Recommend some TPB's

Ultimate MJ

I know theres a thread for this, but I couldnt find it using the search function...

Can anyone reccomend some good TPB's? I have been getting really into Moore lately, the Watchmen and the Swamp Thing are the latest trades I have read. Can anyone reccomend something similar? Is LXG any good?

Last edited:
I know theres a thread for this, but I couldnt find it using the search function...

Can anyone reccomend some good TPB's? I have been getting really into Moore lately, the Watchmen and the Swamp Thing are the latest trades I have read. Can anyone reccomend something similar? Is LXG any good?

I didn't like LXG, but I attribute that to my lack of familiarity with the characters. I found Planetary to be a better use of the idea.

I'd recommend Garth Ennis' Hellblazer run. It starts with Dangerous Habits, then runs through Fear and Loathing, Tainted Love, Damnations Flame and Rake at the Gates of Hell. Its damn good and seems to run with the tone the works you've listed here describe.

Since you're getting into Moore, have you tried out the America's Best Comics line? Alan Moore writes almost everything, aside from a few issues, and is teamed up with a whole lot of great artists.

There's Promethea, which starts off seeming like a Wonder Woman ripoff, but as it goes on, it expands into a magical world filled with mystical and spiritual ideas, and Moore teaches us about the magic of ideas and his own views of magic.

There's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which I love, and that teams up a whole pile of Victorian literature characters while they save Britain!

There's Top Ten, which is about policemen in a city where everyone is a superhero. Hints and references to almost everything to do with popculture and comics in general, and a very fine read.

And then there's Tom Strong, which is basically Doc Savage meets Tarzan, and placed into Silver Age nostalgia-like stories. Lots of fun, and has a lot of spin offs etc.

There are also things like Tomorrow Stories, which is an anthology series, and Tom Strong's Terrific Tales. There are also a lot of one shots.

If you aren't interested in any of those, then I can recommend a lot of other awesome titles, such as Fables, Y The Last Man, and Ex Machina.

If you aren't interested in any of those, then I can recommend a lot of other awesome titles, such as Fables, Y The Last Man, and Ex Machina.

To be quite honest----all the America's best suggestions are great. But like Proj said-----if you're not gonna read those, then you shouldn't look at any other series until you're caught up on Fables.

It is the epitome of why we read comics.

Since you're getting into Moore, have you tried out the America's Best Comics line? Alan Moore writes almost everything, aside from a few issues, and is teamed up with a whole lot of great artists.

There's Promethea, which starts off seeming like a Wonder Woman ripoff, but as it goes on, it expands into a magical world filled with mystical and spiritual ideas, and Moore teaches us about the magic of ideas and his own views of magic.

There's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which I love, and that teams up a whole pile of Victorian literature characters while they save Britain!

There's Top Ten, which is about policemen in a city where everyone is a superhero. Hints and references to almost everything to do with popculture and comics in general, and a very fine read.

And then there's Tom Strong, which is basically Doc Savage meets Tarzan, and placed into Silver Age nostalgia-like stories. Lots of fun, and has a lot of spin offs etc.

There are also things like Tomorrow Stories, which is an anthology series, and Tom Strong's Terrific Tales. There are also a lot of one shots.

*makes love to Promethea trades*

Oh, sorry. Yeah, the ABC line is excellent.

I'd also recommend V For Vendetta and Miracleman, if you're fine with downloading it.

Carey's Hellblazer
Promethea
and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is one of the greatest things ever.

But Fables and Lucifer are the greatest comic series ever.

Hmm.. Good suggestions. I already read Ex Machina, and occasionally Y, but I havent gotten that into fables yet. A couple individual issues I picked up were good, but based on the reccomendations here, I'll have to pick up a trade or two. Can anyone recommend a good Fables trade, or should I just get the first one?

I'll also get an ABC title. I saw Top Ten at the comic store the other week, and it looks interesting. Then again so does Promethea, and Tom Strong, and League ...

I'm also gonna get Invincible volume 2, and whatever Hellblazer looks the most interesting to me.

Start with the first Fables trade. They all kind of build off each other, and the story gets better and better if you've read them all from the start.

Can anyone recommend a good Fables trade, or should I just get the first one?

You should definitely start with the first one. The first 2 TPBs are pretty slow and can seem uniteresting. That was a major speedbump for me when I was getting into 'em. It took me 3 months to get thru Vol.1 and then another month thru Vol.2.

But by the time you get to Vol.3---you'll eat Fables up like black folks eat watermelon and fried chicken.

It's ok. I'm black. I can say that. :lol:

Latest posts

Back