Runaways Vol. 3 #10 (Yost/Asmus/Pichelli/Rios or some combination thereof)

McCheese

RUNAWAYS #10
Written by CHRISTOPHER YOST & JAMES ASMUS
Pencils by SARA PICHELLI & EMMA RIOS
Cover by DAVID LAFUENTE
When Runaway Molly Hayes responds to the X-Men's psychic invitation welcoming all mutants to a new home in San Francisco, she declares it "Moll-ifest Destiny" and heads to the Headlands to investigate! But when she finds herself back-to-back with Wolverine, cornered by a villain with a vendetta, she might find being an X-Man isn't just secret clubhouses and cool-looking costumes...
40 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99
Taking bets now on which kids Yost and his new dance partner will kill and in what order.

Re: Runaways Vol. 3 (Yost/Asmus/Pichelli/Rios or some combination thereof)

Taking bets now on which kids Yost and his new dance partner will kill and in what order.
Well, seeing how in X-Force Yost was bringing people back to life and not killing kids anymore, I'd say it's more like "How many issues until Gert returns?". :p

I'd like to see a Runaways story where Molly gets possessed by Alex or the Gibborim or whatever and beats up everyone.

I haven't read any Runaways since BKV's run ended.

AND I DON'T WANT TO.

Well, seeing how in X-Force Yost was bringing people back to life and not killing kids anymore, I'd say it's more like "How many issues until Gert returns?". :p
Which is a move that, if done well, I wouldn't mind at all. I liked Gert a lot.

I'm actually a little excited about this. New X-Men under Kyle and Yost was a dirty tease. Just enough really good moments to keep you reading through all the mindless, stupid violence and unnecessary deaths. If Yost can keep from killing a cast member every other issue this could be really good. I'll admit to never having read anything by Asmus. So no comment there.

As far is the art, I've never heard of either of these ladies. But I looked them up and it does seem like it will be a significant step up from Humberto Ramos' ridiculously cartoonish and confusing panels.

I gave up on caring about Runaways a loooooong time ago.

Whedon wasn't Vaughan, but at least he wasn't Moore.
I really wish they'd give this book the respect they have for Nextwave, and just save it for Vaughan/Alphona. If not that, then for genuinely special creative teams.

Vaughan says this team was his gift to Marvel, and that may be so, but the general nature of 'Story Arc" based storytelling means that new characters take a long time to become established, revered members of any company's pantheon. And, as much as I love them, Runaways could still up and vanish if the stories told using them arn't A+ quality.

Sigh.

Last edited:

Whedon wasn't Vaughan, but at least he wasn't Moore.
I really wish they'd give this book the respect they have for Nextwave, and just save it for Vaughan/Alphona. If not that, then for genuinely special creative teams.

Vaughan says this team was his gift to Marvel, and that may be so, but the general nature of 'Story Arc" based storytelling means that new characters take a long time to become established, revered members of any company's pantheon. And, as much as I love them, Runaways could still up and vanish if the stories told using them arn't A+ quality.

Sigh.
Alphona quit comics and Vaughn only wants to do creator owned stuff from now on. So not much chance of the band getting back together.

Alphona quit comics and Vaughn only wants to do creator owned stuff from now on. So not much chance of the band getting back together.

I would take Vaughan/Ryan, if he were ever willing to return.
Crap, I'd take assorted Whedon miniseries, if that's what it came down to.

I've never been clear as to why Alphona quit comics. Fill me in on the details?

I would take Vaughan/Ryan, if he were ever willing to return.
Crap, I'd take assorted Whedon miniseries, if that's what it came down to.
Vaughn seems pretty busy and I don't see him returning. And personally the last thing I'd want to see is more of Whedon's Runaways.

I think Marvel is doing the right thing in searching for a new team, but they should really focus on finding someone who is interested in doing the book long term and has a clear, interesting plan for the team.
I've never been clear as to why Alphona quit comics. Fill me in on the details?
Wish I could, but I don't know the specifics either.

The problem is that RUNAWAYS, even Whedon's RUNAWAYS, feels a bit like fan fiction. No one seems to be owning it as they write it. Whedon puts them in the past and adds a new member to the team. Moore just has them go back to living in California but Xavin goes. No one wants to touch Gert.

It's the new GEN 13. People will like it because of the hip, teeny-bopper nature, but no one knows what to do with it.

BKV's runs were all, in a way, a set up for a franchise. It's one big 'coming of age' type of story. (This isn't a bad thing.) But no one knows what the 'franchise' is. It's floundering, looking for an identity.

It may get one. It might not. Time will tell.

I didn't know he got rid of Xavin.
This annoys me immensely.

It annoys you because he's gone or it annoys you it was a spoiler and you weren't warned?

It annoys you because he's gone or it annoys you it was a spoiler and you weren't warned?

That he's gone. I'm in a spoiler thread, it's entirely my fault if I take some. This team hasn't had an identity since Vaughan's run, and it annoys the hell out of me. It's why I feel the story-arc methodology of modern monthlies is so harmful; when you have a standalone each month, you have plenty of opportunity to add to the continuities of each character. When you're stuck with a six-month long storyline, something big practically *has* to happen to make most readers feel like it was worth their while.

I really enjoyed Vaughan's tendency to write a Six-issue arc, followed by two or three three-issue arcs, followed by a meaningful six-issue arc. It gave some time for the kids to develop.

But now we've had two team-shift stories in a row.

How lame.

Last edited:

It looks like Yost will do only issue #10 as this is all we get for #11's solicit:
RUNAWAYS #11

Written by CLASSIFIED

Penciled by CLASSIFIED

Cover by CLASSIFIED

CLASSIFIED

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

The fact that everything is classified, including the creative team, really intrigues me, especially because this is Runaways.

I'm hoping that maybe Quesada's gearing up to try to do what he failed to do (after promising to do so) with Whedon on the title, which is make Runaways a "Top 10 Book".

But even the Top 20-30 is wishful thinking.... right?

*crosses fingers*

Latest posts

Back