So why is Ultimates 2 #13 delayed *exactly*? Let Hitch explain!

Only now writing the script for 4 and 5? You have to be kidding me. I thought Joe Q. said he was just about done with all the scripts a few months ago...I get the incessant feeling Marvel really enjoys jerking their fan base around.
Well, I dont have the issue with me so I cant check. But I do remember him saying before sometime last year that he likes to make sure the issue is what it should be before he sends it off to the press.

Well, I dont have the issue with me so I cant check. But I do remember him saying before sometime last year that he likes to make sure the issue is what it should be before he sends it off to the press.

Thats all well and good, but man...it'll be well over a year between #2 and 3 before it comes out, though.

I should be used to these by now, being a mostly Ultimate comic reader. I should be used to it...

Did you expect a midget or an albino?

Of course, it helps to keep in mind that Ultimates 2 #12 came out the end of September. With the now scheduled ship date of March 14 for this, thats a 5 1/2 month stretch between issues.

I was expecting horns and a bifurcated tounge. And a snazzy long black goatee. :wink:

Yeah, 6 months between issues, 3 issues in 2006, this is just silly. I can't wait for Ultimates 4. McGuiness should be able to get it out near monthly.

Honestly, I'm of multiple sides to the issue.

For one thing, at least Hitlar release Ultimates that resembles something like a regular schedule, which is more than one can say for Joe Madureira or Kevin Smith's work ethic. On the other hand, the fact that we accept delays as a given in the business is kind of lowering our standards. Now that's bad.

In some ways, I kind of wish that they just made Ultimates into a series of OGNs/trades instead of going the pamphlet route. But then again, part of my enjoyment of the first half of Ultimates 2 was the bi-monthly schedule --- that serialized form of suspense that made Daredevil (IMO) a better read in singles than in trade.

The sad thing is, some of us probably don't want Hitch, Neary and Martin to go any faster because the art could suffer. In my opinion, I think some degree of pressure and rushing negatively affected the art of Ultimates 2 # 12. Even though it took longer than other issues, it seems like there's a certain element of stress that seeped into the paneling structure and some of the faces. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Well, I think I liked Hitch's art better on The Authority and I don't recall that having any particularly noteworthy delays. He's capable of doing good work on a regular basis. I think the pressure of having to do a "masterpiece" every issue really got to him. And I say that having not really enjoyed Ultimates 2 all that much.

But I am a proponent of the OGN route for these late books. I'm not entirely sure why they refuse to even try it. DC has put out some pretty successful OGNs.

And I hate the term pamphlet. Single is slightly better. I just say monthly, but that's becoming a bit of an anachronism lately. Oh well.

But I am a proponent of the OGN route for these late books. I'm not entirely sure why they refuse to even try it. DC has put out some pretty successful OGNs.
Because Marvel is totally uninterested in long-term planning and only in short-term profit. They have no concern with doing anything remotely resembling 'market development and growth'.

I'm not kidding, I mean this is a company that features ads for Marvel Birthday Cakes, Marvel Inspirational Posters and milkshakes featuring Marvel characters.

Joe Kalicki said:
And I hate the term pamphlet. Single is slightly better. I just say monthly, but that's becoming a bit of an anachronism lately. Oh well.
I hate it too. I'm sorry if it's not clear, but I use the term with the same tone of irony and sarcasm I use for "grrrrrraphic novel."

Even Neil Gaiman likes to correct people who attempt to dress up his career as a 'comic book writer' with the hoity toitiness of 'author of graphic novels'.

Latest posts

Back