Runaways Vol. 2 #25-30 (Joss Whedon/Michael Ryan) (Spoilers)

Re: Runaways series discussion (spoilers)

I don't understand the hatred.

It was enjoyable enough.

From what I gather, the general consensus is that this arc wasn't good enough to take as long as it did to come out.

EDIT: On another note, does anyone think that readers will be lost specifically because Joss is done?

Last edited:
Re: Runaways series discussion (spoilers)

It's been almost a month to the day since #30 was released, and I have still not gotten my subscribed issue.

Has anyone else gotten this problem, or do you guys have the benefits of a LCS?

Re: Runaways #25-30 (Joss Whedon/Michael Ryan) (Spoilers)

I'm almost finished with this, but this has been one of the worst comic book arcs I've ever read. This is NOT Runaways, no matter what the title says. I loves me some Whedon, but I think Vaughan never should have approved him for the book in the first place, no matter how big a fan Joss was/is.

I'm almost finished with this, but this has been one of the worst comic book arcs I've ever read. This is NOT Runaways, no matter what the title says. I loves me some Whedon, but I think Vaughan never should have approved him for the book in the first place, no matter how big a fan Joss was/is.

I'm surprised when I read stuff like this - and this isn't the first time I've heard that the arc is really bad. I haven't read it yet because I'm still not through Vaughan's run but I can't believe it's that bad.

Agreed. It wasn't one of the worst I've ever read. But I think I called it 'the worst story by a great writer I've ever read.'

I'm surprised when I read stuff like this - and this isn't the first time I've heard that the arc is really bad. I haven't read it yet because I'm still not through Vaughan's run but I can't believe it's that bad.
I have eight words for you that sum up why Whedon shouldn't be allowed to play in other peoples' sandboxes:

Twelve-year old homophobic racist mutant child bride.

I loves me some Whedon, but I think Vaughan never should have approved him for the book in the first place....

CB Cebulski should've taken over until they found a suitable replacement.

LONERS CREW 4 LIFE!

CB Cebulski should've taken over until they found a suitable replacement.

LONERS CREW 4 LIFE!

LONERS!

cbandthelonersgh2.jpg

Is completely appropriate for a girl who comes from that time period.
And I'm sure that's very comforting to the post-Whedon writer now stuck writing a twelve-year old homophobic racist mutant child bride in a book with an alien lesbian and an alien shape-shifting asexual who presents themself as a black man most of the time and a black lesbian to be with the alien lesbian, not to mention the century of temporal displacement.

It was an interesting idea for a character, the racism and homophobia lessened it, and bringing her back to the present is going to lead to either lots of 'hyuck-hyuck-hyuck, poor Klara's inept in the present, isn't that funneh?' or just plain tiresome problems as she tries to adjust to a world that death by old age would have kept her from ever seeing naturally. I mean seriously, how long is Klara epic failing at using a TV or a kitchen appliance or something going to amuse you?

Well I just read this arc.

Pros:
-Nico powers up, though I'm not sure how.
-Chase is mostly non broody.
-I thought Molly was done well.
-I thought the first three issues had a good start.
-The Yorkes as the bad guys was a good idea.

Cons:
-I don't think the Punisher would really waste his time with kids who were trying to steal something.
-WTF was up with Victor!? Having people fall in love at first sight is ****ing lazy writing, if you want them to have an attraction to each other at first sight, fine, but then you have to build a relationship. **** can't just happen! I mean right before this arc he had an awesome moment where he saved Nico from death and they start a romantic relationship that is founded on a previous relationship.
-Old Lace barely shows up. BOOO!
-Nico lets some unshaven tart make moves on her caliente cyborg!? And tries to help them get it on!? She's gotta be a ****ing Skrull (not Xavin though).
-I'm also pissed about how Chase just disappears then shows up with his dad's Fistigons, that in itself has way more potential to be an interesting story than "little girl gets a matching set of black eyes" which brings me to...
-Klara: Whedon, why would you introduce a character and shove her into the main cast at the end of the arc and not even make her related to the main story arc!? She's a ****ing side story! It's like if I was writing a book about me setting a world record for having the most threesomes in one day, but then I have a chapter where I go get a burger, bring it home with me, and abstain on the sex until both girls agree to have a bite (of the burger) even though they're both vegetarians. It doesn't make sense Joss!
-Has the Kingpin always used ninjas?
-Does it bug anyone else that no one in 1907 New York tries very hard to hide their powers?
-Nobody was really a main antagonist to the Runaways, sure there were bad guys, but nobody was all "I will make you rue the day you ran away!".
-WTF was a robot doing in 1907 New York?

That's all I can think of for now. This wasn't the worst story I've ever read, but it was by far the worst Runaways story I've ever read. The bar hasn't been set low, it's been taken off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back