Random Timeline/Chronology - The View Askew Universe (Kevin Smith movies) REBOOT

1. Mallrats and Dogma exist as in-universe movies in the View Askewniverse. Why not Clerks? Heck, Clerks: The Animated Series implies that both Clerks and an animated series exist, although that series is very meta and confusing.

2. I didn't see them state that they were making a Scream movie in the actual film. Let's say they were, the Woodsboro Murders are public domain. Why can't there be Scream and Stab movies in the Scream universe?

3. You say not to take it seriously, but Jay literally called him "Silent Bob" AND they appear on the credits as Silent Bob/Kevin Smith and Jay/Jason Mewes, meaning that they are 100% the same characters. Whether they are the same versions from their films is the question, but I don't really get any indication otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, I see View Anskew, Scream, Zack and Miri and True North as separate film series. Logically they should occur in the same universe, but they don't crossover. It does mean that the victims in Scream would go to a Heaven with a God that looks like Alanis Morissette though, lol. Don't overthink it.
I just see it being a fun nod given both properties were Miramax. I don't think it was meant to place the movies in the same universe. I'm choosing to not overthink it by believing they're separate universes and that sometimes an Easter egg is just an Easter egg.

An easter egg to me is a fun nod, like dialogue about some random movie or an item from something else.

Characters crossing over is harder to explain because there's more to it. The people behind the movie thought about them as Jay and Silent Bob. They are 100% Jay and Silent Bob. The dialogue calls them this and the credits call them this.

If it was just Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes playing similar characters, then that's the kind of easter egg that I'd get. It's the fact they're the exact same characters that makes it harder to excuse. "Logically" they should be the same. Maybe they aren't. I just don't get that implication from Scream 3 when they go out of their way to make it clear it's the same characters.

An easter egg to me is a fun nod, like dialogue about some random movie or an item from something else.

Characters crossing over is harder to explain because there's more to it. The people behind the movie thought about them as Jay and Silent Bob. They are 100% Jay and Silent Bob. The dialogue calls them this and the credits call them this.

If it was just Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes playing similar characters, then that's the kind of easter egg that I'd get. It's the fact they're the exact same characters that makes it harder to excuse. "Logically" they should be the same. Maybe they aren't. I just don't get that implication from Scream 3 when they go out of their way to make it clear it's the same characters.
I'm not arguing they weren't intended to be Jay and Silent Bob. The T-1000 appears in Wayne's World holding up a picture of John Connor and that doesn't make me believe Wayne's World is in the Terminator timeline.

Given Wes's cameo in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, I think it's just something fun the directors did with each other given both films were Miramax, if you want to treat it as the same universe, that's fine. I just don't think it was meant to be taken seriously.

Wayne's World exists in a universe where there's apparently self-mending jeans and dinosaurs, as seen in the second film. It's just a comedy where random stupid stuff happens, while Scream is a fairly serious film series throwing aside the meta humour. The View Askew series is actually interesting because they're mostly comedies set in a realistic world, although it can get very silly and meta in some stories such as Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Kevin Smith actually endorsed Zack and Miri and True North as canon too, and they're not part of the View Askewniverse series.

Also, nothing in that scene tells us he's playing the same character except maybe the credits and even if he was, then Terminator is a time travel franchise where there's a ridiculous amount of offshoot realities. In other words, Wayne's World doesn't have to be part of any Terminator timeline in order for that to be the T-1000. That was also Robby Koch in the picture, so technically not John Connor.

I'd say it's a toss-up. I see it as more of a Detective Clarkin in Annabelle/Wolves at the Door or Father Parez in Annabelle/The Curse of La Llorona (TCoLL is technically not an instalment of The Conjuring even though it's canon), rather than the T-1000 in Wayne's World or Last Action Hero.

Schrödinger's canon. :p

Wayne's World exists in a universe where there's apparently self-mending jeans and dinosaurs, as seen in the second film. It's just a comedy where random stupid stuff happens, while Scream is a fairly serious film series throwing aside the meta humour. The View Askew series is actually interesting because they're mostly comedies set in a realistic world, although it can get very silly and meta in some stories such as Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Kevin Smith actually endorsed Zack and Miri and True North as canon too, and they're not part of the View Askewniverse series.

Also, nothing in that scene tells us he's playing the same character except maybe the credits and even if he was, then Terminator is a time travel franchise where there's a ridiculous amount of offshoot realities. In other words, Wayne's World doesn't have to be part of any Terminator timeline in order for that to be the T-1000. That was also Robby Koch in the picture, so technically not John Connor.

I'd say it's a toss-up. I see it as more of a Detective Clarkin in Annabelle/Wolves at the Door or Father Parez in Annabelle/The Curse of La Llorona (TCoLL is technically not an instalment of The Conjuring even though it's canon), rather than the T-1000 in Wayne's World or Last Action Hero.

Schrödinger's canon. :p
See Zach And Miri I understand given Smith also directed it (Isn't Justin Long playing the same character in Jay and Silent Bob Reboot too?). I just personally dont'see the Scream universe as a part of the View Askew universe simply because characters make a small insignificant cameo done for a gag. I think it simply came down to both being Miramax properties with Craven giving them a cameo in Scream 3 and them returning the favor by giving him a cameo in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

I just don't think they put any thought into it being a confirmation or ramifications of it saying they're the same universe. The characters of Jay and Silent Bob can exist in the Scream universe, without it meaning it's a shared universe with the View Askew films.

Latest posts

Back