Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Fantastic film. One of the best this year hands down. Caesar was fantastic and everything done with the apes was really well done. Been a while since I have rooted for humanity too lose so much.

I might have to see this. At the beginning of the summer I thought this would be one of its worst films, and Green Lantern would be one of its best . . . :oops:

DARKKNIGHT said:
I might have to see this. At the beginning of the summer I thought this would be one of its worst films, and Green Lantern would be one of its best . . . :oops:

Yeah, I didn't hold much hope either but the reviews are very promising.

Saw it - CGI was quite good. Caesar was great also. The movie had an uphill battle to fight in my case, though. I'm 41 and remember seeing the (1968?) original as a kid on our first VCR (you know, the one with the 'remote' attatched by a long wire?).

That one was SO fantastic, and has held up so well IMO, that the follow-ups have to be absolutely EPIC for me to favourably compare. This was good, but not great. To me, the story of this, and the original (I realize this was not a re-make) were somewhat comparable, but the 'understory' of the original shone so much brighter than this one's.

1968's had pertinent things to say about civil rights (which I understood to a degree as a kid) and slavery (which I didn't until later). 1968's was an allegory. This one was not. It was a direct statement about animal testing, scientific morality, and to some degree, the limits to which we will go for family. These are important issues to be sure, but not handled as masterfully as the original.

Take what I say with a grain of salt - If this were my first PotA movie, I might think it superior to the others. Its just not - and I don't :)

Saw it - CGI was quite good. Caesar was great also. The movie had an uphill battle to fight in my case, though. I'm 41 and remember seeing the (1968?) original as a kid on our first VCR (you know, the one with the 'remote' attatched by a long wire?).

That one was SO fantastic, and has held up so well IMO, that the follow-ups have to be absolutely EPIC for me to favourably compare. This was good, but not great. To me, the story of this, and the original (I realize this was not a re-make) were somewhat comparable, but the 'understory' of the original shone so much brighter than this one's.

1968's had pertinent things to say about civil rights (which I understood to a degree as a kid) and slavery (which I didn't until later). 1968's was an allegory. This one was not. It was a direct statement about animal testing, scientific morality, and to some degree, the limits to which we will go for family. These are important issues to be sure, but not handled as masterfully as the original.

Take what I say with a grain of salt - If this were my first PotA movie, I might think it superior to the others. Its just not - and I don't :)

Hm.... An allegory for civil rights and slavery where apes are an analogy for African-Americans?

That's.......... ballsy. Is that the word I'm looking for?

Last edited:
The apes were the enslavers - humanity were the slaves. I can't recommend a book that I've read on the original five movies enough - (and of course, I ironically can't remember the actial title!!)
Something like - Planet of the Apes as modern American Myth - its quite a deconstruction of the original 5 films.

The apes were the enslavers - humanity were the slaves. I can't recommend a book that I've read on the original five movies enough - (and of course, I ironically can't remember the actial title!!)
Something like - Planet of the Apes as modern American Myth - its quite a deconstruction of the original 5 films.

Ah. Fair enough!

I wish they had gone with the original working title, Caesar, or at least kept the short title Rise of the Apes. I know that all the films in the original franchise had "Planet of the Apes" in their titles, but since this is a reboot of the series and they're probably going to remake the original/adapt the book (judging by the Icarus reference), the next movie would share the same name as the original (though there's still that Tim Burton travesty).

That seems fair enough and to be fair, this was my first PotA movie. I certainly agree about the allegory thing and it's actually one of the main flaws I had with JJ Abrams' Star Trek movie. In the 60s, having a Medical Officer from Kentucky and a female African American Communications Officer was progressive and remarkable. Now it's...just something that happened to be part of the story. It doesn't really mean anything anymore.

Rise was a better movie in that it actually was still making a point about something (although like you said, it was a lot less subtle).

On the subject of the CGI, I felt that while it wasn't completely realistic, it was really impressive and emotive, which made up for it.

I wish they had gone with the original working title, Caesar, or at least kept the short title Rise of the Apes. I know that all the films in the original franchise had "Planet of the Apes" in their titles, but since this is a reboot of the series and they're probably going to remake the original/adapt the book (judging by the Icarus reference), the next movie would share the same name as the original (though there's still that Tim Burton travesty).

I definitely think it should have been called 'Rise of the Apes'. Having never seen any of the other films, I still think I would have made the connection easily enough and it's dumb if the studio thought that people wouldn't. Maybe they really wanted to be consistent with the original films.

Last edited:
I find Gothamite's first post about this movie, and his subsequent posts enlightening.

I may have to go see it now.

You have gorilla hands so you can probably relate to a lot of it.

I'm interested to know which side you end up rooting for.

This movie had subtitles for the sign language parts?

ProjectX2 said:
Yes.

This film was surprisingly great.

I absolutely loved it. I was surprised how thorough and well-written it was. I gave it 5 stars.

But I'm ticked that I missed huge parts because my copy didn't have subtitles for the sign language.

I demand quality from my pirated media.

Latest posts

Back