Scott's Dirty Deed at Jean's Grave

IcyFlames

Sorry to bring up old news but this is an issue that needs to be resolved (plus it was disrupting another thread). At the end of Grant Morrison's run, Phoenix had to push Scott into loving Emma so that the horrible future wouldn't happen (I think I explained that as simple as possible).

Scott embraced Emma and they kissed...at Jean's grave. This scene is disturbing for its so disrespectful of Jean. But who is at fault?

Is it Scott's for not maintaining some self control and waiting till they got to the car?

Is it Phoenix's fault for making Scott have to do this and thus not caring if this was done at her own grave?

Is it Emma's fault for controlling Scott's mind from that point on and throughout Whedon's run on Astonishing? (OK, I made that last question up, it's not an issue)

Give us your input. Is Cyclops truly a sleazebag? :D

IcyFlames said:
Scott embraced Emma and they kissed...at Jean's grave. This scene is disturbing for its so disrespectful of Jean. But who is at fault?
No one's fault.

IcyFlames said:
Is it Scott's for not maintaining some self control and waiting till they got to the car?
No, because Jean just made them go together right then and there.

IcyFlames said:
Is it Phoenix's fault for making Scott have to do this and thus not caring if this was done at her own grave?
No, because Scott and Emma were just there. It's not like she was gonna wait until they left to be somewhere else, or whatever.

IcyFlames said:
Is it Emma's fault for controlling Scott's mind from that point on and throughout Whedon's run on Astonishing? (OK, I made that last question up, it's not an issue)
It ain't her fault. Don't think she's controlling anyone.

IcyFlames said:
Give us your input. Is Cyclops truly a sleazebag? :D
He's not a sleazebag, but he should have had more self-control.

icemastertron said:
He's not a sleazebag, but he should have had more self-control.

Exactly. Seriously, his wife's grave? Jean could have waited for a few minutes and got them AWAY from there first. Ugh.

Caduceus said:
Exactly. Seriously, his wife's grave? Jean could have waited for a few minutes and got them AWAY from there first. Ugh.
I think you missed Ice's point. What he meant was Cyclops should exercise more self control but it DOESN'T mean he's a sleazebag.

Now having telepathic sex with Emma pretending to be Phoenix... THAT's sleazy.

ourchair said:
I think you missed Ice's point. What he meant was Cyclops should exercise more self control but it DOESN'T mean he's a sleazebag.
There ya go.

ourchair said:
Now having telepathic sex with Emma pretending to be Phoenix... THAT's sleazy.
Yeah, you're right there.

Caduceus said:

Ok, first of all, I don't think she even KNEW there exact location or anything. Second of all, if she waited any longer, Scott would have walked away, left the his X-Man life and everyone elsse behind, and that horrible future would have happaned.

icemastertron said:
Ok, first of all, I don't think she even KNEW there exact location or anything. Second of all, if she waited any longer, Scott would have walked away, left the his X-Man life and everyone elsse behind, and that horrible future would have happaned.

She was watching them, as the Phoenix. She knew exactly where they were. There are other ways of stopping him from making the decision instantaneously, like reducing Scott's uncertainty so that he doesn't actually make the decision until they are away from the grave. Scott's decision was what caused the horrible future, not where Scott decided. But really, if your the Phoenix and your making your husband go off with the woman he was sleeping with, you'd think you'd be upset enough about
a) dying
b) being dumped
c) being cheated on
that you'd at least make them do it somewhere other than YOUR OWN GRAVE

Caduceus said:
She was watching them, as the Phoenix. She knew exactly where they were. There are other ways of stopping him from making the decision instantaneously, like reducing Scott's uncertainty so that he doesn't actually make the decision until they are away from the grave. Scott's decision was what caused the horrible future, not where Scott decided. But really, if your the Phoenix and your making your husband go off with the woman he was sleeping with, you'd think you'd be upset enough about
a) dying
b) being dumped
c) being cheated on
that you'd at least make them do it somewhere other than YOUR OWN GRAVE
Hmm...geez, what could me more important, your own personal feelings or the fate of the humanity....

icemastertron said:
Hmm...geez, what could me more important, your own personal feelings or the fate of the humanity....

Obviously the fate of humanity which is why it had to happen but if your a nearly all powerful cosmic being, then you quite clearly can manage to do it somewhere other than your own grave.

Caduceus said:
Obviously the fate of humanity which is why it had to happen but if your a nearly all powerful cosmic being, then you quite clearly can manage to do it somewhere other than your own grave.
But what people obviously just don't understand, is that it's not like Jean was gonna wait for them to go elsewhere. Scott was walking away. How do we know that if Jean waited, that Scott would come back? We don't. So it happened at Jean's grave. Yes, it is wrong, but you have to look past that and see the bigger picture. Scott and Emma kissing at Jean's grave was the least problem to worry about.

We're just getting circular here. Jean had to do SOMETHING. Making her husband make out at her own grave was by no means her only option. But unless someone else has something new to add, this is pretty much dead.

Latest posts

Back