Rome (Spoilers)

Re: ROME series discussion

I missed this when it was on TV and regret it.

Re: ROME series discussion

I thought we already had a thread for this? Maybe we didn't.

My dad and I rented the whole first season last summer and it was amazing. We're looking forward to seeing the second. The titles sequence is one of the best ever. It's so cool that they based it on actual ancient graffiti from back then and then brought it to life.

I'll miss Ciran Hinds as Caesar this season, and the kid who played Octavian since the character's grown up now. They were both terrific.

Last edited:
I didn't see this thread because it wasn't in the TV section, and I'm gonna move it now.

Also - season 2 is out here in about a month, and I can't wait. It's such a goddam good show.

Let us begin talking just how great the "THIRTEEN!" arena fight with Titus and Lucius at the end of season 1 was.

It was *stretches out arms* THIS GREAT!

It was *stretches out arms* THIS GREAT!

I thought it was *stretches out arms farther* THIS great.

Seriously...HBO makes the best shows. This show was just superb all over. The only detractor for me was learning everyone's name. It was slow the first 2-3 episodes because I was still trying to learn all the characters' names without seeing them onscreen...but once I did. Wow.

You'll love season 2 Bass. It's so great that I'd go gay for it if it were a man.

This is such a fantastic show. I'm watching the 2nd season on DVD right now, and I've just finished episode five. The first season was amazing, and the second season is just as good. Easily one of the greatest, like, ever.

Also- I can't believe there's only ten episodes this season. I know it was cancelled, but still, I've only seen five episodes and I'm already halfway done with the season. Needless to say, I am not amused.

The 2nd Season comes out mid-september over here and I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Wow . . . I just saw Episode Six: Phillipi. It's amazing. At the risk of posting spoilers, I'll just say that it's one of the best of the season, maybe of the series.

I will say this, though: the battle scenes in Rome, though few and far between, are spectacular- and spectacularly brutal.

:shock: Holy Crap!

I just viewed the finale of Rome, and what a finale it was. James Purefoy's performance was mind-blowingly good, as was everyone else's. This show actually had a really well thought out, very well written, and very satisfying series finale. I know some shows kind of peter out toward the end, but Rome remained strong throughout the entire second season.

I don't know if I should put the following ruminations in spoiler text, so I'll do it to be safe.

I thought Mark Antony's death season was amazing, as was Cleopatra's. Vorenus's death was aptly sad, and I loved that his children finally forgave him. Love how it ended, too, with Vorenus telling young Caeserion, "Look, about your father--", of corse implying that he will tell him the truth once and for all.

Atia continues to amaze. Her final lines and looks made the series finale truly special in my view. She expressed such breadth and skill of acting in those final scenes, where she looked at her son and realized what a monster he had become. And of course, there was her final line, spoken to Livia, which I think is one of the best in the series: "I know who you are. I can see you. You're swearing now that someday, you'll destroy me. Remember, far better women than you have sworn to do the same. Go look for them now."

All things included, I think Rome stands out as one of the greatest television series of all time. I know that sounds like high praise, but I think that this show fully deserves any praise heaped upon it.

I watched the final season this week.

It was ****ing brilliant. I agree with the Volunteer Fire Detective. Fantastic season.

Wow . . . I just saw Episode Six: Phillipi. It's amazing. At the risk of posting spoilers, I'll just say that it's one of the best of the season, maybe of the series.

I will say this, though: the battle scenes in Rome, though few and far between, are spectacular- and spectacularly brutal.

Completely agree.

Latest posts

Back