of the 15% military discount the shop does.

Hmmmmmm....weird. Even still, if I had to pay for one I'd still do it just to make sure I got what I wanted.

Here's the best way to have what you want.

First is to definetly make sure you have your own 'file' (be it whatever it is the store does; box, folder, etc.). Than look through the Previews Book, and let the store know everything you want from the book, which are books coming out 2 months after the month listed on the cover (i.e. cover saying February, comics and what not come out April). The Previews books contain an order form, so you can use that, too, if you want.

Victor Von Doom said:
Yeah the whole paying for a pull list sounds kinda weird to me. I mean I have a pretty decent pull list and it costs me nothing....plus it takes 10% off the books I buy from them......on top of the 15% military discount the shop does.

Hmmmmmm....weird. Even still, if I had to pay for one I'd still do it just to make sure I got what I wanted.

I'd imagine the shops that charge for memberships do so to make sure they are getting people who are committed to buying what they order. I personally wouldn't do it for free if I ran a shop - anyone can come in and order tons of comics and never show up to buy them, and with no returns the shop owner is screwed.

UltimateE said:
I'd imagine the shops that charge for memberships do so to make sure they are getting people who are committed to buying what they order. I personally wouldn't do it for free if I ran a shop - anyone can come in and order tons of comics and never show up to buy them, and with no returns the shop owner is screwed.
When cases like that, my comic shop guy just sells it to someone else.

icemastertron said:
When cases like that, my comic shop guy just sells it to someone else.

Well, yeah, but in order to sell it to someone else, someone else has to want it.

icemastertron said:
There's always someone who wants it. :p

If that were true there would be no such thing as back issues.

Latest posts

Back