Rate the UFF Trades

fenway

What do you think?

Volume 1 - Fantastic - 8/10. A nice re-imaging of the classic
Volume 2 - Doom - 6/10. I actually liked the version of dDoom, but the story meandered. Not the vehicle for his 'inreo' in this universe.
Volume 3 - N-Zone - 5/10. TOO long for the story that was told.
Volume 4 - Inhuman - 8/10. The art suited. Jae Lee is GREAT in small doses. Again, unlike most, I liked the story. Rhona was creepy!
Volume 5 - Crossover - 9/10. Awesome! Great fun!!! Nice art, entertaining stories!
Volume 6 - Frightful - 10/10 - SUPERB! Millar/Land run was my favourite! Ultimate Doom, in every sense of BOTH words! Zombies were spectacular
Volume 7 - God War - 9/10 - A change of pace/team, the way it SHOULD be. Ferry's art is suited for 'space' tales in UFF
Volume 8 - Diablo - 6/10 - Really lost the recent momentum. Poorly written 'bad guy', inconsequential story

(Picking up again with Surfer!!)

Chime in! Rate the Eight!

god war
doom
the fantastic
crossover
inhuman
n-zone
frightful
diablo

no working shift key so you have to do with no caps.

frightful - Awesome. True Millar epicness
crossover - The birth of the Marvel Zombies, and worth it just for the "Do you ever get the feeling you've been had?" line.
doom - Doom. With goat legs. Nuff said.
inhuman - Pretty cool, classic Millarness
n-zone - Just generally fun, and fantastic
the fantastic - Good reimagining of the origin
god war - After Frightful, this felt a little confusing and a little bit rubbish
diablo - More of the same, but worse. I haven't actually paid attention reading a UFF since this arc started.

god war-horrible worst fantastic four story ive ever read
doom-great
the fantastic-pretty good
crossover-sweetness
inhuman-2nd worst story ive ever read
n-zone-pretty good
frightful-sweetness
diablo-decent getting back on track they are

What do you think?

Volume 1 - Fantastic - 8/10. A nice re-imaging of the classic
Volume 2 - Doom - 6/10. I actually liked the version of dDoom, but the story meandered. Not the vehicle for his 'inreo' in this universe.
Volume 3 - N-Zone - 5/10. TOO long for the story that was told.
Volume 4 - Inhuman - 8/10. The art suited. Jae Lee is GREAT in small doses. Again, unlike most, I liked the story. Rhona was creepy!
Volume 5 - Crossover - 9/10. Awesome! Great fun!!! Nice art, entertaining stories!
Volume 6 - Frightful - 10/10 - SUPERB! Millar/Land run was my favourite! Ultimate Doom, in every sense of BOTH words! Zombies were spectacular
Volume 7 - God War - 9/10 - A change of pace/team, the way it SHOULD be. Ferry's art is suited for 'space' tales in UFF
Volume 8 - Diablo - 6/10 - Really lost the recent momentum. Poorly written 'bad guy', inconsequential story

(Picking up again with Surfer!!)

Chime in! Rate the Eight!
My ratings are out of five stars:

Ultimate Fantastic Four 1: The Fantastic: **** They had me at the title: The Fantastic. I was like a kid, being told this was going to be my very favorite story. "It's The Fantastic". "That's what I want. That's what I've always wanted from the Fantastic Four. But ... it's been so long. You promise?" It was completely correct from page 1, giving the needed time to Reed Richards, and I loved Reed's phone call home. So I bought into this series, and look how it's turning out:

Ultimate Fantastic Four 2: Doom: **** Good in every department. Doom as a mere killer wasn't that great an idea in my opinion, but I don't have to gave everything go the way I would most prefer.

Ultimate Fantastic Four 3: N-Zone: **** Completely outstanding. This is the Fantastic Four. They are explorers of the fantastic. The exploration and wonder were milked for all they were worth, without haste or frequent interruption by fights. Beautiful, just beautiful!

Ultimate Fantastic Four 4: Inhuman: *** The Mad Thinker story was super-brilliant, but the Inhumans story was a disappointment. The Fantastic Four did not explore, rather they were just tourists who started a needless and pointless fight. This is an unworthy tale for the Fantastic Four. More fantastic, please!

Ultimate Fantastic Four 5: Crossover: **** The Zombie Four and the Namor stories were both more than good enough. I was happy to see the family stuff - it's good to stress that the Fantastic Four are a family first and foremost (rather than a "team" of individuals that can be hired and fired, dropped and replaced). Amazingly, Ben seems to be tough! I strongly support the Ultimate Thing being a top-rank strength merchant - I think him being a plucky punching bag gets really, really old fast. I forgive the lame pesudo-science and corny stuff. That's all right because scientific accuracy is not the main focus of the Fantastic Four. With the Fantastic Four, the writer should be having a blast and the reader should go along for the ride without too much criticism.

Ultimate Fantastic Four 6: Frightful: **** The Skrull story was easily good enough and the Doom / Zombie Four story was wild. Mark Millar went out in grand style.

Ultimate Fantastic Four 7: God War: *** Boring and unsympathetic aliens upstaged the Fantastic Four, but the art and the plot were OK, and the alien feel and the pseudo-technology were good, better than with Mark Millar.

Ultimate Fantastic Four 8: Devils: **** Both the Mole Man and the Diablo stories were excellent. Bonus: the feeling of the alchemy was right - I never, ever expected to see that done right. And Ben actually reacted to the fact that he'd been redefined as a second rate punching bag. (Which should not have been done, in God War, but since it is being done it's good Ben's not a dead-head.)

Ultimate Fantastic Four 9: Silver Surfer: *** Excellent villains, excellent secondary characters, good enough writing for the Fantastic Four themselves, good enough story, good enough art. On the whole: easily worth my money, and the good times just keep rolling.

Ultimate Fantastic Four 10: Ghosts: *** .

Ultimate Fantastic Four 11: Salem's Seven: *** .

*** is on the good side of average. (**** is "Wow!" ***** is "Industry-changing amazing!!" However, I rate consistency highly - I'd rather have a run of ***, ***, ***, *** that fits together well than *****, *, *****, * alternately raising and dashing expectations.)

I buy trades hoping for *** or better. As long as I get more issues I rate *** or better than I get issues I would rate ** or less, I'll feel justified in continuing to buy.

Currently I am so far ahead of the game it's ridiculous. My usual reaction to an Ultimate Fantastic Four trade is "Wow!" If I just go "Yeah, that's a good trade, well worth my money" that's unusual, and as bad as it ever gets.

"These are the good old days." They really are.

Last edited:
I won't rate the arcs as I've enjoyed this book consistently since it began, however I will refute the notion that Devils was inconsequential, if only because reintroduced Enid Richards to the cast and, you know, made her shiny.

Latest posts

Back