Rome (HBO Series)

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
So I picked up Season 1 and 2 of this show for cheap at WalMart ($20.00 each, WORD!).

After watching most of the first season, I can honestly say I'm ashamed I ever even bothered with Spartacus - Blood and Sand.

Comparing the two is unfair to Spartacus, since Rome is such a better show in every way. Most notable are the sets, costumes, CGI sets, etc. Not once in this entire show's run (so far) have I felt as if I'm not watching historical events unfold. Fantastic job.

I'm also disappointed it didn't get to finish its intended run (a curse that seems to afflict just about EVERY HBO and Showtime show I enjoy). The plans to include Marc Antony's time in Egypt with Cleopatra, the rise of Jesus Christ, etc all sounded quite interesting, and I would've loved to see how they handled those storylines and characters.

An interesting feature on the DVD's is a little historical blurb pops up (this can be turned on or off) describing the historical context of the events in the show. Pretty cool addition to the DVD's.

Oh well, like Deadwood and Carnivale, this is another of those shows I'll just have to be content with wondering about its ending.

Rome is one of the only HBO shows I haven't watched. I started it and got about halfway through the first season before life interrupted it and never got around to finishing it. However, I did just discover it's on Blu-ray so I've added it to the top of my rental queue.

It is one of the best shows I've seen, but fear not DiB, the show does end nicely. It doesn't feel rushed. :)

Rome is one of the only HBO shows I haven't watched. I started it and got about halfway through the first season before life interrupted it and never got around to finishing it. However, I did just discover it's on Blu-ray so I've added it to the top of my rental queue.

Its definitely worth it. Besides the great acting, awesome dialogue, incredible sets and costumes, the show has that added cherry on top of adapting historical events. I'm a history nut so I was sold as soon as I saw the DVD cover. I still can't figure out why I didn't research this show before I watched it. I should've watched this years ago.

It is one of the best shows I've seen, but fear not DiB, the show does end nicely. It doesn't feel rushed. :)

Thats good. I was a bit worried the latter half of Season 2 would feel rushed since I'd read the writers had to cram a lot of the planned Season 3 material towards the end of the season. I look forward to it.

Still think it would've been nice to see Antony and Cleopatra's romance and time in Egypt, and how they would've handled the rise of Christ.

I'd heard there were plans to continue the show with a movie or mini-series, which would be awesome if true, but I doubt that'll happen.

Thats good. I was a bit worried the latter half of Season 2 would feel rushed since I'd read the writers had to cram a lot of the planned Season 3 material towards the end of the season.

Actually Season 2 is rushed, but it's balanced well and doesn't hurt the story but compared to season 1 it zooms by, They actually used everything they have planned for seasons 2, 3, and 4 and put it into one season. Just to give perspective, Season 2 was suppose to end with
The Death of Brutus
. I don't want to spoil anything DIB but you do see plenty of Egypt in Season 2, but
the original plan for Season 5 would have been about the rise of christ.
which does have it's foundations building in season 2

Last edited:
i've only watched the 1st couple of episodes online and they were fantastic, but I have been putting it off until I pick up the dvd's. so that I can fully enjoy it on a bigger screen then my laptop.

Actually Season 2 is rushed, but it's balanced well and doesn't hurt the story but compared to season 1 it zooms by, They actually used everything they have planned for seasons 2, 3, and 4 and put it into one season. Just to give perspective, Season 2 was suppose to end with
The Death of Brutus
. I don't want to spoil anything DIB but you do see plenty of Egypt in Season 2, but
the original plan for Season 5 would have been about the rise of christ.
which does have it's foundations building in season 2

Thats reassuring. Thanks. Especially that last part...thats interesting. I'm only 1 episode into Season 2 so I'll be keeping an eye and ear out.

i've only watched the 1st couple of episodes online and they were fantastic, but I have been putting it off until I pick up the dvd's. so that I can fully enjoy it on a bigger screen then my laptop.

Normally I would say don't bother, but with the lavish costumes and impressive sets (both in terms of detail and scale), a bigger screen will definitly give you your money's worth. And like I said, I found both seasons at WalMart for $20 each, so the DVDs are affordable as opposed to a few years ago where each season was around $60-80.

I finished watching the entire series a few days ago, and have started to re-watch them all with the All Roads Lead to Rome bonus feature, which pops up interesting and relatable historical facts concerning ancient Rome in relation to the action and events on screen. It helps flesh out the pre-Christian world much better, and puts certain characters' actions in a new light (and more understanding light, given the Roman obsession with power and conquest).

I wish I could squeeze the goodness out of this show into a glass and drink it.

I finished watching the entire series a few days ago, and have started to re-watch them all with the All Roads Lead to Rome bonus feature, which pops up interesting and relatable historical facts concerning ancient Rome in relation to the action and events on screen. It helps flesh out the pre-Christian world much better, and puts certain characters' actions in a new light (and more understanding light, given the Roman obsession with power and conquest).

I wish I could squeeze the goodness out of this show into a glass and drink it.

for second i read that as
I wish I could squeeze the godess out of this show into a glass and drink it.
:lol:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back