Rising cost of comics

a fan

How much more do you think the price of comics will rise in the near future?
Why are they increasing so rapidly?
If comics sales are declining then why is Joe Q saying that civil war is selling out like mad and that there is a huge demand? woulden't that make the price of comics go down like $.25 ?

If comics sales are declining then why is Joe Q saying that civil war is selling out like mad and that there is a huge demand? woulden't that make the price of comics go down like $.25 ?

Things don't happen that quickly with set price items. While Civil War is selling like mad and causing an increase in exposure for the entire Marvel line all that does is give Marvel a choice. Do we take the added revenue and turn it over into new comics and more attempts to lure big name writers/artists or do we cut the cover price on some titles? Most of the time they'll roll it over, whatever pans out from the new launches will bring in more money. In addition once a price point is set its hard to expect a company to lower costs on items like these. Now would it be in thier best intrest to not raise prices for a while, easily enough done thanks to increased sales and intrest? Of course. But I'd be down right shocked if they dropped prices.

Civil War is just one book, and one that they have really outdone themselves on promoting.

I don't really care for the price.

I just hope comics don't go online. As they have talked about.

I would hate that.

I'd be alright with that if its only for the monthly books and we could still buy trdaes. Hell, I've bought the books that webcomics have put out to support them and be able to toss one to a friend.

I'd be alright with that if its only for the monthly books and we could still buy trdaes. Hell, I've bought the books that webcomics have put out to support them and be able to toss one to a friend.

I would be alright with that. I do that now anyway.

Last edited:
I would be alright with that. I do that now anyway.

Personally I'm hesitant to make the switch to trades. I mean most of them seem to be 15-20 dollars, and 6 issues only costs 15-18 dollars. If they made all trades 9.95-12.95 (like Kirkmans Invincible/TWD trades..!!!!!) I would make the switch for at least half my pull list.

Personally I'm hesitant to make the switch to trades. I mean most of them seem to be 15-20 dollars, and 6 issues only costs 15-18 dollars. If they made all trades 9.95-12.95 (like Kirkmans Invincible/TWD trades..!!!!!) I would make the switch for at least half my pull list.

You can get them from Amazon.com at up to 37% off on new releases, and free shipping on orders over $25. Mile High also runs specials quite often at 40% off or more.

I don't think I've ever seen a TPB cover price at more than the cover prices of the issues it collects.

I purchase all of my trades over amazon.ca marketplace. Usually end up paying half of the cover price (and that's including the shipping and handling fee). Works well for me and I've probably saved more than a hundred bucks so far...

I purchase all of my trades over amazon.ca marketplace. Usually end up paying half of the cover price (and that's including the shipping and handling fee). Works well for me and I've probably saved more than a hundred bucks so far...
That's how I do it now. I used to order the TPB's from my comic shop before I saw the light to not order from there, wait like a week or two when it's available in amazon and get it for a much better price.

I learne this hard lesson after buying the Uncanny X-Men Omnibus for the cover price of $100 when Amazon had it for like $67 :cry:

When I order my comics online I get all trades at 50% of, so a $20 Marvel premier hardcover goes fown to $10, wich is a pretty good deal.

I hope when you guys order through Amazon you do through this site...it helps the site. :D

Hardcovers are my poison. They're good for displaying, they handle wear and tear much better than singles and trades, they have extras in them, and they're often oversized. And they only come out every few months.

The only time I ever buy trades over HCs is if I'm not sure if they're making an HC for a particular series (Ultimate Adventures, DD, Elektra). I also only buy singles if the story is really good (Ultimates).

Last edited:
I would start ordering through amazon, but after what happened to my boss in the case of identity theft, I don't think I would ever buy anything. Or at least just buy as little as possible.

Last edited:
You can get them from Amazon.com at up to 37% off on new releases, and free shipping on orders over $25. Mile High also runs specials quite often at 40% off or more.

I don't think I've ever seen a TPB cover price at more than the cover prices of the issues it collects.

Based on your testomonial and everyone elses, I may try buying some TPBs online soon. Through the UC amazon link :). I have only shopped for them at the LCS, which is expensive.

Although I do feel kind of bad supporting faceless wholesalers over local business.

Based on your testomonial and everyone elses, I may try buying some TPBs online soon. Through the UC amazon link :). I have only shopped for them at the LCS, which is expensive.

Although I do feel kind of bad supporting faceless wholesalers over local business.

I don't. I like my LCS, and still go there quite a bit for other things, but the discounts I get online are too good to pass up. If they could close to match it I'd switch back, but its just not fesable.

Latest posts

Back