Shh... The Silent Film Thread

Planet-man

Toronto, Ontario(by way of the Kepler Verge)
I mentioned City Lights the other day. I've actually been watching a ton of silent cinema lately: Buster Keaton's The General and The Navigator and his two shorts The Boat and The Love Nest plus Chaplin in City Lights and hopefully soon Modern Times and The Great Dictator.

Every single thing on that list was terrific. City Lights is the overall best film, but Keaton's stuff is hilarious(we watched The Navigator tonight and it's been a while since I laughed that hard and often at a comedy movie).

I've seen a bunch of silent stuff since I was a kid but watching so much at once now it really hit me how they're so expressive you don't even notice the lack of dialouge most of the time. It's really fun just to have something so purely visual. Are there any other fans of silent film here? Recommendations/stories, etc?

I watched Modern Times, Birth of a Nation, Metropolis, and Silent Movie.

So. . . that's it.

Birth of a Nation - so racist.

Sherlock Jr. is absolutely amazing. Watch it.

I love that movie...

Alltime favorite silent film is probably "The Man with the Movie Camera"

Also: None of Chaplin's films from Modern Times onward are silent films... I mean, you can make the argument that Modern Times is silent, but there is dialogue outright in Great Dictator, Monsieur Verdoux, and Limelight.

Latest posts

Back