Robert Kirkman answers questions about his upcoming Ultimate X-Men run

Hi-Fi

I asked some questions about Ultimate X-Men in Kirkman's forum (Imagecomics.com).
Here are his answers:

Will you follow the established relation between Rogue and Logan? I mean, BKV introduced this thing about Logan considering her like a sister and i'd hate to see one more subplot forgotten.

RK: I won't be forgetting any subplots... I promise. This stuff is important to me.

Will you introduce any new character to the ultimate universe that will last? As new, i mean original creation. And if so, will him/her stick around? I though Syndicate was a great adition by Vaughan but he disappeared after one issue.

RK: We'll see.

Is there any chance you could stay for more than 9 issues? Please say so. I'm very fond of your work. I can't wait to see the team in your hands, because i know you're great with characters interaction.

RK: I'm enjoying the work. I'd certainly LIKE to do more. We'll see.

And please give us a clue about the one and only character you're bringing from the regular universe. Is it a man or woman? Cool

RK: You'll find out in my first issue.

Oh, and i love what you did with Jubilee. I'd enjoy seeing her popping in UXM.

RK: No plans to do this. There are more than enough X-Men already in the book.

-Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Questions for Robert Kirkman

It's really good to know that he cares about continuity.

Is there gonna be a new X-Man in UXM, or a new character who is not an X-Man? I assume that it's a character from 616 getting Ultimitized and not an existing Ultimate character or a brand new character.
I'd like to see Mimic in the Ultimate Universe. I think that he should be sent to the school by his parents and then he should try and show off by stealing his teammates powers and using them to beat them...just for a laugh. It'd make him some kinda bad boy type, but not the Wolverine variation.

Nas-T! said:
Is there gonna be a new X-Man in UXM, or a new character who is not an X-Man? I assume that it's a character from 616 getting Ultimitized and not an existing Ultimate character or a brand new character.
I'd like to see Mimic in the Ultimate Universe. I think that he should be sent to the school by his parents and then he should try and show off by stealing his teammates powers and using them to beat them...just for a laugh. It'd make him some kinda bad boy type, but not the Wolverine variation.
Truth. We need someone who wants to be an outcast but accepted unlike Dazzler who is a ***** and wants to be "different".

I'm glad he feels that there are already enough X-Men in the book, so we don't eventually have to have any Ultimate X-Men Blue and Gold in the near future.

Thanks and nice work, Hi-Fi.

Last edited:

TheManWithoutFear said:
Truth. We need someone who wants to be an outcast but accepted unlike Dazzler who is a ***** and wants to be "different".
Yep. Like a Gwen Stacy (Ultimate) on the X-Men. Of course, it's funny that Gwen and Ali have almost the same voice in my head...almost. Sorry to go off-topic there.:wink:

So, I'm super excited about Kirkman's run! I was before this, but now even moreso! Yay Kirkman!!!

He answered one more question:

Kirkman. Will Spider-Man be showing up due to his relationship with Kitty?

RK: Some.

Hi-Fi said:
He answered one more question:

Kirkman. Will Spider-Man be showing up due to his relationship with Kitty?

RK: Some.
Yay! I hope Peter shows up in "Date Night". After all, if the X-Men are all going out on a mass date, it should be:

Scott & Jean
Logan & 'Ro
Bobby & Marian
Kitty & Peter
Pete & Jean-Paul
Kurt and...um...HEY! Maybe that's where that new character comes in!!

Nas

Nas-T! said:
Yay! I hope Peter shows up in "Date Night". After all, if the X-Men are all going out on a mass date, it should be:

Scott & Jean
Logan & 'Ro
Bobby & Marian
Kitty & Peter
Pete & Jean-Paul

Nas

I don't think Storm and Logan are together. They are like good friends, i think.

But yay for Peter. Should be really fun seeing his interaction with Bobby.

And poor Kurt.

As to the new character, i think he'll be the villain of the arc. The Magician. Maybe he's an old Marvel villain or something. Or maybe he's Mesmero.

Hi-Fi said:
I don't think Storm and Logan are together. They are like good friends, i think.
Yep. But it doesn't mean they can't go on a date, right?

Hi-Fi said:
But yay for Peter. Should be really fun seeing his interaction with Bobby.
Those are potentially HILARIOUS moments! I hope they're handled well when they do arrive.

Hi-Fi said:
And poor Kurt.
Yeah. There are uglier guys than him with girlfriends, but I like that he's such a big geek in the UU. It makes him funnier. I hope he gets to go out with a girl who is just as much a geek as he is...but someone either new to the ultimate world...or maybe...Hardrive from the Brotherhood!!!:lol:

Hi-Fi said:
As to the new character, i think he'll be the villain of the arc. The Magician. Maybe he's an old Marvel villain or something. Or maybe he's Mesmero.
Hmmmm. That's not a bad thought there. After all, I think the solicit says something like "Who is The Magician?" so it's probably someone like Mesmero, yeah. Maybe it's a red herring and the magician is Mastermind, while someone else who's new is showing up?

Nas-T! said:

Scott & Jean
Logan & 'Ro
Bobby & Marian
Kitty & Peter
Pete & Jean-Paul

Nas

Agreed almost my exact same thoughts... well maybe not Bobby and Rogue as their probably feeling awkward at the moment.

I'd really like to see Iceman - Spider-Man inteaction. Kurt dealing with the only one being lonely. Scott and Jean cos I'm a fan and Kitty reacting to Rogues return.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Agreed almost my exact same thoughts... well maybe not Bobby and Rogue as their probably feeling awkward at the moment.

I'd really like to see Iceman - Spider-Man inteaction. Kurt dealing with the only one being lonely. Scott and Jean cos I'm a fan and Kitty reacting to Rogues return.
Yeah, I sorta forgot that Rogue is still...like...Gambit. So if Bobby goes out with her, it's like going out with Gumbo-Moptop too!:lol:
Yay on the Spidey-Iceman stuff. Kurt SO needs a girlfriend! Scott and Jean have never been a favorite of mine because they've always seemed so predestined in every reality, but with the Phoenix slowly changing Jean and making her more violent, perhaps things may become interesting. Scott's reaction to her wanting to use her powers to help him see in "The Most Dangerous Game" or when he snapped at her, saying she spends so much time in Xavier's head...those are a good example of what's coming, I reckon.
Kitty vs. Rogue: ROUND 2!!! This time, I bet Rogue still wins!! But Spider-Man vs. Rogue...now that'd be fun to read!!:D

I really really really hope that it's not Gambit's personality in Rogues head. This whole Rogues going to be half male half female idea is making me sick. I know she has some sort of Gambit in her but let's just hope the way she's talking is like what would happen after hanging around a foreigner too long and picking up their accent. Rogue should be limited to Gambit's powers, speech, and memories.

But Rogue said she could hear his voice as if he were standing next to her. I also hope that it's just his memories, his skills and his powers. IMO, it's a neat twist on both characters and better than if they'd have given her the common super strength, flight, invulnerability package that the 616 hasn't been able to permanently rid her of.

What would be funny to see is Rogue making skin contact with Colonel Danvers just as an in-joke at some point!

I'm kinda worried with this Rogue-Gambit thing. She could keep his powers but please not his personality!

What pleased me most was his belief that there are enough X-men already in the book. What worries me about each new writer is that they'll want to bring in half a dozen more X-men at any time and totally ruin the character interactions that re already in existence. I think it was a brilliant tool of Vaughan's to use Emma's school as a holding area for Marvel U X-members until they do have a place within a storyline. I hope this is maintained.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Hi-Fi

Ask him if their will be any tension between the drama queens (Bobby, Kitty, Rogue)

I'm afraid he'll stop answering if i ask a lot of spoilerish questions. He's not like Brian that answered evey damn question we asked (even if it was with a stay tuned).8)

Let's see if he answers my question about Emma's students first.

Latest posts

Back