Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins is an upcoming 2009 television movie produced by Cartoon Network and Warner Premiere, directed by Brian Levant and distributed by Warner Home Video based on the hit Hanna-Barbera cartoon classic, Scooby-Doo. It will be a prequel to the theatrical films Scooby-Doo and Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, in the vein of The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas.

The telefilm will premiere Sunday September 13, 2009 on Cartoon Network in honor of Scooby-Doo's 40th Anniversary

DVD & Bluray release date = September 22nd.

Trailer :

[youtube]JXM8k0xRJ60[/youtube]

Official site : http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/scoobymovie/index.html

Why make an entire thread for this little thing?

Fred and Shaggy have brown hair? Velma's Asian?

The real mystery is why this even got made.

Last edited:
Why make an entire thread for this little thing

Depends on your point of view on little thing. After all a 3rd movie while first two both made $275,650,700 and $181,466,833 = not such a little thing. Plus Scooby Doo like it or not he's an iconic character in cartoons.

It's like you made a thread for "Tekken: The Live Action Movie!" which when you consider how it's a based on game that doesn't sell as much as others in it's genre e.g Soulcalibur or Street fighter. That would make that a "little thing" from a certain point of view.

Fred and Shaggy have brown hair? Velma's Asian?

Hair colour in 1 + 2 looked more dyed/bleached and pretty much was as Freddie Prinze jr and Matthew Lillard are both dark haired. This = Prequel so it could be before they changed hair colours.

The Asian thing isn't that big a deal as her hair style ect.. implies she's still the same character so she may be Asian but in the film she might not be, she might just look it.

The real mystery is why this even got made.

Not really. In honour of Scooby-Doo's 40th Anniversary they made a new film. It'd done by Cartoon network so I can assume its a film for kids and fans of the old show.

Will it be great? Most likely no. But it looks fun and in honesty what's wrong with a fun family movie? You don't want to see it? Then don't. Personally I'l buy dvd or bluray and hopefully enjoy it.

Last edited:
This is depressing.

I am one of the four people (including Mole, I'm guessing) who actually liked the other live-action movies and I loved how they were so tongue-in-cheek while being respectful to the old cartoons at the same time. I love how all of the monsters in the second one are from the classic shows.

This new thing is clearly just being played completely straight and only for young kids, which is an absolutely idiotic approach.

Not to mention the cast all look, sound and are absolutely awful. Even CG Scooby's eyes are paedophile-white, instead of the quasi-realistic looking eyes he had in the last two movies.

Last edited:
Why a prequel? Isn't a Pup Named Scooby Doo enough?

No it's not :lol: coincidently in usa the day the film comes out the game Scooby-Doo! First Frights comes out. Which is ...
Players take on the role of young Scooby-Doo and the teenage versions of the character's to solve their very first cases
another scooby prequel :lol:

This is depressing.

I am one of the four people (including Mole, I'm guessing) who actually liked the other live-action movies and I loved how they were so tongue-in-cheek while being respectful to the old cartoons at the same time. I love how all of the monsters in the second one are from the classic shows.

"respectful to the old cartoons" it wasn't with things like Scrappy as a villain, Daphne doing fighting just because Sarah Michelle Gellar and more that were not respectful to the original.

That said I liked them for what they were and I agree Scooby 2 is more fun IMO but thats because 2 was a bit closer to originals.

This new thing is clearly just being played completely straight and only for young kids, which is an absolutely idiotic approach.

Why? Scooby is a kids show and it's on cartoon network a network for kids. That is why I'm more exited for it as original = Kids show, this = kids film. It stand to be closer I hope.

Not to mention the cast all look, sound and are absolutely awful. Even CG Scooby's eyes are paedophile-white, instead of the quasi-realistic looking eyes he had in the last two movies.

I liked some of the cgi as the ghosts looked cool. Scooby I agree he looks worse but this is a made for tv movie. You can not expect a made for tv movie to have the effects of big budget and big release cinema movie.

As for the cast I liked 2 of them.Shaggy his voice sounded like Matthew Lillard's Shaggy from 1 and 2 but younger which is great for a preview. Also Velma's voice and mannerisms with glasses ect.. are a great Velma and very similar to Linda Cardellini's version.

Not seen too much Fred and Daphne to judge but they could be pretty cool as Fred seemed top have the same confidence as Freddie Prinze Jr's Fred but a little more awkward like I could see that version of fred been in high school.

I think it has promise.

"respectful to the old cartoons" it wasn't with things like Scrappy as a villain, Daphne doing fighting just because Sarah Michelle Gellar and more that were not respectful to the original.

No, they were enhancing it. It didn't have to be a carbon copy. They were introducing new ideas. Characterisation.

This new thing is just doing a live-action cartoon for the sake of it and not bothering to be anything except brainless kid 'fun'.

Scrappy was the villain in the first film because everyone hates Scrappy. He's the epitome of a younger, annoyingly energetic character brought in to appeal to infants.

Why? Scooby is a kids show and it's on cartoon network a network for kids. That is why I'm more exited for it as original = Kids show, this = kids film. It stand to be closer I hope.

So you prefer slapstick and zero characterisation to clever, referential humour and character-growth? :?

The best kinds of "Kid's Films" are the ones that appeal to Adults as well. See: Toy Story.

I liked some of the cgi as the ghosts looked cool. Scooby I agree he looks worse but this is a made for tv movie. You can not expect a made for tv movie to have the effects of big budget and big release cinema movie.

It would require the same amount of time and effort to make Scooby Doo's eyes look like an actual dog's eyes (a brown circle and a black circle) than it would to make them look like they do in this thing (a white circle and a black dot). You can't use the budget argument.

No, they were enhancing it. It didn't have to be a carbon copy. They were introducing new ideas. Characterisation.

This new thing is just doing a live-action cartoon for the sake of it and not bothering to be anything except brainless kid 'fun'.

Scrappy was the villain in the first film because everyone hates Scrappy. He's the epitome of a younger, annoyingly energetic character brought in to appeal to infants.

So going by that Batman Begins could have had Bruce Wayne now working at McDonalds after he left Gotham and stays there through the whole film. Oh and since batman fans seem to hate robin , he's the villain! After all that would be introducing new ideas. Characterisation. Right?

The fact was a lot of things they did were the opposite of what the characters were. Fans don't like scrappy? You leave him out. He was a good guy who enjoyed helping and kinda had hero worship for his uncle not a crazy generic villain who swears.

Daphne got kidnapped it was her thing. Like Scooby and shaggy been useless yet actually ending up been the ones who stopped the villains. It was part of what made it work. They changed so much it was almost not scooby any more.

So you prefer slapstick and zero characterisation to clever, referential humour and character-growth? :?

For Scooby yes. It's like they added a backstory and motivationns ect.. to the Grinch in the Jim Carrey version. You know what? The cartoon of the Grinch > Live action version despite the fact I actually like and own both the stuff they added wasn't what made the Grinch work.

Same for scooby, I like things like character development in other things but in scooby the characters had been the same since 1972 and was still popular and cool for a reason. The changes were not needed. There's a difference between clever character development and pointless unneeded changes.

The best kinds of "Kid's Films" are the ones that appeal to Adults as well. See: Toy Story.

Yes but Toy story was not based on an old property. Remember The Flintstones movies? They tried to appeal to both and were not as great as the original cartoon. Inspector Gadget tried it too and again it failed to capture the things that made the original great.

Toy story was an original property that could appeal to both. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990 film) captured what made the original and cartoon work and you know what? The fans liked it. You said it yourself previously with :
I am one of the four people (including Mole, I'm guessing) who actually liked the other live-action movies

So why do people not like it? The changes were pointless and it didn't feel like scooby doo. That's all i'm saying.

It would require the same amount of time and effort to make Scooby Doo's eyes look like an actual dog's eyes (a brown circle and a black circle) than it would to make them look like they do in this thing (a white circle and a black dot). You can't use the budget argument.

I can use the budget argument as look at the two :

Movies 1 + 2 Scooby :

The Mystery Begins :

This scooby doo is a lot less detailed than the previous one, Why? Smalled budget for cgi. So this scooby looks smoother and more cartoon-like. Why? it's cheaper to do. You don't think things like cgi scooby are related to budget? it's why the cast of this one is unknowns while previous one had people from things like Buffy and Scream. It's why cgi scooby is much much less detailed as its cheaper and easier to do.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here, because honestly, I can't understand half the sentences that make up your arguments.

I liked the new ideas in the Scooby-Doo movies. This new one doesn't look like it has any new ideas. That's all I have. I am not having a heated argument about Scooby-Doo. If you really want to, just take satisfaction in that.

I like the complaint that the new Scooby Doo movie isn't going to have any character growth. Classic.

I remember being put off by Scrappy as a villain, but I didn't hate the live-action Scooby-Doo films.

Personally, my favorite Scooby story is Zombie Island. Which actually dealt with a lot of same things as the live-action films.

Last edited:
Personally, my favorite Scooby story is Zombie Island. Which actually dealt with a lot of same things as the live-action films.

Mine's Scooby doo meets batman. It's cheesy as hell but damn it It's entertaining :lol:

My kids loved this. They've watched it twice in the past week.

I watched some of it but not enough to form any opinion on it other than it is very poorly cast.

I hate every incarnation of this classic series made since the original. No one was made in character and the plot didn't follow the same tried and true formula from the original version. I'm a crotchety old man and I hate any attempt to adapt the things that I love for a new audience because it makes me feel unappreciated as a member of it's core audience.[/JOE KALICKI]

IT HAS NO POETRY!!![/BASS]

Also: Asian Velma = Win

I hate every incarnation of this classic series made since the original. No one was made in character and the plot didn't follow the same tried and true formula from the original version. I'm a crotchety old man and I hate any attempt to adapt the things that I love for a new audience because it makes me feel unappreciated as a member of it's core audience.[/JOE KALICKI]

IT HAS NO POETRY!!![/BASS]

Also: Asian Velma = Win

Post of the Day. :lol:

Latest posts

Back