So I'm attempting to get a comic book published...

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Just what the title says. For the past six months or so, I've been plotting, scripting, and writing my very own comic book entitled "Direction".

I don't really want to describe the plot at this point as I've only got the first twenty-five issues completed (script-wise, no art yet), but I'm very happy with the work.

My main question is: how does one go about submitting it to a publisher (comic book preferably, but I'll publish it as a novel or any other way as long as it gets out there), etc?

Do I email, call, etc? And where do you get that info from? Any info would be very much appreciated.

Well with a book I believe you can just look up info on the publisher and just asked them "Hey I have this scipt for a comic and was wondering what I would have to do to get it published", they'll read it and tell you if they liked it or not. I suggest you get a lawyer to look over your contract so they dont screw you over or anything

Last edited:
Each comic company has information on their websites. Most of the time I think it involves telling them the basic plot, and if they're interested, posting them a hardcopy of the script.

ProjectX2 said:
Each comic company has information on their websites. Most of the time I think it involves telling them the basic plot, and if they're interested, posting them a hardcopy of the script.

Thats what I figured, but for the life of me I can't find anything about that on their websites. I'll keep looking though.

Thanks for the info, guys.

And if anyone has some more, please post it!

Well, all I know is that for Marvel, they have a 2-page thing you can print out which tells you the rules about sending ideas to them. And I believe you have to have 2 witnesses signatures as well. Then, if they like it, they'll ask you to go to them to work out a deal in NY or something like that. I can't remember the exact details. They should have it on the site. Always have.

Ice said:
Well, all I know is that for Marvel, they have a 2-page thing you can print out which tells you the rules about sending ideas to them. And I believe you have to have 2 witnesses signatures as well. Then, if they like it, they'll ask you to go to them to work out a deal in NY or something like that. I can't remember the exact details. They should have it on the site. Always have.

Actually I found it (Marvel's, anyway). Yeah, its a PDF file and is called an "Idea Submission Form", which apparently must accompany the treatment or idea you send. I printed it out and saved it, just in case. In terms of DC, they only accept art submissions, so I'm out of luck there. I'm trying to find some independent publishers now.

ProjectX2 said:
Thought I'd put together a few links, since I've looked for the same kind of stuff as well:

Image Comics

A Dark Horse comic competition...

Dark Horse Comics

DC Comics

Marvel Comics

And that finishes off the main comic companies. You can also search for Slave Labour Graphics and the other smaller Indy companies.

Proj, much appreciated. Those will definitly come in handy. Thanks again.

my bf has ones for darkhorse and image. Something about Darkhorse will provide you with an artist and the idea is yours to keep. If you go to dc or marvel i heard you don't get to kep any of the concepts. I don't know if i understood this properly. theres a guy here named prometheus, he's a friend of mine from NC and i know he would know aboout all that.

How'd this go DIrishB?

Its still going, but its going well.

I'm up to issue #34, though I've been going back and rewriting and changing certain aspects of the story for various reasons. The more I edit and change though, the better it gets. Not to say it was crap before, but it really helps to tighten it up and make the story better overall when its gone through the revision gamut.

my bf has ones for darkhorse and image. Something about Darkhorse will provide you with an artist and the idea is yours to keep. If you go to dc or marvel i heard you don't get to kep any of the concepts. I don't know if i understood this properly. theres a guy here named prometheus, he's a friend of mine from NC and i know he would know aboout all that.

Thats cool. I'd actually prefer an independant publisher for the reasons you stated.

I'm actually still in the process of finding an artist for it (though if it gets picked up one will probably be provided...I hope), but I'm meeting with a friend of a friend next week, who's a tattoo artist and supposedly and incredible artist all around...not sure if he's good at the sequential storytelling, but even if not I know his stuff is perfect for the covers at the very least. Very defined and detail-oriented stuff...like Hitch, just a different artistic style.

I might get around to posting some issue scripts here on UC, now that I've written so much of it and don't have to worry about being ripped off quite so much, since the idea has matured into its own entity.

With marvel and DC I dont think you can submit unsolicited material... Your best bet is to try to go for an Indy publisher.

You can submit unsolicited material to Marvel all day (not DC though) but it has to be Marvel characters. They won't help you self publish unless you make them big bucks already or are David Mack for some reason.

They won't help you self publish unless you make them big bucks already or are David Mack for some reason.
Tha'ts true. And even Joe admitted it. For Icons, which as far as I remember reading the "creator owned" little line, is reserved only for high profile big names. JMS, BMB, Mack, Brubaker, Millar, etc.

Yeah, the first thing I learned when checking into all of this was that it probably wasn't going to be a Marvel or DC book...but I have no qualms about being put on comic shelves by a smaller company. Hell, if I can figure out how to, I might even turn it into an online comic...though I'm pretty sure I won't make any money doing it that way...

Latest posts

Back