Punisher: Born

Zombipanda

My Boom-Boom's mostly gay
Holy ****. So I've liked Garth Ennis since Preacher. I love the Boys. And I dig the Hell out of his Punisher Max series.

And then I picked up Punisher: Born, which is like an origin story..... and nothing he's done in the Punisher Max series can even begin to touch this. It's brutal and beautiful and proof that Ennis really is one of the five very best comic book writers around. He gets a lot of **** for exploiting violence and sex, but the guys got serious, SERIOUS chops. Has anyone else read this?

Has anyone else read this?

Only like once a month. But to be fair---I read all my Punisher MAX trades every month.

This seriously is the DEFINITIVE Frank Castle origin. This book rocks on so many different levels. From Frank's struggle with his inner demon....to the characterization of his addiction to war....to the tale of the young Private who knows this isn't for him....all of it.

If you like this....then you definitely need to read "From First To Last". It's collection of the Punisher MAX one-shots of "The Cell", "The End" and "Tyger". You think "Born" is beautiful.......NOTHING is more beautiful than "Tyger". Nothing.

Only like once a month. But to be fair---I read all my Punisher MAX trades every month.

This seriously is the DEFINITIVE Frank Castle origin. This book rocks on so many different levels. From Frank's struggle with his inner demon....to the characterization of his addiction to war....to the tale of the young Private who knows this isn't for him....all of it.

If you like this....then you definitely need to read "From First To Last". It's collection of the Punisher MAX one-shots of "The Cell", "The End" and "Tyger". You think "Born" is beautiful.......NOTHING is more beautiful than "Tyger". Nothing.

I'll have to check that out. I've read Punisher MAX up through The Slavers and plan on catching up with the couple of arcs that have run since then, but I haven't had a chance to pick up any of the one-shots.

What I dug most about Born was how he changed the very nature of Castle's character. Before Ennis, the character was just a man driven to the brink of sanity by a cruel stroke of fate. In Born, he seeks out destruction. He wants to become a living weapon, and his family is just another casualty in his war against injustice.

It's poetry. ****ing amazing.

I've bought the last issue of this twice, in quarter bins (where I always end up with doubles somehow), but I've yet to read the whole series. Ennis is usually pretty good with war stories and even though they're incredibly violent he tends to rein in most of his other bad habits.

As much as I love Preacher and Hitman, I still think my favorites Ennis story might be his Tangled Web stuff, where he really toned it down and wrote a great Spider-Man. Plus, it had awesome McRea art, completely different from his Hitman work.

Born is incredible. The scene at the beginning of the last issue with the lines about "The Beast" and the shot of the soldier moving his hands away from his face, cutting to that huge two page spread.

"Today is the day we feed the Beast."

Great stuff.

And Zombipanda, you need to read The Tyger. If you thought Born was poetic, you'll love it. Essentially the story goes back even further and we see how a ten year old Frank Castle first learned that the world is filled with monsters, and why we will always need them.

Moony once made a brillant point about Castle not having a definitive origin. He's a character built of a lifetime of experiences. From the Tyger to Born to his family and on.

Ennis has even said himself that The Punisher is the character that he was born to write.

when i dunno what to buy i always buy punisher max, its amazing

Latest posts

Back