RIP Bendis Board

E

Excelsior Club
Did you guys see that the Bendis (Jinxworld) forum closed up this past weekend?

It was around for something like 20 years including the time it was at Image. You can trace the roots of this site back to the Bendis boards in a few different ways; it was the most significant comic board forum around the time this site was founded and it basically where I learned how forums work, both functionally and socially. I took a lot of cues from that site and some of the policies here are a direct result of things I had seen or experienced there.

Despite the good things that came from it I always hated the atmosphere - it was very much like a fraternity frequented by a bunch of the comic equivalent of frat boys. Bendis was one of the worst.

In its place will be Twitter and Tumblr. Makes sense. I've wondered for a while now how viable the message board system really is anymore.

I never liked the Bendis Board. It was extremely insular and hostile to newer members.

As for the viability of message boards, I think they might be at an end. Between Twitter and sites like Reddit they're being pushed out. And I kind of think that's a shame. I've met a lot of really cool people thanks to this site and to think that that experience is instead going to be pushed into a behemoth of a social site where you're not likely to run into the same person more than once unless you're EXTREMELY vocal/hostile really takes away from my personal internet experience.

I like the idea that they let Joe Kalicki back and then immediately shut it down.

I don't think I would be able to keep up with the number of sites he frequents.

Latest posts

Back