Runaways Vol. 2 #25-30 (Joss Whedon/Michael Ryan) (Spoilers)

Re: Runaways series discussion (spoilers)

CONTINUITY ERROR! When they're on the roof right after leaving the Leapfrog, Karolina reaches for her bracelet, which she DOESN'T USE ANYMORE! I am filled with fangirl rage.

Yeah, I'm 90% sure that that's Old Nico. The artifact they steal is probably the MacGuffin that sends them back in time. It'll probably result in a huge mess that causes massive property damage, emotional trauma, and will somehow allow them to escape the Kingpin without selling their souls.

How's Karolina supposed to walk around New York without her bracelet? Does she have control over her powers now? I forget.

I noticed that too and thought she threw it out or something earlier, but then I figured she needed it for disguise. But I might be wrong.

You forgot the part where Molly says that not-She-Hulk has fake boobs.

I read the it again, and realised how much I didn't like it. I take back my previous statements. This issue sucked.

There are certain parts of this issue that made me feel like Whedon didn't read Vaughan's last script before writing this one. Especially the lack of the Nico/Victor relationship. Nico/Karolina becoming a couple would seem out of Nico's characterization in Vaughan's last few issues..

Oh well.

How's Karolina supposed to walk around New York without her bracelet? Does she have control over her powers now? I forget.

I noticed that too and thought she threw it out or something earlier, but then I figured she needed it for disguise. But I might be wrong.

Yes. They talked about it when she and Xavin first got back.

And there was a Nico/Victor relationship.

Nico: Stop riding me, Victor.
Chase: That's not what she said last night.

They just weren't making out or anything because Victor is pissed at her.

Yes. They talked about it when she and Xavin first got back.

And there was a Nico/Victor relationship.

Nico: Stop riding me, Victor.
Chase: That's not what she said last night.

They just weren't making out or anything because Victor is pissed at her.

Reasonably. I'd be pissed at Nico too. Stupid gothtard.

I kind of liked this issue the first time I read it. I've gone through it a couple more times now, and I'm liking it less and less. Especially after re-reading my Runaways TPB's and back issues. I can't help but just feel that "this is not Vaughn. I want my Vaughn back".

You forgot the part where Molly says that not-She-Hulk has fake boobs.

I read the it again, and realised how much I didn't like it. I take back my previous statements. This issue sucked.

You've got to get over that, dude. Runaways is never going to be the same again, and it's only going to get even more different once Whedon leaves the book. Hell, we're lucky he took over.

How likely is it that Marvel would find a feminist dude who's good at writing teens and works good with witty banter to take over for Vaughan? I mean, it's not exactly the same, but then again, it shouldn't be. It's not Vaughan. And while I love the dude to death, the last couple of issues with him were a little weaker than normal. We'll always be comparing any writers to Vaughan, but that's just because Vaughan left while he was at the top of his game.

but that's just because Vaughan left while he was at the top of his game.

And the fact that we saw nothing but the top of Vaughan's game. I want him back, too, but only after a haitus long enough to show us if the series really can survive without him.

It's not Vaughan. And while I love the dude to death, the last couple of issues with him were a little weaker than normal. We'll always be comparing any writers to Vaughan, but that's just because Vaughan left while he was at the top of his game.

That seems like a bit of a contradiction.

And the fact that we saw nothing but the top of Vaughan's game. I want him back, too, but only after a haitus long enough to show us if the series really can survive without him.

Exactly. And I think Whedon's got what it takes. His book's going to be different, but that doesn't mean it will be worse.

:D Besides, Vaughan deserves his own legacy book firmly entrenched in one of the Big Two universes.

That seems like a bit of a contradiction.

Not at all. Vaughan's last few issues were weaker than normal, like you could start to see signs of fatigue in his writing, but they were still on the same quality plateau he's been riding along since issue one of the series.

The only thing I'm really worried about in Whedon's characterization of the kids is that Chase is just going to turn into Xander from Buffy. Please don't do that, Joss.

Last edited:

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. On one hand---the book was still awesome. But it didn't feel the same or just quite right.

MWoF got it right when he made the Bendis/Brubaker comparison. The first issue here feels like the first issue Brubaker did when he took DD's reigns. It's great.....but it's obviously different.

Still looking forward to Whedon's run.

Seems like fanboy Victor would be more in danger of that than Chase.

Victor has powers. I'm worried Chase is going to end up as the useless guy who cracks jokes on the side, and is always left to keep watch.

Right, I forgot he was the only one who could pilot the Frog (competently). That's why he has to wait outside--he's the getaway driver.

What I'm worried about is that we've already seen someone else pilot the Leapfrog, and Old Lace has shown she doesn't really listen to him. I just want to see him get more opportunities for that Bender-like, switchblade-slinging action.

He's the Runaways' Howlin' Mad Murdoch.

I think eventually he might gain an interest in engineering or something and end up making his own weapons.

Latest posts

Back