Resident Evil Canon Universe - Timeline

After seeing different details of Resident Evil 4 Remake I think it would be safer to just split the Timeline 1 in Original and Remake Timelines
RE4 Remake Finally confirmed that the remakes and originals arenìt in the same universe?

RE4 Remake Finally confirmed that the remakes and originals arenìt in the same universe?
Well, a file says that
Operation Javier only had one survivor: Krauser and that him got abandoned by the USA government. Given that Darkside Chronicles ends with Krauser, Leon and Manuela leaving in a USA government helicopter I guess that the Darkside Chronicles are no longer canon

Well, a file says that
Operation Javier only had one survivor: Krauser and that him got abandoned by the USA government. Given that Darkside Chronicles ends with Krauser, Leon and Manuela leaving in a USA government helicopter I guess that the Darkside Chronicles are no longer canon
then 2 options:
1) RE1 Remake Treatment: the version with the most connection (in this case is the RE1 Remake) but Original files in the other versions that aren't in the Remake are also canon.
2) Originals are a universe, Remake are another (But choosing this one will mean that RE1 Remake is no longer canon, which is folse since Capcom confirmed as the canonical depictions of the RE1 events).

I've been playing through the RE series lately and I did the originals followed by the remakes and then did the tie-ins (i.e. outbreak) and yeah... the remakes felt very different from the originals and don't really sync up with other canonical material unless you look at it as a "broad strokes" kinda way.

I think Resident evil 0/Remake 1 should be treated differently though, as the Umbrella/darkside chronicles definitely treat these two as canon, so they likely share canon with both the original timeline and remake timeline, if that makes sense. Not to mention REmake 1 is a much closer adaption of the original game than the others are.

Personally on a playthrough I think it would be best to do all the original games up to code veronica (so Re1,2,3 maybe Outbreaks, Survivor, CV) and then do RE0 and REmake 1, as RE0 also opens with some text referring to the events of all of those games

I've been playing through the RE series lately and I did the originals followed by the remakes and then did the tie-ins (i.e. outbreak) and yeah... the remakes felt very different from the originals and don't really sync up with other canonical material unless you look at it as a "broad strokes" kinda way.

I think Resident evil 0/Remake 1 should be treated differently though, as the Umbrella/darkside chronicles definitely treat these two as canon, so they likely share canon with both the original timeline and remake timeline, if that makes sense. Not to mention REmake 1 is a much closer adaption of the original game than the others are.

Personally on a playthrough I think it would be best to do all the original games up to code veronica (so Re1,2,3 maybe Outbreaks, Survivor, CV) and then do RE0 and REmake 1, as RE0 also opens with some text referring to the events of all of those games
Yes I have been wondering how to writte the playing order, since all of the playing orders in this site seem to just put the games in chronological order and not take into account wether you are supposed to play something in release order.

then 2 options:
1) RE1 Remake Treatment: the version with the most connection (in this case is the RE1 Remake) but Original files in the other versions that aren't in the Remake are also canon.
2) Originals are a universe, Remake are another (But choosing this one will mean that RE1 Remake is no longer canon, which is folse since Capcom confirmed as the canonical depictions of the RE1 events).

I just don't consider the 2 and 3 remakes as being the same as the remake of 1. I mean, they are not the same "set" of remakes. 7, 2 Remake, 3 Remake, Village and 4 Remake are all coming in quick sucession with the same engine, meanwhile 1 Remake was a single remake released in 2003 that updated 1 to the "level" of Code Veronica, but I mean, technically 4 is in the next "level" and it is still remade as if it is considered outdated. I just think that they released 2 because of popularity and the same with 4 now, but they would eventually remake Code Veronica and 1 Remake. 7 and Village have the weird status of being with a similar feeling of the remakes but still 7 sports a 7 that indicates a continuation of 6, so, I would just put 7 and Village in both timelines until more info is gattered. I mean, they are going to release a 4th CGI movie, so, the "old" universe is still not abandoned, I guess

Until this point I just considered that we just have the remakes as another version of the events because some of the games already contain slightly contradictions, so I just guessed that the events of 2 in canon are some mix of 2 Leon A, 2 Leon B, 2 Claire A, 2 Claire B, Darkside Chronicles, Outbreak, Outbreak #2, 2 Remake Leon A, 2 Remake Leon B, 2 Remake Claire A, 2 Remake Claire B, 3 (with its alternate paths created with quicktime events) and 3 Remake, so the remakes adding new version to the mix wasn't anything that made me think that an inconsistency was created since they were already so many retellings.

I just don't consider the 2 and 3 remakes as being the same as the remake of 1.
I agree there, Resident evil 1 remake felt like a significant overhaul of the original game but basically the same with a few additions to the story

the remakes of 2 and 3 felt wildly different in their tone and how their plot progresses. it felt like a Studio A24 remake of some eighties b-movies.

Havent played the remake of 4 yet, but im thinking I might just leave all the remakes till after I played everything else

Resident Evil Revelations [Jessica's Report] (Could contain spoilers of revelations have not checked yet)
Resident Evil Revelations [Extended trailer]
Resident Evil Revelations
Angela's Diary
Resident Evil Degeneration
I've been using your timeline on my own playthrough of the series (super useful btw)

I'd say "Jessicas report" should be after revelations, as it uses graphics from the game that could be considered spoilers. I'd also say Angela's Diary should be after Degeneration, as some of the details revealed in it are supposed to be a "twist". Also both documents make more sense when you have the context from the main piece of media.

It is OK now?
Also keep in mind that I had not finished everything in the timeline so, they are some parts in which I may be wrong that is why there is the "(WIP)" thing

Last edited:
It is OK now?
Also keep in mind that I had not finished everything in the timeline so, they are some parts in which I may be wrong that is why there is the "(WIP)" thing
yeah that works

Oh I understand its WIP, just given that I am working through the timeline myself I thought I'll give you some notes if thats ok

Do you think I should put all the In-Universe Documents in the Timeline? I mean, I have already put a videotape from 7, that it is just a playable file, and usually in this things we also count flashbacks so they could be added.

For your mental health I would Say no, keep It simple, trust me. If you are a mad people Like me, other games that adapts the main games have inique documenta, that are 100% Canon.

Yeah, I was reading your previous comment about the documents being canon in the remakes and that is when I got the idea hahaha

Yeah, I was reading your previous comment about the documents being canon in the remakes and that is when I got the idea hahaha
Not only that if there Is a inique document in the original Resident evil or the Director's cut are Canon.

Well, once I have finished the rest I will decide, but for the moment I have LOTS of timelines that I have started and not finished

Is the Umbrella Chronicles: Racoon Destruction 1-3 scenario canon? Events and stuff does not happen like they did in RE:3 (original) at all. While the previous two scenarios left out some stuff and changed minor things I think they worked, but this one is just a mess.

Some notable things that are different from the original:

- The whole scenario takes place in the city (Streets -> Subway -> Precinct) and then it ends
- Nemesis is only encountered in the precinct, only has one transformation and his boss fight takes place on the station roof.
- Carlos is with Jill the whole time (makes sense because of the two-player mode, this happened with the other scenarios as well like Jill/Chris being together the whole time in the Mansion Scenario, so I consider this minor)
- We don't meet any of the side characters from RE: 3
- The Grave Digger is fought in the streets rather than the park
- Anything taking place after the Police Station in RE:3 (so about 3/4 of the game) is cut entirely as Jill/Carlos escape from the roof.

Is the Umbrella Chronicles: Racoon Destruction 1-3 scenario canon? Events and stuff does not happen like they did in RE:3 (original) at all. While the previous two scenarios left out some stuff and changed minor things I think they worked, but this one is just a mess.

Some notable things that are different from the original:

- The whole scenario takes place in the city (Streets -> Subway -> Precinct) and then it ends
- Nemesis is only encountered in the precinct, only has one transformation and his boss fight takes place on the station roof.
- Carlos is with Jill the whole time (makes sense because of the two-player mode, this happened with the other scenarios as well like Jill/Chris being together the whole time in the Mansion Scenario, so I consider this minor)
- We don't meet any of the side characters from RE: 3
- The Grave Digger is fought in the streets rather than the park
- Anything taking place after the Police Station in RE:3 (so about 3/4 of the game) is cut entirely as Jill/Carlos escape from the roof.
I think its best to treat the flashbacks from Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles as a case of "unreliable narrator"

Both times the flashbacks are portrayed as being in-universe retellings of what happened. In Darkside Chronicles its Leon telling Krauser about his previous experiences fighting Biohazards while in Umbrella Chronicles its Wesker writing reports about the Racoon city incident.

this helps to explain the inconsistencies. This would be especially true for "Racoon Destruction" as Wesker wasnt even in the city at the time, so he would be basing his report on whatever other information he can gather.

From a real world perspective, I get the impression that "Umbrella Chronicles" was supposed to be a retelling of all the PSX games for a Nintendo audience, and so they attempted to cram stuff from Resident evil 3. 2 and Outbreak into 1 scenario (plus Ada's chapter). Thats why you can revisit locations from Outbreak in Racoons Destruction, which I thought was cool

Latest posts

Back