Red Dead Redemption

I always ignore those because no matter what I screw it up because I accidentally shoot the good guy. So unless it tells who to get, I just let it go. I'm pretty close to the end, I just finished the mexico portion and I'm at the last part of the map.

You still have a ways to go.

I haven't played in a couple days since I've been getting more into inFamous, but I last left off after doing the first mission in Blackwater once you return.

You still have a ways to go.

Yep such a way to go even though I just beat it two days later. Anyway I love the game
but I did not like the ending there was no build up to it. The thing about it is there's really no main antagonist to build the story. You start out Looking for Williamson and when you finally storm Mercer he's not even there which renders the climatic fight kinda pointless. Then you go to Mexico and the introduce another guy in your former gang kinda out of no where and when you finally get them both down it was just anti climatic. So here comes another former gang member Dutch, so here I feel like "why should I care?" and it just doesn't seem important and the character here weren't as great. So when you're good and done, get your family back you do a bunch of boring mission then out of nowhere the feds attack. That just seems unnecessary according to how the story has gone. But the thing is Williamson, Dutch, the FBI none of them have any real presence in the story other than John constantly saying "I use to roll with these guys now these guys are making me hunt them" And when you do see them they're just pretty lame characters. Just not great villains.

Also now I'm stuck as Jack who is damn lame compared to John. Other than that a damn great game

Yep such a way to go even though I just beat it two days later. Anyway I love the game
but I did not like the ending there was no build up to it. The thing about it is there's really no main antagonist to build the story. You start out Looking for Williamson and when you finally storm Mercer he's not even there which renders the climatic fight kinda pointless. Then you go to Mexico and the introduce another guy in your former gang kinda out of no where and when you finally get them both down it was just anti climatic. So here comes another former gang member Dutch, so here I feel like "why should I care?" and it just doesn't seem important and the character here weren't as great. So when you're good and done, get your family back you do a bunch of boring mission then out of nowhere the feds attack. That just seems unnecessary according to how the story has gone. But the thing is Williamson, Dutch, the FBI none of them have any real presence in the story other than John constantly saying "I use to roll with these guys now these guys are making me hunt them" And when you do see them they're just pretty lame characters. Just not great villains.

Also now I'm stuck as Jack who is damn lame compared to John. Other than that a damn great game

Yeah. I had mixed feelings about that. I think it was an intentional move on Rockstar's part, and I admire them for making what amounts to an artistic decision in the pacing, but am sort of on the fence on how it was executed. In terms of storytelling, it was as good or better than most modern games.
The successive anti-climaxes fit thematically with what they were going with and while from a gameplay perspective, the shift to homestead missions was kind of a shock to the system, it worked for the narration. The thing is, they're not supposed to be great villains. They're hunted dogs, relics of a dying age, and the agents are representative of the new order, where individualism takes a back seat to bureaucratic duty. It was unconventional, but ultimately I thought it worked well. And the feds attacking didn't come out of nowhere. I think the storyline missions did a pretty clever job of building a sense of dread regarding John's relationship with the feds, and when the homestead missions came around, I personally felt a sense of bad omen hanging over them. There was the expectation that something bad was definitely going to happen.

Last edited:
Yeah. I had mixed feelings about that. I think it was an intentional move on Rockstar's part, and I admire them for making what amounts to an artistic decision in the pacing, but am sort of on the fence on how it was executed. In terms of storytelling, it was as good or better than most modern games.
The successive anti-climaxes fit thematically with what they were going with and while from a gameplay perspective, the shift to homestead missions was kind of a shock to the system, it worked for the narration. The thing is, they're not supposed to be great villains. They're hunted dogs, relics of a dying age, and the agents are representative of the new order, where individualism takes a back seat to bureaucratic duty. It was unconventional, but ultimately I thought it worked well.

Well when I say, not great villains was because they don't have a presence I get that they're hunted dogs but the whole I'm thinking why bother hunting them. How are they any different or any worse than any other outlaw, so much so the feds need to go through the trouble of holding a family hostage. They did a little with Dutch but it doesn't make up for the rest of the game. I don't even remember what Williamson or that other guy look like cause you barely ever see them. It just doesn't seem to add up.

And the feds attacking didn't come out of nowhere. I think the storyline missions did a pretty clever job of building a sense of dread regarding John's relationship with the feds, and when the homestead missions came around, I personally felt a sense of bad omen hanging over them. There was the expectation that something bad was definitely going to happen.

I don't mind what happened in the story, just how it happen. Yes the feds shoot out had foundations, John's hatred of control and they had much more presence than the rest of the villains. But they come completely unprovoked after several boring as missions and the final shoot out was just a lame level. If there was just more to the final shoot out that makes it exciting rather than mundane. And I got that sense of a bad omen mainly because you just know the game can't end with boring missions like this, but it never really jumped back up. The first part in Armadillo was such a neatly set up story and so well done and exciting. But as the game progresses that becomes less so. I was all about what was going on and was into it, but Mexico seemed to drag a bit and Blackwater just got lame all around compared to the Mexico and Armadillo chapters. I just feels like the great potential in the beginning faded way into nothing. Which makes me sad.

I certainly don't mind what happens just how the story tells it.

Home ranch missions -
The feds attack - great a villain that had more presence and menace in the story - but seemed out of no where and was a lame fight.
John Dies - a logical ending - Come on, I've taken just as many people without dying so easily
Jack takes over as main character - great that it invokes so many themes and ideas in the story - sucks ass because the voice actor suck compared to John.

And I don't think anti-climax works with video games, specially one where you have to do so much to just get to the climax.

I'm just not happy with it. Oh well. I still love the game just probably won't go past mexico if I ever replay it.

Well when I say, not great villains was because they don't have a presence I get that they're hunted dogs but the whole I'm thinking why bother hunting them. How are they any different or any worse than any other outlaw, so much so the feds need to go through the trouble of holding a family hostage. They did a little with Dutch but it doesn't make up for the rest of the game. I don't even remember what Williamson or that other guy look like cause you barely ever see them. It just doesn't seem to add up.

I don't mind what happened in the story, just how it happen. Yes the feds shoot out had foundations, John's hatred of control and they had much more presence than the rest of the villains. But they come completely unprovoked after several boring as missions and the final shoot out was just a lame level. If there was just more to the final shoot out that makes it exciting rather than mundane. And I got that sense of a bad omen mainly because you just know the game can't end with boring missions like this, but it never really jumped back up. The first part in Armadillo was such a neatly set up story and so well done and exciting. But as the game progresses that becomes less so. I was all about what was going on and was into it, but Mexico seemed to drag a bit and Blackwater just got lame all around compared to the Mexico and Armadillo chapters. I just feels like the great potential in the beginning faded way into nothing. Which makes me sad.

I certainly don't mind what happens just how the story tells it.

Home ranch missions -
The feds attack - great a villain that had more presence and menace in the story - but seemed out of no where and was a lame fight.
John Dies - a logical ending - Come on, I've taken just as many people without dying so easily
Jack takes over as main character - great that it invokes so many themes and ideas in the story - sucks ass because the voice actor suck compared to John.

And I don't think anti-climax works with video games, specially one where you have to do so much to just get to the climax.

I'm just not happy with it. Oh well. I still love the game just probably won't go past mexico if I ever replay it.

It didn't come out of nowhere though. It was clear that Edgar Ross didn't like John and he still saw John as a ruthless outlaw!

It didn't come out of nowhere though. It was clear that Edgar Ross didn't like John and he still saw John as a ruthless outlaw!

Not what I meant
it came out of no where in that there was no lead up, game or storywise. The was backround and cause but nothing built towards a finale. It's just do a bunch of home missions than the government attacks. No warning and no set up. That just makes it seem anti climatic.

I finished undead nightmare, totally kick ass. That's what I love about the concept of DLC it allows for new content without having to get a whole new game. Undead is half way to being a full on sequel.
Also playing as undead John is million times better than Jack

Also have we ever done a Comic Board Posse?

J. Agamemnon, Ice, theegreatone, a bunch of TOG's friends and I had quite a few good games earlier.

It was grand. I would have had my mic on more often but my kid was crying every so often. I didn't want to annoy anybody, but with all that dynamite bombing going on I was ready to just stick the headset on him, squeeze his cheek and let him roar.

We all need to play again. This time with me in it longer (I left to get dinner). But the match I did was great with 12 kills.

Latest posts

Back