Punisher: War Zone (Spoilers)

Re: Punisher 2

I wish they stick as low budget as possible, it really helped that last film. Action movies today just seem to lose touch with the basics
This is probably a whole nother ball of discussion, but I think most Hollywood movies are overpriced now.

It cost $110 million to make Fantastic Four and it felt like they never used their powers. $200 million for Superman Returns and they couldn't spend the money to send someone flying across the room from a super punch. People say it's inflation, but then why is it still possible to make a science fiction film with ten elaborate sets, detailed costumes and a freaking chase scene that DOESN'T use blue screen for $40 million? (That's Serenity by the way.)

My suspicion is that in general, the talents of Hollywood are asking for bigger checks than they deserve, or than the box office receipts can justify. And while box office receipts do grow, they're not growing as fast as the budgets --- hence why there seems to be more 'box-office bombs' these days than there were back in the 90s. Hong Kong and Korea make films on budgets that Hollywood uses to fund the hors d'oeuvres at the commissary and put the green M&Ms in the trailers.

The result? Films that cost a lot, but don't look like the money went anywhere. And I'm not talking about 'intelligence' or 'quality'. I'm talking about raw production aesthetics and all that. I'm just wondering why a movie can be so visually unengaging yet cost so much. Just count how many people were involved in The Lord of the Rings and divide that 282 million dollar budget by that number, and you've got a film that's definitely more economical than Superman Returns which looked like a cat's turd.

Now I'm not saying we subject production staffs to slave wages, I'm just saying that Hollywood throws around money carelessly and doesn't really ask questions about the diminishing returns that occur between budget and box office receipts, or about whether the salaries of its talent (both the actors and the production staff) are really justified.

This is probably a whole nother ball of discussion, but I think most Hollywood movies are overpriced now.

It cost $110 million to make Fantastic Four and it felt like they never used their powers. $200 million for Superman Returns and they couldn't spend the money to send someone flying across the room from a super punch. People say it's inflation, but then why is it still possible to make a science fiction film with ten elaborate sets, detailed costumes and a freaking chase scene that DOESN'T use blue screen for $40 million? (That's Serenity by the way.)

My suspicion is that in general, the talents of Hollywood are asking for bigger checks than they deserve, or than the box office receipts can justify. And while box office receipts do grow, they're not growing as fast as the budgets --- hence why there seems to be more 'box-office bombs' these days than there were back in the 90s. Hong Kong and Korea make films on budgets that Hollywood uses to fund the hors d'oeuvres at the commissary and put the green M&Ms in the trailers.

The result? Films that cost a lot, but don't look like the money went anywhere. And I'm not talking about 'intelligence' or 'quality'. I'm talking about raw production aesthetics and all that. I'm just wondering why a movie can be so visually unengaging yet cost so much. Just count how many people were involved in The Lord of the Rings and divide that 282 million dollar budget by that number, and you've got a film that's definitely more economical than Superman Returns which looked like a cat's turd.

Now I'm not saying we subject production staffs to slave wages, I'm just saying that Hollywood throws around money carelessly and doesn't really ask questions about the diminishing returns that occur between budget and box office receipts, or about whether the salaries of its talent (both the actors and the production staff) are really justified.

I dont mind movies like Superman Returns or F4 getting a big budget, cause even if they dont use their powers to its fullest ability it still should look good. But on something like Punisher, you dont need huge cgi effect, or gigantic explosions. I feel a lot of action movie are too unrealistic cause directors go over board with the stunts. Punisher kept it simple and its actions were at least plausible and that adds so much more than a random big explosion.

I dont mind movies like Superman Returns or F4 getting a big budget, cause even if they dont use their powers to its fullest ability it still should look good. But on something like Punisher, you dont need huge cgi effect, or gigantic explosions. I feel a lot of action movie are too unrealistic cause directors go over board with the stunts. Punisher kept it simple and its actions were at least plausible and that adds so much more than a random big explosion.
No you misunderstand.

I'm saying that Punisher looks aesthetically better on a dollar-to-good-looks ratio than Fantastic Four or Superman Returns.

I watch those movies and I think, where the **** did all the money go? Fantastic Four was eight times the budget of Punisher and it still looked like crap.

Last edited:

Well.....Thoams Jane has dropped out of Punisher 2.

IGN Article

May 16, 2007 - Thomas Jane has parted ways with The Punisher 2. The star said he is "broken up" about ankling the sequel to the 2004 actioner based on the Marvel comic.

In a note to Ain't It Cool News, Jane wrote, "I'm writing to tell you that I regretfully and painfully had to pull out of P2. I can't tell you how completely broken up I am about it."

Jane recounted the two years of rigorous training, strict dieting and exhaustive research he maintained in order to work on the film. "Punisher fans are already fighting an uphill battle as it is. And I've always felt a responsibility to fight that fight for them and with them so that Frank Castle gets the treatment he deserves."

Jane added, "What I won't do is spend months of my life sweating over a movie that I just don't believe in. I've always loved the Marvel guys, and wish them well."

No word yet on what Marvel wanted Punisher 2 to be that made Jane lose faith in it or who might be succeeding him in the role of Frank Castle should the sequel actually move forward.

Hmm.....with this news....coupled with the dragged out plans of the film---I'd say the possibility of this getting made is about slim to none.

But it does give me an idea for a new Dreamcasting project should I win the current Y round. :idea:

yeah i read this bit of news before work today and was gutted

this was the letter to Quint from Jane

Quint,

I'm writing to tell you that I regretfully and painfully had to pull out of P2. I can't tell you how completely broken up I am about it. After busting my *** at the gym four days a week for almost two years, watching every character driven action pic that any fan would ask me to watch while I was standing in line buying egg whites and Tuna fish (Leon the Professional, Oldboy, The Seven-Ups (GREAT flick), Point Blank, Escape from NY, The Driver, Magnum Force, The Mechanic, The Great Silence, Sexy Beast, Nighthawks, Cry Vengeance (check it out), Road Warrior, Man on Fire, Outlaw Josey Wales, Rocky (think about it), Serpico, etc etc etc.) after countless Saturday nights making notes and drinking soda water and munching on seaweed sticks while my daughter slept on my lap to the sound of automatic gunfire, (now she can't sleep without it. I had to make a tape of automatic gunfire to play in her room at night) after hauling myself to any 'Guns! Knifes! Ammo!' show in any small town that I found myself in shooting Killshot or The Mist or Mutant Chronicles, after torn ligaments, screwed up rotator cuffs, thousands of $$$ on ridiculously huge vitamins, overly long conversations with frighteningly tall men about The Fastest Way To Kill Someone With Your Bare Hands, and after a dude refused to sell me a Fatburger at 2am on Santa Monica Blvd, I am, sadly – no, make that heartbrokenly – @#$% it - just rip out the heart and stomp it into the pavement a couple of times – pulling out. Punisher fans are already fighting an uphill battle as it is. And I've always felt a responsibility to fight that fight for them and with them so that Frank Castle gets the treatment he deserves.

also from a pretty reliable source Jane is apparently signed up for 3 movies but i will try to see if i can get that confirmed

So why did he quit?

Probably got fed up with the bull****. Plus with other projects he's working on....he can only devote so much of his time to this right now.

Should Marvel get off their *** and nail this stuff down....I'm sure he'd be up reprising the role.

Probably got fed up with the bull****. Plus with other projects he's working on....he can only devote so much of his time to this right now.

Should Marvel get off their *** and nail this stuff down....I'm sure he'd be up reprising the role.

He has the perfect voice for the Punisher. I can't imagine anyone else.

Especially after the game.

just give it time and the rights will revert back to marvel because word is LGF really dont care about this thing and the script they are putting out is scaring potential directors away rather than exciting them.

just give it time and the rights will revert back to marvel because word is LGF really dont care about this thing and the script they are putting out is scaring potential directors away rather than exciting them.

Yeah this news pissed me off cause now we have to wait a while for a sequel, I seriously think Jane should have creative control, he was the most genually excited person to play a superhero I've ever seen (Downey being the second) I know he would have pushed to make the best movie possible.

Today Freeze Dried Movies learned exclusively that John Dahl is in major talks to helm the sequel to the 2004 pic, which was one of Artisan's last features before being acquired by Lionsgate. In addition, the script in place now does in fact feature Jigsaw as the killer.

I was told today when I was at the comic shop that the guy had heard talks about Jane walking off the set.

Oh boy.

I was told today when I was at the comic shop that the guy had heard talks about Jane walking off the set.

Oh boy.

Yeah I remember reading on SHH that he had dropped out because he didn't like the way it was going.

:shock:

Wow.

I haven't seen the first film and I didn't know next to anything about Thomas Jane, but he seems like one passionate mother****er. And I mean that in the most positive way. Fair play to the guy.

its no wonder Thomas Jane wants nothing to do with punisher 2:

JOE PASQUALE is hot property in Hollywood. Er, yes, you did read that correctly.

The squeaky-voiced comedian has been busy networking with movie bigwigs at the Cannes Film Festival.

The I'm A Celeb champ had dinner with the makers of The Punisher 2.

seriously you guys if you were british you would know that pasquale is not good.....NOT GOOD news

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2007240288,00.html

Last edited:

Could this be the next Frank Castle??

RAY STEVENSON
stevenson04.jpg

Latinoreview.com seems to think so...

read more here: http://latinoreview.com/news.php?id=2452

That guy looks good enough to play the Punisher. I didn't really like the first movie (well, not technically the first movie, I never saw the 1989 one with Dolph Lundgren). I didn't like how they killed his ENTIRE family, but I guess it kind of made Frank's killing of Howard Saint's ENTIRE family that much more awesome. Though, in the comics, it wasn't really about revenge against a single person. They obviously never specified who killed Frank's family in the comics (unless they retconned his history after the movie came out), and the Punisher just went straight to killing other criminals.

Last edited:

Could this be the next Frank Castle??

RAY STEVENSON
stevenson04.jpg

Latinoreview.com seems to think so...

read more here: http://latinoreview.com/news.php?id=2452

This pisses me off. Jane is perfect for the role and he was even extremely enthusiastic to play him. I had a great feeling as long as he's involved Frank Castle would be absolutely great. I have a feeling the studio is going to **** this up like studios always do.

Latest posts

Back