Searching for a particular Planet of the Apes short story in one of those old Gold Key/Marvel POTA comics from the '70s?

mxw

Greetings! This is a strange one, because it has haunted me my whole life (I am 54) and I "think" I remember this from my childhood. "Think", because I may have dreamed it LOL but so long ago the dream/reality boundaries are blurred!

It was a short story, not part of the main POTA narrative. Sort of tacked on to the end of a comic. Basically set in the barren desolate Forbidden Zone, perhaps 1000s of years in the future (?). At the very end of time? Taylor (I'll call him "Taylor" but I'm not 100% certain it was him) is being hunted by a gorilla (let's call him Ursus). There's no one else around, it's just them, the hunter and the hunted, in this desolate apocalyptic setting. There's some shouting and threats at each other, a struggle, one of them gets wounded etc. Taylor is questioning Ursus about his blind-driven hate for humans. At the end they are interrupted by the discovery of two tall metal poles sticking out of the ground, looking out of place amid the desolation. It is some kind of portal? Ursus runs through the metal poles and disappears. Taylor follows. The End.

Does this strange little story ring a bell with anyone? Or did I seriously dream it? It definitely has a dream-like quality to it. Also I think the telepathic mutants from "Beneath" were somehow involved, maybe disembodied entities somehow watching our two protagonists(?).

Now I should mention that I have looked through all these old comics, and cannot find it. Unless I've skipped something...?

Any ideas?

Greetings! This is a strange one, because it has haunted me my whole life (I am 54) and I "think" I remember this from my childhood. "Think", because I may have dreamed it LOL but so long ago the dream/reality boundaries are blurred!

It was a short story, not part of the main POTA narrative. Sort of tacked on to the end of a comic. Basically set in the barren desolate Forbidden Zone, perhaps 1000s of years in the future (?). At the very end of time? Taylor (I'll call him "Taylor" but I'm not 100% certain it was him) is being hunted by a gorilla (let's call him Ursus). There's no one else around, it's just them, the hunter and the hunted, in this desolate apocalyptic setting. There's some shouting and threats at each other, a struggle, one of them gets wounded etc. Taylor is questioning Ursus about his blind-driven hate for humans. At the end they are interrupted by the discovery of two tall metal poles sticking out of the ground, looking out of place amid the desolation. It is some kind of portal? Ursus runs through the metal poles and disappears. Taylor follows. The End.

Does this strange little story ring a bell with anyone? Or did I seriously dream it? It definitely has a dream-like quality to it. Also I think the telepathic mutants from "Beneath" were somehow involved, maybe disembodied entities somehow watching our two protagonists(?).

Now I should mention that I have looked through all these old comics, and cannot find it. Unless I've skipped something...?

Any ideas?
Sounds like the "Evolution's Nightmare" storyline.

Thanks selfishmisery! I am suspecting this is not the story I am seeking, but let me go hunt it down and have a good look! Maybe I am just remembering part of a longer story? Anyway thanks!

Latest posts

Back