Rate the 100 issue run of Bendis/Bagley's Ult. Spider-Man

How do you rate the 100 issue run of USM (Bendis/Bagley)?

• Total voters
Re: Rate the 100 issue run of Bends/Bagley's USM

4 out of 5 for me. It would have got a five if Bags would have stayed in top notch form like in the early issues. I still like lazy:D Bagley art more than most other artists though. No complaints on the story except the Silver Sable arc. Yeah I like ultimate Deadpool. So what.

Being generous and giving it a 2.

I wanted to make sure that the 3 I was going to give it was justified but then I realized that there were actually only like 3 or 4 arcs I didn't like or just felt mediocre about.

I gave it a 4 because I wanted to give it a 3.5 It's not a bad run but I think it's taking a nosedive that it will recover from.

I give it a solid 3. They were really onto something in the beginning....... but then it just seems that Bendis got bored and the arcs became "less ultimate".

He was doing fine until the end of "Venom". That's when he started falling. Arcs like "Superstars", "Carngae", "Hollywood", "Hobgoblin" didn't help the fall either.

Aside from Ultimate Six (which was actually REALLY good)....he's been falling.

Maybe if he'd kept the momentum going and didn't waste such good ideas or possibilities I'd give it a 4.

I gave it a 3. It started off really good and then kind of sputtered out. I tried not to let the end spoil the 100 issues as a whole for this poll, but I couldn't give it a 4.

The problem is that the low points are REALLY low. Carnage and Deadpool were stinkers on a cosmic level.

That really throws things off when you think about the run as a whole, but there are plenty of good and a few great points. A solid 3.5, so I gave it a 4.

Fanboys be damned! :p

I still stick by my mediocre 3. It's been 100 issues and the book has gone stale. But I will give credit where it's due---I've been going back and reread the book to try and pick out clues as to where the Clone Saga is going---and I've noticed that Bagley really can draw human emotion like nobody's business.

That's not to say that he's this huge great artist or anything like that. There are PLENTY of other artists out there who are WAY better. It's just that most artists don't display emotion. Their character looks the exact same sad as they do angry. The only difference is that they draw a tear. This goes for a bunch of other emotions too. But Bagley captures the facial expressions great. When MJ is heartbroken---you can tell. When Peter is genuinely scared---you know. Words aren't needed. You can just look at the face and tell how he/she's supposed to feel.

Too bad he's not as consistent with everything else.

The first 60 or so were a 5. The next 40 were a 3. Call it a compromise and give the whole run a 4. :wink:

Even though it has had some bad arcs, I just loved the early stuff so much more, Venom and Public securit arcs were just awesome, so I gave it a 4.

after re-reading the whole thing, i even liked carnage, blockbuster, and yes even the bit where peter and logan switched bodys was cool, that was only when i read the whole thing at once. on the single issue side, there were LOTS of stuff i hated, LOTS.

so it gets a 5

I think because of how many ups and downs it has had, Ultimate Fantastic Four is still the least coherent Ultimate series... It's getting a hell of a lot better now, and I think Carey's going to take the book in good directions, but it still doesn't have the same punch as a good USP comic.

I always read Ultimate Spidey first on my pile because every month I hope it gets better, and recently its been picking up again (I really liked 100, and am digging how different from 616 Bendis is taking this... Especially bringing the CIA into matters).

People can point to continuity inconsistencies, weak writing at points, poor characterization at others, but its still one of the better books on the comic book racks today... And now that DC's golden streak is running off, and Marvel's about to peak and descend again with all this Civil War stuff, the only books that I know I won't be dropping are the Ultimate Comics, and especially Ultimate Spider-Man.

With Millar leaving Ultimates, an uneasy story-quality on Ultimate X-Men, and a new storyline beginning in Ultimate Fantastic Four, Ultimate Spidey is still going to be on my pull list in six months because Bendis has made me care more about Peter Parker than any other Ultimate Character. That's the strength of a good Bendis Book, and that's why I'm not giving up any time soon.

I revise my answer to 4.5 upon consideration. Its not perfect. But its still a damn good comic.

I think because of how many ups and downs it has had, Ultimate Fantastic Four is still the least coherent Ultimate series... It's getting a hell of a lot better now, and I think Carey's going to take the book in good directions, but it still doesn't have the same punch as a good USP comic.

I always read Ultimate Spidey first on my pile because every month I hope it gets better, and recently its been picking up again (I really liked 100, and am digging how different from 616 Bendis is taking this... Especially bringing the CIA into matters).

People can point to continuity inconsistencies, weak writing at points, poor characterization at others, but its still one of the better books on the comic book racks today... And now that DC's golden streak is running off, and Marvel's about to peak and descend again with all this Civil War stuff, the only books that I know I won't be dropping are the Ultimate Comics, and especially Ultimate Spider-Man.

With Millar leaving Ultimates, an uneasy story-quality on Ultimate X-Men, and a new storyline beginning in Ultimate Fantastic Four, Ultimate Spidey is still going to be on my pull list in six months because Bendis has made me care more about Peter Parker than any other Ultimate Character. That's the strength of a good Bendis Book, and that's why I'm not giving up any time soon.

I revise my answer to 4.5 upon consideration. Its not perfect. But its still a damn good comic.

Very nice.

This has been a very strong title... With few exceptions. There was a bit of a rut that Bendis has certainly passed now - the Clone Saga is one of the strongest arcs that we've seen on this title so far. Here is to more to come!

Latest posts

Back