Robert Zemeckis's A Christmas Carol

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy

Plot :

A Christmas Carol is a Victorian morality tale of an old and bitter miser, Ebenezer Scrooge (Jim Carrey), who undergoes a profound experience of redemption over the course of one night. Mr. Scrooge is a financier/money-changer who has devoted his life to the accumulation of wealth. He holds anything other than money in contempt, including friendship, love and the Christmas season. But an encounter with the ghostly figure of Jacob Marley (Gary Oldman) sets the stage for a mysterious and magical encounter with three phantasmic beings to help him realize the true magic of Christmas itself.

Cast http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol_(2009_film)#Cast

19 second video can be seen here :

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/up...as-ebenezer-scrooge-in-a-christmas-carol-6868

This looks cool. Robert Zemeckis? Awesome. Jim Carrey? Awesome. A Christmas Carol? Awesome. How can this not be great?

Am I the only one that wants Zemeckis to return to live action? I haven't seen Polar Express and Beowulf was decent but Back to the Future, Forrest Gump and Cast Away are some of my most favourite movies.

Polar Express was pretty good. I agree however his live action was better but i'm still exited for this

This will be godawful. Zemeckis hasn't learned a thing from The Polar Express. So he may have fixed the "dead eyes" problem; he still cast Jim Carrey in SEVEN different roles. One of the many problems people had with Express was that of Tom Hanks playing way too many characters. If I recall correctly, he played five.

If he's going to do another motion capture film -- and he will, it's been announced -- he should hire Peter Jackson and his Weta wizards or something. Heck, he could even go back to the style he used for Monster House. It was far from perfect but unlike in The Polar Express and this new Christmas Carol, he wasn't trying to do realistic human characters. As a result, the uniqueness of Monster House earned it an Oscar nomination while Polar Express was derided by movie buffs and as a result, the term "dead eyes" was born. According to Entertainment Weekly, Zemeckis flips a **** every time someone mentions the term to him. Judging by the preview, it's definitely gotten better.

Still, this is, what, the 27th remake of A Christmas Carol? I'll stick with the 1951 Alastair Sim version, thank you very much. (Check it out, kiddies! It's great stuff!)

This will have to be very good or else it will be very bad.

I loved Beowulf.

The Alastair Sim version is of course the Definitive.

The problem here is that the concept of the original is so good, so perfect, that everybody wants a piece. But it's also a rare case of a versatile concept being completely appreciated by its author and maxed out in its first story. There've been hundreds of adaptations and re-imaginings but they, with the exception of the Sim version, haven't improved it, added anything or done anything better than the book did. There are a few that are good in their own right like Scrooged, but even that angle has long since worn thin.

What else can they do with this film to make it worth seeing?

I think it looks cool. Jim Carrey is a good choice for Scrooge, and Gary Oldman is a good choice for Marley.

Now we just need a Christmas movie with Tim Allen vs. Jim Carrey.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back