Rogue's power and Colossus.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Ok, so in 616, Colossus is immune to Rogue's absorbing powers, when he's in his steel form. But after going over the arc in UXM where Rogue uses her power on Colossus when he's in his steel form, I got confused. How can that be possible? :?

It's a different Universe?
Which issue is this anyway? I don't remember it.

Chances are, Colossus being immune was probably some lame cliffhanger plot device in 616 anyway, there is no reason for it to happen that way.

Guijllons said:
It's a different Universe?
Which issue is this anyway? I don't remember it.
It was during "Return to Weapon X" I'd say about issue 7 or 8 maybe.

Ah, yeah, I just pulled it out, I see now. Last pages of UXM #7.

I just think it makes more sense to have him not invulnerable to her powers, the more they iron out the quirks, the better the book will be. IMO.
It's no more strange than Vision being an alien robot rather than being built by Ultron. It's a twist.

Guijllons said:
Ah, yeah, I just pulled it out, I see now. Last pages of UXM #7.

I just think it makes more sense to have him not invulnerable to her powers, the more they iron out the quirks, the better the book will be. IMO.
It's no more strange than Vision being an alien robot rather than being built by Ultron. It's a twist.
I think it makes sense. There is no reason for him to be invulnerable to her powers, it is ORGANIC steel after all.

Rogue's powers in the UU are riddled with inconsistencies. Like there, she can just get his memories, or extract just Jean's powers, but after she joins the X-Men, she's lost control? Or never had control? O_O

Of course the opportunity to get her to fly and wotnot is there once danvers becomes miss marple or whatever, I just see no point in making her so powerful, she has a perfectly good set of abilities as is.

Well, J's right... Inconsistencies in the control Rogue has over her own powers riddles the title. She knew what she was doing in most of the parts when Millar wrote her and it would seem that Vaughan changed that around. The way Millar wrote her is probably more accurate since she stayed with Weapon X and probably perfected her ability, however, now that she's in the X-Men there are flaws. This may be because she's been able to become more of a teenager than a weapon, however, I don't see why that would go unexplained...

Colossus' powers, too, for that matter... He can't breathe when he's in his metal form, or rather, he doesn't have to and it would appear that he's immune to Sentinel shots (New Mutants) but not Rogue's touch...

Goodwill said:
Well, J's right... Inconsistencies in the control Rogue has over her own powers riddles the title. She knew what she was doing in most of the parts when Millar wrote her and it would seem that Vaughan changed that around. The way Millar wrote her is probably more accurate since she stayed with Weapon X and probably perfected her ability, however, now that she's in the X-Men there are flaws. This may be because she's been able to become more of a teenager than a weapon, however, I don't see why that would go unexplained...
I've been thinking the same thing. Since her life also isn't threatned to use her powers for other's use, she doesn't worry about it or whatever. But yeah, at least some explanation, even if it's a small one, would be good.

You have to wonder what her mental state is, especially after what Millar wrote with her at the end of the Return of the King. Her parents were used to explain how she got off and how she was enrolled in the Institute, but nothing was filled in in terms of her feelings... I guess that's what ground the Cry Wolf was, however, I'd like to see more.

icemastertron said:
Ok, so in 616, Colossus is immune to Rogue's absorbing powers, when he's in his steel form. But after going over the arc in UXM where Rogue uses her power on Colossus when he's in his steel form, I got confused. How can that be possible? :?

OK, this is how I see it. Back in the good ol' times of X-Men (the 80's), Colossus was not immune to Rogue's touch (though steel, it is his skin none the less). That is how it should be.

However, when they had that relaunch or whatever it was in 2000 or whatever, they threw continuity out of the window and decided to make Colossus immune to Rogue with no explaination. This was only done to make a plot device for Rogue, as she had to choose a man she loved but couldn't touch (Gambit) and a man she didn't love but could touch (Colossus). Of course, that was thrown out the window within several issues.

I like to pretend that anything written during this period in X-Men never happened (kind of like pretending Rocky V or Batman & Robin never happened).

icemastertron said:
I've been thinking the same thing. Since her life also isn't threatned to use her powers for other's use, she doesn't worry about it or whatever. But yeah, at least some explanation, even if it's a small one, would be good.
Or you could just do what I did and have her powers reach a new level, creating the lack of control. Sounds good in a story, explains why Rogue is there instead of a SHIELD lackey... *shrugs* I think that the writers are trying to undo a lot of what Millar did. Gay Colossus (let's not even get started on that again), fixing Rogue's powers, making it more evident that the Phoenix is a sentient entity, not just Jean's way of explaining away a new burst of powers...

jtg3885 said:
Or you could just do what I did and have her powers reach a new level, creating the lack of control. Sounds good in a story, explains why Rogue is there instead of a SHIELD lackey... *shrugs* I think that the writers are trying to undo a lot of what Millar did. Gay Colossus (let's not even get started on that again), fixing Rogue's powers, making it more evident that the Phoenix is a sentient entity, not just Jean's way of explaining away a new burst of powers...

Basically, turning it into the 616. :roll:

Someone needs to wake them up to the fact that the UU != the MU.

I think Phoenix was always supposed to be some sort of entity, unless Jean had prior knowledge of the Hellfire club. The Phoenix was painted on the floor there for example, and didn't Jean and the Hellfire club refer to it as the Phoenix independently? Perhaps when the Thor storyline is cleared up we can see a better understanding as to what is going down there. Two characters with backgrounds in mental health troubles, both claiming to be or have access to god's or godlike powers. The parallels may just be a lazy repeat of an idea, or they also may be connected in some loose way.

Jean did have prior knowledge of the Phoenix. She said that she had visions of the bird before she met Xavier, but that's a topic not suitable for this thread.

Then she must have had either a prior connection to the hellfire club that traumatised her into believing the phoenix is real. or the phoenix really is real.

But you're right, let's not talk about it.

Latest posts

Back